Sleep apnea

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Gotta question. Many of us got into this business because of some notion of "freedom of the open road" or some such nonsense. So, what happened? Seems to me this is the most heavily regulated segment I've ever seen, and you don't have any real freedom at all. Strange thing: Some here talk of spreading that heavy regulation to everybody. Just what you need: "Experts" telling you when to go to sleep, how long to sleep and requiring you to invest in medical tests and hardware to guarantee a medically approved sleep. Inmates in the federal prisons have more freedom than you do. Think about that.

I would have the cpap if i drove for a living or not...if you have sleep apena it is a life changer...if you dont have sleep apena/ cpap you have nothing to worry about...
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My point was i have delt real world and tried all way's of powering these things..having to have this to sleep... you DO NOT need batteries going dead in the middle of the nite because of this or that...
If by "this or that" you mean not understanding and properly taking care of batteries, properly charging them and correctly sizing them, I agree.

than that means real crappy sleep the rest of the nite..so again after trying many avenue's of powering these things..a generator is the best way to go..the $$ you will have into batteries..inverters..etc..you throw a little more with it and you have a nice honda that will give you years of reliable non interrupted sleep which is the point of the cpap to begin with..
I'm not saying a generator is a bad idea, but I flat refute the notion that a CPAP machine REQUIRES a generator, because I know for a stone cold fact that it does not. As far as the $250 you have to throw into batteries and inverters (that includes 2 batteries, inverter, and all cabling), compared to a grand for a generator, you and I clearly have different ideas of what constitutes "a little more". Be that as it may, when properly cared for and properly monitored, batteries will also give you years of reliable non-interrupted sleep. I simply know too many people who are doing that very thing, and have been for many years. The fact that you couldn't get it to work with batteries, I got nothing. I also know people who have generators that have run out of gas or stopped because they forgot to change the oil. I guess that's one of those "this or that" things.

i dont want to see you give someone bad advice because you dont know what your talking about when it comes to cpap machines.. i am just giving my advice of many years of experience with cpap machines...hope this helps someone..
I absolutely know what I'm talking about when it comes to batteries, amp draws. What appliance you connect to them is wholly irrelevant. There is nothing special about a 30 Watt appliance, be it a CPAP machine or a light bulb. They both draw amps the exact same way. I've spent too many years on sailboats where your life literally depends on your batteries, and on your knowledge of how to care for and maintain them. I don't want to see you give someone bad advice because you don't know what your talking about when it comes to batteries.

Saying a generator might be preferred for a CPAP is one thing, but saying a CPAP machine requires a generator is patently false.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
If by "this or that" you mean not understanding and properly taking care of batteries, properly charging them and correctly sizing them, I agree.

I'm not saying a generator is a bad idea, but I flat refute the notion that a CPAP machine REQUIRES a generator, because I know for a stone cold fact that it does not. As far as the $250 you have to throw into batteries and inverters (that includes 2 batteries, inverter, and all cabling), compared to a grand for a generator, you and I clearly have different ideas of what constitutes "a little more". Be that as it may, when properly cared for and properly monitored, batteries will also give you years of reliable non-interrupted sleep. I simply know too many people who are doing that very thing, and have been for many years. The fact that you couldn't get it to work with batteries, I got nothing. I also know people who have generators that have run out of gas or stopped because they forgot to change the oil. I guess that's one of those "this or that" things.

I absolutely know what I'm talking about when it comes to batteries, amp draws. What appliance you connect to them is wholly irrelevant. There is nothing special about a 30 Watt appliance, be it a CPAP machine or a light bulb. They both draw amps the exact same way. I've spent too many years on sailboats where your life literally depends on your batteries, and on your knowledge of how to care for and maintain them. I don't want to see you give someone bad advice because you don't know what your talking about when it comes to batteries.

Saying a generator might be preferred for a CPAP is one thing, but saying a CPAP machine requires a generator is patently false.

You are correct....you do not need a generator...but having tried the battery and inverter setup i found a generator the most reliable way to go and with cold weather here you need the heater/ vaporizer which always chewed up battery power in my experiences which ended up with me getting up in the middle of the nite to run the van to recharge.. after switching to a gen. For all my power needs.. no more problems..then with the gen. You have all your power needs solved...you can have a/c...heat....cook..your not doing all of that off batteries.. ..of course you do not need a honda..there's many cheaper options..but as grandpa said...buy cheap...buy it twice...

