Signage and Advertising

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The subject of carrier logos and other signage on trucks is a topic that arises in the forum about every year. All trucks regulated by the USDOT that are engaged in interstate commerce are required, at a minimum, to display Carrier Name, Carrier City and DOT number. In expediting, these signs are required for C, D and E trucks and are usually afixed to the cab doors or sleeper sides. Cargo van owners, not regulated by the USDOT, may be required to display the minimum signage because of the terms of their lease agreement with their chosen carrier, which they voluntarily sign.

Those of us that are leased to an expedite carrier may have terms of our lease that include larger signs on the box. Some carriers pay extra for the owner to display the large signs, some do not. In either event, we agree to display or not display the large signs when we sign the lease with a carrier. There is no mystery here, no underhanded move by carriers to have us advertise for them.

So why then, do so many folks object to displaying their carrier's logo? Advertising pays and, by virtue of our display of our carrier's logo, we help in some small way to promote business for them that brings business to us. If the choice was mine, I'd require any owner wishing to lease to my carrier to display their logos.

Can anyone possibly think that the multi-million dollar cost of branding FedEx, UPS, Schneider, Panther, et al does not pay dividends? My carrier pays its owners 1/2 percent of gross revenue to display large signs; we pay for the signs and get a return on our investment. It's a win-win situation for all concerned.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
Does the cargo vans need to do log book and weight stations like straight trucks and big rigs? Believe I know the answer but a friend
Chuck

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If the gvw of the van is under 10,000 pounds you do not need to log. If you are hauling a Haz/Mat shipment you will most likey be required to log. Some states like Michigan and Alabama may require you to stop at weigh stations. Alabama requires you to stop at a weigh station if you are hauling a Haz/Mat load.

dpea9

Expert Expediter
Terry I respectfully disagree about paying more for signage. I feel FedEx takes a 1/2% away for not putting the big signs on the box. Also I chose not to put the large signage on my truck. For some reason they wouldn't even put the FEDEX signs on my doors just the small 2in. on the sleeper.If you don't put the large signage on they are supposed to put the smaller signage on the doors and the sleeper. I have called at least 6 times on this issue and have never had a call returned. I am not bashing just stating a fact.:+ :+ :+

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I know Ohio has signs saying hazmat vehicles must cross scales . Watch the signs in every state . They vary for required weight . In FL be sure to stop at the AG stations.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was with Con-Way Now they paid an extra 1/2 percent for displaying the large logo on the side of my van. When I switched to Panther, the outfit that did my signage did not have the big black cat decals. I have the required signs on my doors and two small Panther decals on the rear doors.

Personally I don't miss not having the large Panther decals on the sides. It would probably scare the neighborhood kids. I always have 2 or 3 of them helping me wash my van, so why scare them off. But I still sport the tight fitting black leather gloves and the tight fitting Eldridge Cleaver leather pants. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! RIGHT ON BROTHER!

Free Angela Davis! Free Huey! Down wit da man!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Dpea9

I accept your opinion and have thought the same myself; however, you and I each agreed to sign a lease with 57-1/2 percent of gross as our base revenue. We were offered an extra 1/2 percent for the sign display. There never was a 58% lease without signs. Similarly, some trucks start with the 57-1/2%, get another 1/2% for signs additional points for owning a trailer or reefer trailer, etc.

Bottom line...if none of the FedEx rolling stock carried no signs, thus no advertising, we'd all suffer a revenue loss.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Moot,

Dood, did you get a new puppy?

