Slow down and save

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been researching expediting for a quite some time, only recently started posting here.
When I think of expediting, I think emergency freight, time sensitive or "they need this load there yesterday" freight.
A common theme during my research has been the subject of speed. Yet if you really look closely, it seems to be lack of speed. In an industry where time is of the essence, I notice many(most?) only drive 58-65 mph. I understand why, it just makes me smile every time I see where someone says they cruise @ ~60 mph and they're hauling expedited freight.
It only makes good sense to do all you can to reduce fuel costs.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
But if they really, really need it speeds in excess of 100 mph is not uncommon.:D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I notice many(most?) only drive 58-65 mph. I understand why, it just makes me smile every time I see where someone says they cruise @ ~60 mph and they're hauling expedited freight.
Safety first.

No matter how bad they need it, safety always comes first. IMO

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But if they really, really need it speeds in excess of 100 mph is not uncommon.:D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app
I get passed by them every time.
At that speed, they better get very,very good pay for it. It will cost more to get it there...if they make it there at all.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Speed is a complicated subject. When there is a lack of freight then going slow is the only way to go. But when there is an abundance of good paying freight then wasting a little fuel by going faster is more than made up for by being able to grab the next load without missing a beat.

But of course that brings up the timing issue. Going fast to get somewhere by early afternoon so you can loaded again somewhere else the same day might make sense but racing to get somewhere at 7pm instead of 8 almost never makes sense.

And then there's the insane gubment regs. Yesterday I drove a little faster than I otherwise would have because I was battling my 70 hour clock and wanted to do my 34 hour restart at my drop location. Many times I've had to drive faster than I otherwise would have to satisfy 11 hour, 14 hour or even my 10 hour clock.

It's a complicated subject and we have way too much time on our hands for this brand of mental gymnastics.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even with all the regs, I still will not run triple digits. Every time I leave home on a trip, my goal is to make it back home safely, and of course, make a profit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even with all the regs, I still will not run triple digits. Every time I leave home on a trip, my goal is to make it back home safely, and of course, make a profit.

carriers usually figure out due time at between 45-50 mph.....say a 500 mile load would be set at a 10 hour arrival time......IF you should average at 60 mph that is an 8.5 hour trip.....LOTS of time just to coast depending of course on traffic and weather.....

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
carriers usually figure out due time at between 45-50 mph.....say a 500 mile load would be set at a 10 hour arrival time......IF you should average at 60 mph that is an 8.5 hour trip.....LOTS of time just to coast depending of course on traffic and weather.....
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Does the 45-50mph due time figure work for all vehicles? (cv,st & tt)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem with driving faster so you can get another load quicker is you're doing a lot of those extra loads just to pay for the extra fuel you used driving at that speed. Phew.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I keep my speed @ 62 & have noticed a lot of times the same truck or even a 4-wheeler will pass me a couple of times as I keep poking along.I guess they drink to much & gotta stop a lot.That's what is hard to make up stopping,you lose a mile every minute your stopped.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
it's like driving in city a person who races red light to red light and person who drives at 33 to 45 mph still gets to red light at same time and you do

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...it just makes me smile every time I see where someone says they cruise @ ~60 mph and they're hauling expedited freight.
I'm a turtle and I drive a Sprinter hauling expedited freight. I think that's hilarious.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem with driving faster so you can get another load quicker is you're doing a lot of those extra loads just to pay for the extra fuel you used driving at that speed. Phew.

I drive at 62 most of the time, where legal. I doubt very much I would get any more runs if I drove 70 since the majority of the time I am way ahead of my delivery time. A good bit of the time I am pre-dispatched. I don't see where I would gain anything and would lose a lot of money on fuel by driving faster.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a class 8 straight and when i drive 57 mph i get 13.2 mpg unless im carrying 12,000lbs or going thru mountains. However if the speed limit is 70 or more i feel its not safe to drive at 57 so i do 64.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do 70 if I feel pressed for time, or 65 if I don't. Deadhead? I'll do 60-62; I figure since I'm not earning, I shouldn't be burning, more than I hafta.

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do 60 indicated on the speedometer which is 57 actual speed, most of the time. Rarely I go faster. I save money, 26 mpg, I am more relaxed, plus my sprinter loves me. 612k and going strong. I would drive even slower if it would prevent rust :p

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
When I started I was doing 70mph. I knew going to 60 to 65mph would help. Man it was hard to do. Once I got use to doing 65 it was no problem.