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I came from an Industry where NO SLEEP is the Norm, Trucking is easy compared to Touring with a name entertainer, you MIGHT get a few hours of sleep each day and you work 26 hour days, I did that for 30 plus years, STRESS, Trucking doesnt have stress, its a breeze compared to entertainment, now Im an Independent guy and all this sleep garbage has my goat, if a Medical manufacturer Lobby, BIG SLEEP can go into out halls of Government and get this BS Passed then we as truckers should stand together and have it repealed....I read to many sheep here, too many ready to let them say YOU, YES YOU...YOU THERE IN THE STRAIGHT TRUCK, YOU WITH THE BIG NECK, BIG BELLY...YOUR THE REASON....and we go Oh were sorry mr medical board man, well try and do better....NO its time to fight this crap and get behind OOIDA and anyone else and fight the overburdening regulations of Sleep Apnea, Guys a test can set you back 3000.00 in the sleep lab, if you fail the home test you WILL be forced to take the IN LAB TEST, I told this Doctor that he was nuts, he wasnt going to hook me up to a machine for the rest of my life when I know I didnt need it....Look if you have a sleep issue, or fatigue and you need this then you as a individual go seek out the machinery and give it a try, it has helped people for sure, but FORCING AN INDUSTRY THATS GOT A HUGE NUMBER OF OVERWEIGHT MEN/WOMEN INTO USING CPAP is BSS

Now if the sheeple here wanna be forced to endure all this crazy madness just sit back and say THEYLL MAKE YOU, YOU WILL WEAR IT, no i wont, and Ill fight this until the day they take my license or i retire....I DO NOT SURRENDER MY RIGHTS TO SOME LOBBY SO BIG SLEEP CAN MAKE MILLIONS, ACTUALLY 5 BILLION DOLLARS IS THE PROJECTED GROSS THESE MACHINE MAKERS WILL EARN

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Follow the dollars----. I knew it. I just knew it.

I don't have a problem, but the government would force an expensive test all the same. Who pays for that test? Yep, you guessed it.

There's a couple of people here who need the machines, and who have already figured that out pre-government mandate. I have no problem with people who need them having them, I have a big problem with government mandating forced testing for everybody. Get out of my bedroom/sleeper and stay out, government!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So at some point I'm the near future, if he's right, we fat guys will either be paying for sleep studies or retiring.

There is a third option. Lose weight and be no more one of those "fat guys" who are increasingly under the gun.

More than most people, AMonger, you complain loudly and often about the loss of freedom, and in many cases I agree with you. In fact, the increasing regulatory burden contributed to Diane's and my decision to exit the trucking industry. We felt the regulatory leash become a noose which tightened and tightened and tightened to the point where we said, enough! Once free as truckers, we felt free no more and decided to quit while we were still ahead. So, when it comes to freedom, AMonger, Diane and I are right there with you, and we vote, not only on election day, but with our feet.

Now, let me ask you to consider this question. It comes not from a critic but from a sympathetic soul who is as concerned about freedom as you are.

How serious are you about freedom really?

It's one thing to complain loud and proud about the freedoms the government -- those people with badges and guns -- are taking away from you. But when you saturate yourself inside and out with fat, such that your body functions are degraded and you lose the ability to easily do things that you once did without hinderance, how serious are you about freedom really?

You are absolutely correct when you say the people with regulatory power, and with badges and guns, are taking truck driver freedoms away. But closer to home, in your home, in in your body, who is the greater opressor? How much freedom do you take away from yourself by neglecting your health to the point where you can't even breathe without effort and you give those people with badges and guns yet another excuse to place their boot on your neck?

For many overweight drivers, it took a lifetime of bad habits to grow into one of the fat guys. So becoming a fat guy no more will not be easy or instant. But it can be easy and it can be instant to take the first step in that direction.

Get yourself onto a treadmill and literally take that easy, instant and first step, and then take another. With each step, vote with your feet for freedom. Don't push yourself. Celebrate the fact that you are on a treadmill at all. Rejoice that you are on this new path to freedom, not because the people with badges and guns made you do it, but because you are choosing to free yourself to live a healthier life.

Then do it again in a day or two, and again a day or two after that. As you repeat the behavior, your body and mind will respond. The old habits that turned you into a fat guy will begin to lose their grip. New thoughts and habits will take their place.

The path to fitness is not straight. There will be setbacks as the old habits fight to survive. But as long as you remain committed each day to taking that first, easy step -- be it on a treadmill or at the table -- you will be on the freedom path and the benefits of good health will come to be yours.