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

dpea9

Expert Expediter
59 1/2% for me. You are working to cheap:+ :+ I guess this means I have to buy Italian Dinner next time.

hds

Seasoned Expediter
I'm a prospective expediter, going to the seminar at Monroe Thursday, and I was wondering about this. Can you use your truck or van for personal business if there are large signs on it? I mean, like to move your kids into their dorms or a new apartment or to tow a travel trailer on vacation? I know you have to be off duty, but is it legal or will it break a company rule?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hds, check with your carrier. "Bobtail insurance" should cover those things. You may be required to cover up your DOT signs.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Terry wrote
So why then, do so many folks object to displaying their carrier's logo? Advertising pays and, by virtue of our display of our carrier's logo, we help in some small way to promote business for them that brings business to us. If the choice was mine, I'd require any owner wishing to lease to my carrier to display their logos.
====================================================
I don't see a thing wrong with that. I would require the same thing.
If you are making money and like the carrier, then why not?
I think sometimes people focus too much on the things that have little or no affect on their revenue.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While I am pleased to receive an extra spiff for displaying large FedEx Custom Critical signs on our truck (though, it takes some time to make up the up front cost FedEx charges contractors to install the large signs), I would display the large signs for free if it came to that.

FedEx is one of the best known and most-trusted brands in the world. Every day, millions of people in the United States and worldwide trust FedEx to ship their overnight letters, packages and freight; and virtually all of them are well served every time. That level of service carries positive benefits over to our everyday experience as FedEx Custom Critical drivers.

Scale cops know FedEx to be a high-compliance carrier. Merchants are not as eager to run a FedEx truck out of their parking lots. "The FedEx man" is as much of a known and trusted icon in American culture as other well-established corporate icons. When people see a driver, male or female, get out of a FedEx truck, they have good reason to believe they are are dealing with someone who is gainfully employed and can be trusted with their important documents or freight.

It has happened to us many times that we have asked permission of a manager to park in his or her parking lot overnight and the manager has been suspicious or hesitant. With very few exceptions, that reluctance instantly gives way to to a welcome "yes" when the manager sees either a photograph of the truck we are talking about or the truck itself. "Oh! That's a FedEx truck. No problem." is a typical reply.

Diane and I are pleased and proud to be part of the FedEx brand. We would feel like we took a step down if we removed the big FedEx Custom Critical letters from our truck and ran a door-signs-only, plain white box truck instead.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oh I don't know Phil. Seeing that you have only been with one carrier, I don't see how you make that deduction. We have had trucks at Roberts, Fedex, Tri-State, and Panther and noticed absolutely no difference because of the signage on the truck, or a carriers name.
The deciding factor on acceptance for issues on parking and the like have more to do with delivery and personal appearance than anything else.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I do not disagree with you about the acceptance factors you mention, and your point about me having only being with one carrier is valid.

I base my conclusions about the power of the FedEx brand on real-life experiences like the manager comments quoted above, and others; like the time, for example, I watched a Wal-Mart security guard run every other truck out of the lot, except us.

He had just come on the morning shift. When I saw what he was doing, I approached him and asked if there was a problem with us staying. He said, "No. You're FedEx. You are fine." A half hour later, we were the only truck remaining in the lot.

That happened in Memphis, where FedEx is headquarted. That might have had something to do with it. I don't know. I do know this guard ran everyone else out, but let us stay because we were FedEx.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Without a doubt, Fedex is a big name in Memphis. Knowing how alot of Wal-mart managers are, you were likely given access because you actually asked.
Most trucks that park at Wal-mart aren't asking for any type of permission to park so they get ran off.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
The only objection I could see is if someone is unsure of their carrier being involved in a long term relationship.
The decals leave some nasty silhouettes when you have to remove them a year down the road.
If you plan on trading your truck(S) every 3 years or so resale value could be a factor??
I have even witnessed ego as a factor, carriers logo is ok as long as it isn't bigger than BoBs Trucking logo.
Best guess
Mike

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If a terrorist were going to use a truck for something, I'm sure FedEx would be a name at the top of the list to use on the truck.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>Without a doubt, Fedex is a big name in Memphis. Knowing how
>alot of Wal-mart managers are, you were likely given access
>because you actually asked.
>Most trucks that park at Wal-mart aren't asking for any type
>of permission to park so they get ran off.

Dave I expect that the money that I spent in the store to be the permission to be on their lot.Not only for the time it takes to do the shopping,but for staying overnight also just like gramma and gramps in their RV.DD.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Davekc
>owner
>23 years
>PantherII