Sleep apnea

moose

Veteran Expediter
SLEEP APNEA
We are writing this letter as concerned truckers, regarding upcoming sleep apnea regulatory measures.
As professional drivers, safety is our main concern, and our only way for staying in business. We take great pride in providing safe, compliance service to our customers.
We are concern that the upcoming sleep apnea testing will make our roads less safe for us to travel.
By writing this letter we ask the DOT, CVSA and FMCSA to provide hard data to support further regulations.
While we do understand that such regulations are aimed at reducing fatigue driving, we are concern that without a proper data collecting & understanding of the risk, the opposites will be achieved.
The FMCSA noted its intention to publish Sleep Apnea Guidance to DOT examiners.
We feel that such step MUST follow a hard data gathering, stating what exactly the problem on our HWY’s. How often dose drivers who are suffering from an untreated Sleep Apnea actually fall asleep behind the wheel, and how many accidents are going to be avoided. To the best of our knowledge DOT records show that only 1.4 to 1.7 percent of fetal accidents are fatigue related. IF that is still the case we feel that forcing many experienced truckers off the road will reduce safety, not improve safety.
We also noted that many of the experienced truckers are over weigh, as a direct result of our industry lifestyle. However we feel that in our industry, with weigh gain comes a priceless experience. We do not think that those overweigh experienced truckers are the ones that poses risk on our highways. They are not the ones that fall asleep behind the wheel; they are not the ones that crush. The Data collecting MUST separate between experienced truckers, and inexperienced drivers.
We ask the DOT to take the steps to protect us, making sure that the CMV driver next to us is a highly trained experienced professional, who can keep us safe.
Since medical publications suggested that an over weigh individual is more likely to suffer from a sleep disorder, we feel that many overweight drivers will be wrongly targeted for sleep testing.
The problem we see is that if such Guidance will take effect, many professional experienced truckers, will simply leave our industry. Making place for new inexperienced driver.
We all feel that the most dangerous driver on the road is the inexperienced one.
While some drivers will quit because a concerned that they MIGHT suffer from Sleep Apnea, many will do so do to the cost associated with such compliance burden.

We are concern the medical community will not take ANY chances. The DOT examiners will send many drivers to the sleep study clinic, just to be safe. And the sleep clinics will fail drivers, all in the name of selling a machine, and in hope of seeing those drivers again every year or as require .

In recent weeks, the American Trucking Association asked the FMCSA to avoid publishing medical Guidelines, and asked for a rule making.
We all know so too well why the ATA did so.
The ATA tried to regulate its competition out of business, like they lobbied many time before.
Many large carriers already force much of its fleet to take sleep testing. And they are trying to force all of us to do the same. All in the name of safety, without ANY real rezone to do so. The ATA know such rule will make more room for new inexperienced drivers, which is why they are asking to level the playing field.
We ask the FMCSA to avoid going throw the process of rule-making, and to stick to its original plan of working via the DOT medical examiners guidelines.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moose, I have to point out that before this letter is sent, it needs serious editing. It's loaded with mis-spellings.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think maybe a sleep apnea test should be required maybe in 10 yr increments for CDLs 26,001 LBS and up.
I mean why are medicals even required in the first place?....How many accidents are attributed to heart attacks and strokes or diabetes?.....

Monty

Expert Expediter
Here ... I'll edit it .....

SLEEP APNEA

We are writing this letter as concerned truckers, regarding upcoming sleep apnea regulatory measures.

As professional drivers, safety is our main concern, and our only way for staying in business. We take great pride in providing safe, compliant service to our customers.

We are concerned that the upcoming sleep apnea testing will make our roads less safe for us to travel.

By writing this letter we ask the DOT, CVSA and FMCSA to provide hard data to support further regulations.

While we do understand that such regulations are aimed at reducing fatigue driving, we are concerned that without proper data collecting and understanding of the risk, the opposite will be achieved.

The FMCSA noted its intention to publish Sleep Apnea Guidance to DOT examiners.

We feel that each step MUST follow a period of hard data gathering, stating exactly the problems on our highways.

