Sleeper Essentials

InIdaho

Seasoned Expediter
Ok it appears for me a "d" will make the most cents, So the max sleeper is about 96"

Available Benz & AA sleepers seem rather similarly configured, but other than a double bunk what would you guys say are the essentials in a sleeper? What would you do with the remaing 42-48"

Is the dinette table/bed better than the removable stowaway table system? Is a Shower n Toilet combo worth the space they require? Microwaves & fridges seem to be a standard but never a stove. Any ideas?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have the AA sleeper with the stowaway table and that has to be the biggest waste of space in this sleeper. We covered up that hole in the floor and threw the table away. You need to think about how you will spend your time while waiting? What do you guys like to do watch TV, read, or watch people? That will tell you if you want a table or the bed. To start out I do not think I would go with the shower/toilet combo as these items are readily available at truck stops. The more amenities you add starting out the higher the cost of the truck. As new O/O you are going to make newbie's mistakes and the less over head you have the easier to over come these problems.

I would go with the bare essentials the lowest payment and I would actually look at a used truck until you got your feet wet. Then decide for the next truck what you are willing to spend your hard earned money on!

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I do not have the sofa type. I will list what I do have. I eat all meals in my truck (that saves a lot of $)
1. Large Refrig/Freezer
2. Sink with running water
3. Closet and storage space
4. Double bunk (Lower being the larger of the 2)
5. Reclining chair
6. Micro/Confection oven
7. TV/DVD
8. I run single so the top bunk space has Coffee maker, George Foreman, toaster and electric can opener as well as copy machine and printer.
God, I feel like I am at home. Not quite, don't have the wife or the dog.
Hope this helps
robsdad

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I would also echo the advice of TeamCaffee, there are many used trucks to choose from at this time. If you are just jumping in, used is the way to go. Lower payments, lower down payment allows you to keep more cash on hand during the learning process. Trust me, I read many posts on hear prior to my purchase. The folks on here will help you make the right decision if you will follow their advice. There will be a learning curve.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
A sleeper is like underwear... better fit right otherwise you will be miserable while in it.

Our essentials may not necessarily be your essentials, so you will need to do some soul searching and decide what is important for you.

Ask yourself if you plan to prepare meals in your sleeper and what devices you will need or can get by with for that?

How do you plan on passing your time on the road? Will you need anything special in the sleeper to accommodate that?

Shower & toilet? Would not be without it.

We have a special storage cabinet in our sleeper for our electric guitars... both Nicole and I play and so this is just one of the things we do with down time. This is an example of what I mean... decide what you want in there that will make the sleeper your own and a good fit.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would listen carefully to teamCaffee - and to throw this in; don't even worry about the size of the sleeper, I think that even though this may sound odd, just worry about the size of the box and the truck itself. If you end up with a 72" sleeper, there is plenty of room to do a lot of things with it, even with a H/W or B/G team. For example I am starting to 'remodel' my 72" now and I will end up with a sink, a very large fridge, a microwave/convection oven and a toilet (which I already have). I also have a lot, no make that too much storage space and keep things in the truck that I should leave at home.

There are a lot, a lot of trucks out there at a really good price and if you put the money into a truck up front and not make it well it is a pain to get rid of the truck.

About the make of the sleeper, it don't matter which one you buy the important thing is to check it out carefully. Most of the problems with older trucks are the bellows (seals) between the cab and sleeper, but if you are lucky to find a walk through, great.

The problem I have had with mine is leaking around the seams, roof leaks that I had to fix and electrical. The manufactures used household type of wiring (solid 3 conductor copper wiring) and my inverter would kick into overload mode if I hit a very rough road. When I took the insulation out of the walls I found the problem was that they drilled the hole for the wire but did not debur it or used a grommet in the hole, cutting into the cable and shorting out the power. I brought this to the attention of the maker (Bentz) and got a well it worked for all of our sleepers, it must be you type of answer.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
InIDAHO,

What kind of sleeper setup do you have now? Are you even running a truck? If not, my recommendation would be to drive someone else's truck for a bit. You'll learn what you want and don't want in time.

And I agree with Greg and the Caffees. Worry more about what you truck can generate money-wise rather than luxuries.

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I will add one thing. I have spent over 20 years in trucks. If you do not buy one that you really like it makes it harder to stay on the road any length of time. If you buy something that you like but have issues with certain things you will always be somewhat dissatisfied. Get what you want the first time. Payments will on vary a few bucks and you will be satisfied. Case in point more time out more money.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
I am finding no comparison between Bentz and AA sleepers...especially in the quality of components used. Example 07 sleepers Bentz and AA inverter on Bentz = Magnum with a 36 month warranty.....inverter on AA xantrax with a 12 month warranty. Bentz makes much better use of space...although if I were you I would check out the new Bentz sleeper designed for FYDA in Columbus. Talk to Bobby SNyder....I just got pics of this and it is extremely nice.

-charlee

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
I have the AA. Have heard a lot about the quality of the Bentz. I have never been in one but am well pleased with mine.:):)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As others have mentioned, sleeper designs are highly individualized. Ideally, a sleeper will be configured to meet the needs and desires of its occupant(s).