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
There is a third option. Lose weight and be no more one of those "fat guys" who are increasingly under the gun.

More than most people, AMonger, you complain loudly and often about the loss of freedom, and in many cases I agree with you. In fact, the increasing regulatory burden contributed to Diane's and my decision to exit the trucking industry. We felt the regulatory leash become a noose which tightened and tightened and tightened to the point where we said, enough! Once free as truckers, we felt free no more and decided to quit while we were still ahead. So, when it comes to freedom, AMonger, Diane and I are right there with you, and we vote, not only on election day, but with our feet.

Now, let me ask you to consider this question. It comes not from a critic but from a sympathetic soul who is as concerned about freedom as you are.

It's one thing to complain loud and proud about the freedoms the government -- those people with badges and guns -- are taking away from you. But when you saturate yourself inside and out with fat, such that your body functions are degraded and you lose the ability to easily do things that you once did without hinderance, how serious are you about freedom really?

You are absolutely correct when you say the people with regulatory power, and with badges and guns, are taking truck driver freedoms away. But closer to home, in your home, in in your body, who is the greater opressor? How much freedom do you take away from yourself by neglecting your health to the point where you can't even breathe without effort and you give those people with badges and guns yet another excuse to place their boot on your neck?

For many overweight drivers, it took a lifetime of bad habits to grow into one of the fat guys. So becoming a fat guy no more will not be easy or instant. But it can be easy and it can be instant to take the first step in that direction.

Get yourself onto a treadmill and literally take that easy, instant and first step, and then take another. With each step, vote with your feet for freedom. Don't push yourself. Celebrate the fact that you are on a treadmill at all. Rejoice that you are on this new path to freedom, not because the people with badges and guns made you do it, but because you are choosing to free yourself to live a healthier life.

Then do it again in a day or two, and again a day or two after that. As you repeat the behavior, your body and mind will respond. The old habits that turned you into a fat guy will begin to lose their grip. New thoughts and habits will take their place.

The path to fitness is not straight. There will be setbacks as the old habits fight to survive. But as long as you remain committed each day to taking that first, easy step -- be it on a treadmill or at the table -- you will be on the freedom path and the benefits of good health will come to be yours.

1st...You dont have to be overweight to have sleep apena...with all due respect...im sorry I am not perfect....EVERYBODY has a vice...if they want to admit it or not...gambling...smoking...drinking..diet coke...shopping..more mine just happens to be that i like food...i have quit drinking..smoking..all was so so easy for ME..where others struggle with kicking those habits i found them real easy...now...watching what I eat..eat properly is a real challenge... add the lifestyle we lead...i went from 18 years of doing construction type work to sitting on my azz most of the day..though I am trying..i find the whole sleep study thing a breeze..not a real big deal...and the cpap has changed my life...

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You dont have to be overweight to have sleep apena...

I understand that. My comments were made to a self-identified "fat guy." And while you don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea, every article I read about this condition says that being overweight places one at greater risk of developing it.

I think an aweful lot of what is going on in the medical and regulatory community with sleep apnea testing is bogus and corrupt. I also recognize that sleep apnea is a serious condition for those who actually have it. While the proposed regulations may be a joke, the condition itself is not.

A driver who thinks he or she may have sleep apnea should seek testing to find out for sure and seek treatment if it is found; not because other people are telling you to, but because it is in your own best interests.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I'm wondering if you would be willing to help members here lose weight either through posts or blogs. You have already established yourself as a successful, well written driver. You have the insight to know what the life of an OTR driver is like and with your current plan of opening a gym I am sure you can combine the two skills to help the industry. For those that struggle with weight it can seem overwhelming while those that don't can't understand how difficult it can be. My wife and I started Atkins which made a huge impact in our energy level and the diet has proven success helping people that have less active jobs lose weight. Sometimes people need the help and encouragement to fix things like health or finances that seem so basic and easy to others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm wondering if you would be willing to help members here lose weight either through posts or blogs. You have already established yourself as a successful, well written driver. You have the insight to know what the life of an OTR driver is like and with your current plan of opening a gym I am sure you can combine the two skills to help the industry.

You humble me with your question. It's one thing to share/discuss/debate business advice and ideas about expediting. It is much more personal to interact with people when it comes to health and fitness.