How often do drivers suffering from an untreated Sleep Apnea situation actually fall asleep behind the wheel, and how many accidents are going to be avoided.

To the best of our knowledge DOT records show that only 1.4 to 1.7 percent of fatal accidents are fatigue related. IF that is still the case we feel that forcing many experienced truckers off the road will reduce safety, not improve safety.

We also noted that many of the experienced truckers are over weight, as a direct result of our industry lifestyle. However we feel that in our industry, with weigh gain comes a priceless experience.

We do not think that those overweight, experienced truckers are the ones that pose risk on our highways. They are not the ones that fall asleep behind the wheel; they are not the ones that crash. The Data collecting MUST separate between experienced truckers, and inexperienced drivers.

We ask the DOT to take the steps to protect us, making sure that the CMV driver next to us is a highly trained experienced professional, who can keep us safe.

Since medical publications suggested that an over weigh individual is more likely to suffer from a sleep disorder, we feel that many overweight drivers will be wrongly targeted for sleep testing.

The problem, as we see it, if such Guidance will take effect, many professional experienced truckers, will simply leave our industry. Making place for new inexperienced driver.
We all feel that the most dangerous driver on the road is the inexperienced one.

While some drivers will quit because a concern that they MIGHT suffer from Sleep Apnea, many will do so due to the high cost associated with such compliance burden.

We are concerned the medical community will be over zealous. The DOT examiners will send many drivers to the sleep study clinic, just to be safe. And the sleep clinics will fail drivers, all in the name of selling a machine, and in hope of seeing those drivers again every year or as required.

In recent weeks, the American Trucking Association asked the FMCSA to avoid publishing medical Guidelines, and asked for a rule making. We all know so too well why the ATA did so.

The ATA tries to regulate its competition out of business, like they lobbied many time before. Many large carriers already force much of its fleet to take sleep testing.

And they are trying to force all of us to do the same. All in the name of safety, without ANY real reason to do so. The ATA know's such rule will make more room for new inexperienced drivers, which is why they are asking to level the playing field.

We ask the FMCSA to avoid going through the process of rule-making, and to stick to its original plan of working via the DOT medical examiners guidelines.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
IF they are going to be required for truckers they should be required for ALL drivers.

Nope...don't agree.....cars aren't shooting down the highway with 80,000 Lbs on.....
cause that is bullcrap what moose is saying about experienced drivers.....watch the ones that step out in the truck areas after following them wig wag out of traffic at over 20 mph the speed limit....mostly all the old farts....

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope...don't agree.....cars aren't shooting down the highway with 80,000 Lbs on.....
cause that is bullcrap what moose is saying about experienced drivers.....watch the ones that step out in the truck areas after following them wig wag out of traffic at over 20 mph the speed limit....mostly all the old farts....

Well, first off, I am not shooting down the highway with 80,000LBS either. Second off, that guy in the car that just had that heart attack and died at the wheel just hit a truck causing it to wreck and take out 6 other cars. Let us not forget that just a few months ago a tanker driver died at the wheel and the truck continued down the road slowly. Another truck driver got in and shut the truck down.

I am NOT saying that med cards should or should not be required. I AM saying that IF they are needed for truckers the same reasons should require them for all drivers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, first off, I am not shooting down the highway with 80,000LBS either. Second off, that guy in the car that just had that heart attack and died at the wheel just hit a truck causing it to wreck and take out 6 other cars. Let us not forget that just a few months ago a tanker driver died at the wheel and the truck continued down the road slowly. Another truck driver got in and shut the truck down.

I am NOT saying that med cards should or should not be required. I AM saying that IF they are needed for truckers the same reasons should require them for all drivers.

yeah yeah yeah.....this isn't a fair world or equal world....never has been....if you are going to claim being a professional don't wimp out when it comes to regs and hide behind the car drivers....whether your a train engineer, a pilot, a boat captain....being a professional should demand higher standards...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The whole sleep apnea thing was brought on by the medical industry. It is a way to create dollars for a new niche market. Sure the problem is real but not to the extent and expense of testing every truck driver.

