Sleeper option

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Need some input and or opinions.
This is kinda a follow up to Gibsters post.

While we were shopping at the MATS show we found a interesting challenge that has two different approaches.

If you were to drive an owners truck, which would you prefer,

A truck were the cab is open above the drivers seat. (Alumi-bunk or Express cruiser-Sterling)

Or, a 100" sleeper with a toilet and shower, but not the high ceiling in front. Still would be a walkthru, but you would have to duck your head to get into the sleeper. These would be on a Peterbuilt or KW chassis.

The problem we are having is that AB or Bentz truck can't have the shower ect in them. I would have to go to a seperate sleeper like ICT or ARI

If possible, let me know if you are a team. In my case, it made a big difference to the wife. :)

Davekc
owner
20 years

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Man Dave, I wish someone from the sleeper industries were reading your post! Recently we drove a Sterling (a recent post in Truck Talk)
and vowed never again to be in a truck/sleeper without a walkthru.

But it's like 2 different worlds - the options you want are available in a crawlthru and visa versa.

My wife and I have a 96" AA Sleeper, and had talked to them about the sleeper shower config. We're not small people and came to the conclusion our elbows just were not going to like the size of the shower area.

We stuck with our portapotti (less weight, easier to empty) and our shower from Hartline Showers. We put a picture hanging hook in one of the screws in the sleeper top and tie the shower off to it. Plenty of room, no weight really, and very functional!

Dave, if the misses wants more info from my wife about the shower or our sleeper choice, send me a message, we'll give our cell numbers and let's yak.

WE ARE ALL ABOUT COMFORT ON THE ROAD, and like Glen said to be paid to camp with the wife is unbelievable!

The Gibster;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Interesting how that works. I will send you a PM.
Like to know how you store water, and how the water pressure and all that works.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I stopped by AB a few weeks ago to avoid the Detroiter. There was a very nice FL class 8 with a 120" sleeper. Don told me they could put a shower in that unit with 75 gal fresh, 40 gray, and 40 black tanks. This particular unit had an even more open header than the Sterling. I've been thinking a toilet/shower would be nice but can't decide if the weight/space tradeoff is worth it.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Just remembered, didn't Big Bus Bob post pictures of his cab-over sleeper design with shower/toilet when he drove for PII? Couldn't get the pictures to show then someone helped, showed the interior pretty good . . .remember? That was sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Just remembered, didn't Big Bus Bob post pictures of his
>cab-over sleeper design with shower/toilet when he drove for
>PII? Couldn't get the pictures to show then someone helped,
>showed the interior pretty good . . .remember? That was
>sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Didn't see it the first time and didn't find it just now but if anyone can point us to it that would be great.

Leo
truck 4958

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's an interesting looking unit. I've thought about a bunk above the cab as a way to maximize space efficiency. Looking at this shows it can obviously work. I'd like to see one made up on a class 8 platform. I won't ever buy another class 7.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It seems based on other posts ect, that the only class 7 with long term durability is a pete or kw. They seem to pull a better dollar on resale as well. Kinda of a class 7 and a half.

I like the class 8's but not for a fleet truck. After it is 5 or 6 years old, no one is interested in driving them. Rates are not high enough to justify turning them every four or five years.

That has been the issue. I like the large condo walk throughs but need one with large (96") sleeper and shower ect.
That combo currently doesn't exist.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't see why Alumibunk couldn't put the same 120" sleeper with toilet/shower on a class 7 with a C unit size box. Even with the weight of the sleeper and extra tanks there'd still be at least 9000 pounds load capacity on a 33k gvw truck.

Leo
truck 4958

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They could but would have to use a square aluminum box for it. I think there could be some structure issues with it as well. The usual fiberglass ones you see can only go to 96".
When doing a little specing, besides structure issues, cost was a factor. It looked like the upcharge was 20,000 to 25,000. Seems to high for the return. Especially in my situation, as I won't be driving it. This will be a fleet truck, so I have to be somewhat conscious of the cost in order to turn it over in 4 years.

On a side note;
Both BigusBob and chetjester drove the truck in the picture. It had some weight issues with the front axle and eventually, the frame broke. They can give more detail when they see the post. Between constant repairs and no loads, he just about went broke with FedEx.
That picture must be after the fedex disaster.
Davekc

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I can see that truck being a tad bit noise heavy :D

On the shower issue, truckshower.com is a neat looking unit, but 350 bucks?? I can stand up in my van but I am not sure I would shell out that kind of cash.

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Consumer/zodihottaptravelshower.html

Can be bought on ebay refurbed for about 80 bucks. All you need now is some sort of neat way of collecting the waste water (like the truckshower) so it does not run all over your floor. Also makes hot water for what ever your needs are.

Perhaps a large pastic tub? Good lord.. I hope no one gets the idea to put a bath tub in the truck...