At the moment, the answer to your question is, I don't know. Diane and I are so early into this new health club endeavor that we don't even know what the rules are yet. We have signed a contract that strictly -- very strictly -- obligates us to follow the procedures of the franchisor. That is more good than bad because the franchisor has a wonderful track record of success.

But we have yet to complete the training or even to see the operations manual, so I do not yet know what kind of blogging or online writing I am able to do, if I do any at all. Give me a few weeks and I'll have a better answer for you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm having a hard time reconciling the freedom to get fat with the notion of being a slave to a treadmill and addicted to endorphins in order to become free.

Be that as it may, I need to get my BMI down below 35 in order to be free from unnecessary sleep testing since I don't have sleep apnea (also to get and keep my blood sugar and cholesterol under control). On August 28th I weighed 299 pounds, with a BMI of 44.8, which is a lock for a sleep test. Today, a little more than 3 months later, I weigh 251 pounds, with a BMI of 37.6, so I'm getting there. Another 20 pounds and I'm below the magic 35 BMI. 230 pounds is not my goal, but it's the first step to achieving it.

moose

Veteran Expediter
, every article I read about this condition says that being overweight places one at greater risk of developing it.
If a driver is overweight, and have S/A. when he loose a lot of weigh, dose the Sleep Apnea goes away ?
or once you are on the Cpac, you on it for the rest of your life?
dose anyone know of a driver that was on a Cpac, lost weigh, and got a waiver ?

*one of the claim OOIDA made, is that Sleep Apnea can be resolved with some kind of medical implants . anyone know anything about this ?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
But we have yet to complete the training or even to see the operations manual, so I do not yet know what kind of blogging or online writing I am able to do, if I do any at all. Give me a few weeks and I'll have a better answer for you.

I made some calls and did some reading. The answer is no. While there is some latitude, it is my decision to not publish an independent blog about fitness; at least not in the forseeable future.

Readers of my blog saw my final post there go up on Nov. 30. It will not be replaced or transformed into something else.

Diane and I will be operating a gym in a few months and will be interacting privately with our members. Our primary responsibility is to them and that will keep us busy enough.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I made some calls and did some reading. The answer is no. While there is some latitude, it is my decision to not publish an independent blog about fitness; at least not in the forseeable future.

Readers of my blog saw my final post there go up on Nov. 30. It will not be replaced or transformed into something else.

Diane and I will be operating a gym in a few months and will be interacting privately with our members. Our primary responsibility is to them and that will keep us busy enough.

Sorry to hear that, maybe things will change in the future as you settle into your new careers. Are you going to let us know what franchise you are getting involved with or do you have to wait?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

More than most people, AMonger, you complain loudly and often about the loss of freedom, and in many cases I agree with you.
How serious are you about freedom really? ...
But when you saturate yourself inside and out with fat, such that your body functions are degraded and you lose the ability to easily do things that you once did without hinderance, how serious are you about freedom really?
HINT for other post-ers: Notice all the content I snipped when using the quote function? It's really not necessary to quote the whole thing when replying. Snipping is good netiquette.
Stated like the fitness entrepreneur that you are! Nothing wrong with that, except perhaps in the eyes of those in the EO community whose devotion to capitalism is less than fervent.
But the freedom to be & stay fat is, indeed, individual freedom, if one loves eating more than fitness, just as is smoking, as long as one keeps his smoke to himself and doesn't burden others with his medical expenses, if he enjoys smoking more than his health.
That said, when the doctor told me I wouldn't be able to get renewed in a couple years without getting my neck size under the magic number, I decided to go on the primal/paleo diet. It's similar to the Atkins plan, in that it eschews carbohydrates. The dietary pyramid, under paleo principles, becomes a circle, with animals being half and vegetables being the other. No grains, and unfortunately, no soda or other sugar-laden food.
That it's going to turn me upside-down is what has me frozen in the starting blocks. My current work-day diet consists of Jimmy Johns, yogurt, a couple Ensures for vitamins & minerals (accidentally bought the weight maintenance formula one week), and a couple sodas. All that sugar & carbohydrate intake has my body trained to burn sugar for energy rather than fat, so the fat gets stored. I have to convince my body to burn fat instead, which means depriving it of sugar until it switches over. Giving up sodas in favor of water...that's going to be tough.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sorry to hear that, maybe things will change in the future as you settle into your new careers. Are you going to let us know what franchise you are getting involved with or do you have to wait?

The company is Anytime Fitness. When we have a signed lease, I will share the location.