I would never which any new burden be placed on a specific group of people. Hell we can't even drug test welfare and food stamp recipients.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
yeah yeah yeah.....this isn't a fair world or equal world....never has been....if you are going to claim being a professional don't wimp out when it comes to regs and hide behind the car drivers....whether your a train engineer, a pilot, a boat captain....being a professional should demand higher standards...

HEY, you were the one that suggested that a med card was not needed. I was just answering you. The fact does remain that a driver of a 4 wheeler is just as likely to cause a major wreck due to a medical condition that a trucker is. Taking sheer numbers into account, the 4 wheeler drivers with medical conditions are a GREATER threat on the highway than truckers are.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
HEY, you were the one that suggested that a med card was not needed. I was just answering you. The fact does remain that a driver of a 4 wheeler is just as likely to cause a major wreck due to a medical condition that a trucker is. Taking sheer numbers into account, the 4 wheeler drivers with medical conditions are a GREATER threat on the highway than truckers are.

No kidding....you've seen grandma or grandpa creeping down the road.....they shouldn't even be on the road....period.

you'll never see it...cars/licensing is State domain.....

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No kidding....you've seen grandma or grandpa creeping down the road.....they shouldn't even be on the road....period.

you'll never see it...cars/licensing is State domain.....

Many grandma and grandpas drive just fine. My wife and I are PROOF of that! :p My Dad does OK and he is 90. He just does as little night driving as possible. It is an individual matter.

As to the State domain, since when have the Feds cared about that? :confused: Nothing else they are doing adheres to the States Rights issue.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The whole sleep apnea thing was brought on by the medical industry. It is a way to create dollars for a new niche market. Sure the problem is real but not to the extent and expense of testing every truck driver.

Correct. OOIDA has identified this lobby group and named it "Big Sleep." To understand how sleep apnea rose to become a fashionable topic in the regulatory community, you must also understand how Big Sleep worked behind the scenes to make that happen.

Big Sleep sees big money in getting rules passed that would require thousands upon thousands of truckers to take these very expensive tests. And it is the prospect of big money that is motivating Big Sleep to do the regulatory influence dance with surveys, information meetings, etc. Big Sleep people could care less about highway safety or trucker careers. Their advocacy for rule changes is money driven. If they really cared about safety, they would offer the tests for free.

By the way, the tests themselves are questionable. It's not like a blood test where the blood can be objectively examined in a laboratory. Talk to a trucker who has taken such a test. It is anything but scientific.

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have been using a cpap on my own for 6-7 years..this year because of dot regs. I had to do it all legal begal...got tested prescibed a new cpap...IF you have sleep apena IT WILL change your life..

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

I would never which any new burden be placed on a specific group of people. Hell we can't even drug test welfare and food stamp recipients.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

I have sleep apena..have a cpap... B4 i started using it...i would fall asleep @ stoplight...they are on to somthing...it is somthing to be addressed.. now i do agree somebody is making a lot of $$$ off the new regs. ..thought you had to meet certain criteria b4 they required a test..

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
FYI ....there is a home test option... that is what i did...was $250 ..way better than the $1500 for a traditional sleep study...i was all set up legally for $600 total..

moose

Veteran Expediter
well, bad luck !
here i am posting this thread in the morning.
in the evening i take a copy of 'the trucker dot com'. and find that my friend Jon Anderson from the university of Minnesota just published a study that say otherwise.
while i did not find the full study on line, i did found the ambulance chasers and the Insurance are already dancing on the blood.
basically in the study they tracked new drivers of Schneider National, from CDL school, for 2 the first 2 years. and the ones that are over 35BMI are 55% more likely to be involved in an accident.
those are drivers that are obese to begin with. no word of professional experienced truckers.
so from now on if your BMI is over 35, and you are involved in an accident, then according to the ambulance chaser you are at fault. sorry.
Big Truckers Run Bigger Risk | Intermodal Insurance Company

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
The last i heard, if you are over weight or have a body mass index over a certain number (35 comes to mind), you will need to be tested. I have been steadily losing weight since Aug..42lbs. so far, and a ways to go. But, hopefully, I will avoid the BMI issue.