Then again.. Those lucky enough to have a wife that will travel with them, might like the idea. I know their wife would :D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I quess you could run a small heater hose outside for the drain, and have a quick disconnect.
Six gallons doesn't seem enough.
We have a 30 gallon tank and a six gallon hot water tank. It last 2 to 3 days with a team. Sink water ect is coming from the same source.
Toilet has its own water system.
Davekc

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
HELLOOOOOO!!!!

WOW, I don't know where to begin... 1st... don't get a bed put above the cab... you might as well get a hammer and bang it against your head. You get the same effect. and it costs less.

The bathroom on that rig was THE BEST. Really, the only good thing about that rig was the plumbing set-up.

if somebody alot more computer literate than me should cut and past (somehow) a pic of just the bathroom and view looking at the fridge on here that would be awesome.
You see in those pics the counter on the right next to the small very uncomfortable sofa... well there was a sink there, and about 12"+ of counter space. under that sink was a 5 gallon HOME hot water heater. That bad boy was awesome! I could take a 15 minute HOT shower in there. The water would heat in about an hour. There was a timer on the wall for the H2O heater, but it began to give us trouble, like sparks. So, we disconnected it and just had it so the switch on the back wall turned on/off the inverter. Then that blew somehow, so we just had to lift up the sofa and turn on the inverter, and then plug in the hot water heater... unplugging it when we got out of the shower. 2 people could take 2 good showers in that truck in less than 1.5 hours. (2 people can also take a shower at once to save time, smile). I know because I had a g/f on the rig with me for a month. The shower was 24" x 24". Don't mount a cabinet down too low on the wall to the left of the toilet unless you want a concussion... seriously.

Regarding the water issue... on custom busses, what we do (sometimes) is pipe the grey and blackwater into one tank - to save space (and dump time).

There was a 40 gallon freshwater tank on there, I'd go with atleast a 60 gallon freshwater tank.

Be sure to get heat strips for it, or it will freeze. Put insulated material of some kind in next to/around that freshwater tank. 40 gallons will take you about 5 days, you can stretch it to 7 days if your real careful. Thats why I say go with 60 gallons freshwater. You'll need a monster power inverter too, the 1500 watt one is what was in there I think.
I would never, you all hear me, NEVER EVER EVER, sleep in a bed above a cab in a sleeper anywhere similar to that again.

Don't do it, that sleeper was 96" plus 54" above the cab. Technically though there was really only about 40" of actual sleeping space. The window was great, in warm weather. in COLD weather it was COLD UP THERE. Don't put a window up there, it looks pretty, it's pretty to look at, so long as the rig was in temps. above 65 degrees. That sleeping space is tough to heat up there, and even tougher to get cool up there. Hot air rises, cool air does not.

I could go on and on and on about that rig. Thats my 2 cents there so far, let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Easy solution to that sleeper,
Remove the window above the cab, it's just loosing heat/cool air out of your sleeper. Use that space for storage and electronics.
Remove the side entry door, move the bathroom forward, and the fridge over onto the right or left side, and put your bunk across the back wall like a normal rig.

if you decide to sleep above a cab, do you know it's illegal in most states to do so while the vehicle is in motion?
just thought I'd mention that too. Not to mention it's just dangerous in general if you roll the rig.

Let me know if I can offer more advice/tips on sleepers like
"The Freaky Freightliner" had.

Later, BigBusBob

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know of another company who does sleepers like that? WOWWWWWW

I agree with Bob about using the area above the cab for storage. The old international eagle condo cabovers did the same thing.

Bob, it doesn't surprise me that you had so many electrical problems. Bunk-o-junk is notorious for not using good equipment in that regard... or any other as far as I'm concerned. :p

T-hawk

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Here ya go Bob!

(per his request to have pics of the bathroom and kitchen on his old truck posted)

Dreamer

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Double Eagle, AA Sleeper, Kingsly Coach, Bentz, ICT, they'll all probably do up a monster like that... if you shell out enough money. That rig was about $80,000 USED. Therefore, imagine what it would cost new, probably every bit of 140+.

Those pics were taken before PII and FedEx had it.

They were also taken before a liftgate was put on.
That is a 22' Cargo box though. 96", plus 54" above the cab.

One thing I didn't mention, is how fun it was to clean the bugs and junk off the front wall of the sleeper between the cab and bottom of the overhang on the sleeper.
That was a constant battle to keep that portion clean.

The box on the drivers side held the 40 gallon freshwater tank, and you could easily put a 60 gallon tank in there.

The rig was formerly a race car hauler - prior to having the cargo box put on it, it pulled a gooseneck race car trailer.

I think Alumi-bunk took it upon return this year and set fire to it, I think they invited electricians from everywhere east of the MS River to watch. I told them I'd provide the marshmellows. Smile!

Next time, I want a contract (signed)...
NO handshake is gonna do it for me.

Later, Bob

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
There you go fleet owners. Give these folks a Tajh to camp in while on the road, and look what happens. "The roof is too low, the sleeping area is too small, yada,yada,yada". And they go away, anyway. I still maintain, if you wanna go camping, buy a Winnebago, and leave the trucking to us truckers.