One thing I would recommend for all sleeper owners who want a dinette (table and bench seats) in the sleeper is to get the kind where the table self stores when the bed is folded down. These are called by different names, depending on the manufacturer. (Goucho bed, Dine-a-bunk, etc.)

The alternative is to get the kind of table that must be manually set up and taken down when the bed is made. With these, the table top fits between the seats to form a platform on which cushions are laid and on which the bed is made.

We have driven trucks with both kinds of bunks. By far, the self-storing table is best.

The bed does not need to be remade each time the table is deployed. With self-storing tables, a simple action converts the bed into a dinette and the dinette into the bed. That is no small consideration when you are tired and want to get quickly to sleep.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Personally the only contact I've ever had with anything close to the guacho beds are those beds Kenworth puts in the Studio Sleepers that fold from a couch to a bed. I think they are very uncomfortable. It gives a bigger bed, but not as comfortable. So I got a matress to put on top of it since I never used the couch. Some people say the bed isn't uncomfortable to them, but to me it was.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I did not talk about comfort, but since you brought it up,
I will mention that our fold-down bed has a Select Comfort Sleep Number matress. It is the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in, at home, in a hotel or in a truck. Whatever kind of matress you use, the fold-down bed consists of a matress on a flat platform. The flat platform makes for better sleeping than uneven cushions.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
That couch folded out flat served as an excellent box spring once I got my matress on it. It was no Sleep Number. I've heard those things are awesome. We have a pillow top here at home.I always put egg crate foam on my matress in the truck. I'm weird so I put the points down and the flat side up. My wife said it made no sense, but I slept better that way and I was the one who slept on it all the time.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The essentials for a sleeper are bed, microwave and fridge. Everything beyond that is an upgrade. That said, certainly most want a pretty comfortable "home" in their truck. There is no way I'd go with a sleeper with a fixed bunk and a pedestal table that sets up in the open area in the center. You can either have a modicum of room or a table but not both. I have the Bentz sleeper with the fold up bunk. The redesign in all the current models gives excellent room for 2. For h/w that can share the bed the storage space is also excellent. For a double bunk model a lot of that is lost. As others have said, driving for someone else for at least several months is a good way to start. You get to learn some of the business as well as what you like and dislike in sleepers without a huge financial committment.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I am reading this and it dawned on me that one thing I forget to mention is not what the sleepers are like but the quality of the design of the box itself.

Like Manhattan apartments (or at least the one's I lived at..... maybe), they do get remodeled but unlike Manhattan apartments, they take a lot of abuse. Mine is poorly designed but so are a lot of the ones made in that time. They should not leak (not counting the bellows between the cab and sleeper) and should have some better design than plywood underflooring that rots. There are zero drains anywhere in mine and all the ones I have looked at, to drain off condensation (duh aluminum panels + fiberglass batting = sometimes condensation).

It may be better now, but I know C47s that have been sitting for 30 years more watertight than my sleeper .... and they went through a war.

aripen

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 96" sleeper. I run solo and I have the double bunks. My top bunk serves as additional storage and I would do better with additional cabinets. I have the perm bottom bunk but I would rather have the dinette option. I get a bit tired of sitting on the bed all the time. I have a sink with a hand pump. I am looking to change it to an auto/elec pump sink with bigger basin. Other than that I have the larger fridge with separate freezer and I just switched out my microwave for a convection toaster oven. I stay out for about 6 weeks at a time and I cook most of my meals. All in all it is very comfortable for me and my dog. Just my 2 cents.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Linda and I have been lucky to start out in D units with the Bentz SST100 condo.
The fold down bed is big enough for the two of us, I am 6'4" and stretch out on it. We did
add a 4" memory foam mattress on top of the regular one. That improved our rest immediately.
A microwave, frig, apu, electric fry pan and slow cooker are the items we use most on the truck.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
The shower/toilet combo is well worth the space and cost in my opinion. We are fortunate enough to have one in our 132" A.R.I Legacy ll sleeper. It occupies an area that measures 30' x 40". Whether you run solo, husband & wife team, or team (non family member co-driver) the pricacy and convenience are unsurpassable. The time saved alone not stopping for a co-driver to use the restroom is advantagious when on a tight run. Plus no more having to wipe the piss off of the seat in a public restroom before you sit. Also, what about the disease on the sweaty arse of the fellow that used the seat before you? We rarily use public restrooms any more! Dumping the holding tank is a breeze. Just pull into any Flying J's RV island and use thier dump station. Also certain states have dump stations in thier rest areas. We typically 1-2 times a week.

In fact, friends of ours just visited yesterday to see our truck for the first time. They have a 96"Bentz sleeper with a Porta-Potti that sits in the middle of the floor. If anyone needs to use it they have to close the window curtains and cab curtain for privacy. They loved the fact that we simply open the bathroom door,step in and close the door behind us. I know whats going in thier next truck!

As for cooktops in a sleeper, NO! Get a microwave/convection oven combination. These come availible in most sleepers and will cook just about anything you can put in it. The steam and grease from using the cooktop can be quite messy!