Sign of Things To Come....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It looks like they are expecting a influx in the market...This is being built at the "J" in LaSalle, IL at exit 77 off I 80...It is a "Natural Gas" fueling Island....

Natural Gas At  J in Peru IL.jpg

Kristi

Active Expediter
OKC and Tulsa have a lot of the CNG pumps ant the OnCue stations.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There is a company called Clean Energy Fuels Corp that setup a deal with Pilot/Flying J to be able to build the CNG and liquid natural gas stations on Pilot/Flying J property but they will be owned and operated by Clean Energy. Clean Energy plans to get commercial vehicles to change over to natural gas which would help since we use 25% of the oil. They tried to get help from the government to get the capital to setup more stations but they were turned down, I guess Obama decided wasting half a billion on solar energy was a better idea. They are getting the operation started though, just on a smaller scale.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shell Oil Co. and TravelCenters of America LLC (TA) said today they have signed a tentative agreement to build and operate liquefied natural gas (LNG) fueling lanes for heavy-duty rigs at about 100 of TA's 238 nationwide fueling centers.

Shell, Travel Centers of America tentatively agree to build natural gas refueling lanes for trucks – DC Velocity
..................................................................................................................

Seal Beach-based Clean Energy Fuels Corp. has inked a deal to develop natural-gas-fueling stations at Pilot Travel Centers' truck stops nationwide.

Under the deal, Clean Energy will build, own and operate public-access, compressed- and liquefied-natural-gas facilities at some Pilot Flying J truck travel centers.

OC METRO

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk about getting infrastructure in place fast.

This could be a win win for both natural gas companies and trucking in the long term. Now to get trucking companies to buy the vehicles.

And let's not bring politics into this announcement, this is private business doing what they do best working together to expand trucking into the 21st century, by getting away from diesel and into cleaner burning fuels.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
T. Boone Pickens has been advocating the use of natural gas for commercial vehicles for some time and it seems few have been listening...or have lobbying groups simply had enough clout to quash any moves in that direction?

Cheap fuel, a reduced reliance on foreign oil, lower emissions...what's not to like, except the obvious distribution logistics which are apparently being solved as we write...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to drive a taxi on NG.....2 tanks in the truck of a Crown Vic....had about 100 mile range....The tanks are big and heavy...of course this was back in the late 80's.....hope the technology has advanced....

jbrand

Active Expediter
My wife and I have been looking at a CNG expediter truck, but it looks like florida and west virginia are lacking the fueling stations which would put a damper on doing deliveries to those states.

Also if enough truck started using CNG the prices would go up. Wall street will jack the price up because they know trucks have to buy it.

Same for diesel. It is cheaper to make than regular unleaded yet it cost more. Whats with that?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife and I have been looking at a CNG expediter truck, but it looks like florida and west virginia are lacking the fueling stations which would put a damper on doing deliveries to those states.

Also if enough truck started using CNG the prices would go up. Wall street will jack the price up because they know trucks have to buy it.

Same for diesel. It is cheaper to make than regular unleaded yet it cost more. Whats with that?

Just look at the price of propane now....yep..NG will go up....almost negating any gain...

moose

Veteran Expediter
Always follow the money trail.
just one more way for large carrier's, shippers and the Gov. to step over the little guy.
ever noticed how they build those fueling station in places where small business truckers used to park ?
(when Love's came up with the tire services shops, some 3 years ago, they made sure to buy more property, to accommodate for the lost parking spaces)
ever noticed how C/E strikes a deal with Volvo/Navistar, to make those trucks available almost exclusively for large fleets ?
ever noticed how that fuel will be way cheaper for large fleets, as part of the above deal ?
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/51975-lng-trucks-coming.html

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Fuel up in the CNG lane and park in the Idle Air space. I'm still aching from having to find D2 when it came out and still trying to avoid biodiesel for my cutting edge, trend setting vehicle. Someone else can lead the next round.

eb

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dart Transit is using CNG tractors to run between Bayport, MN and Menomonie, WI. as mentioned in this article: Business I have also seen these tractors running in and out of the Target distribution center in Fridley, MN.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Talk about getting infrastructure in place fast.

This could be a win win for both natural gas companies and trucking in the long term. Now to get trucking companies to buy the vehicles.

And let's not bring politics into this announcement, this is private business doing what they do best working together to expand trucking into the 21st century, by getting away from diesel and into cleaner burning fuels.

I only liked this post once because the system stopped me at one.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

You are correct, but if Im going to pay X amount per mile to drive down the road, I would rather be for a fuel being produced here in the US