shoot to kill

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Within 100yrds of the border? That would require a "TON" of ammo. Let me know which company you will buy it from. I want to get thier stock. They pull stuff like that on the "norhtern" border too. Many of my friends have been harassed by Canadian cutters over the last few years. They come into Michigan waters and try to arrest them for hunting in Canadian waters. It happnes several times a year. We all use GPS to insure we are were we should be. One of my friends was "boarded" by Canadians. They were going to tow him in and would have if a US Coast Guard Cutter had not answered his distress call. He was over 400 yards inside Michigan waters, south of Celeron Island. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Within 100yrds of the border? That would require a "TON" of ammo. Let me know which company you will buy it from. I want to get thier stock. They pull stuff like that on the "norhtern" border too. Many of my friends have been harassed by Canadian cutters over the last few years. They come into Michigan waters and try to arrest them for hunting in Canadian waters. It happnes several times a year. We all use GPS to insure we are were we should be. One of my friends was "boarded" by Canadians. They were going to tow him in and would have if a US Coast Guard Cutter had not answered his distress call. He was over 400 yards inside Michigan waters, south of Celeron Island. Layoutshooter

With GPS tracking your "friend prolly drifted ACROSS the lline and was apprehended after he crossed back...Americans illegally fishing in Can waters has alway been a problem...And to be fair same can be said the other way around...I can assure you theres Canadians out there that have been harassed by Border Patrol and Coast Guard.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry OVM, not this time. His "Mother" boat was anchored 400yrds inside Michigan waters. His "layout" boat was anchored more than 600yrds inside. I do know that Canadians have been stopped by our "Coasties" but I don't know why they were stopped. Canadian and US alien smugglers bring thier "cargo" ashore in the marshes south of the Wayne County line. US Boarder Patrol has had to greatly increase patrols do to the heavy smuggling over the past couple of years. Between the aliens and drugs our shores are starting to look like the old Al Capone days. The Canadian "Coasties" tend to ignore fishermen for the most part picking mainly on duck hunters. I guess because they have guns. We were all rasied in the area and know where the lines are. This is new, only the past 2-3 years. I can remember the old days when Michigan and Canadian duck hunters used to hunt together on the "River". Not any more. It's hard to find a Canadian duck hunter anymore. It is sad to see the "River" life going by the wayside along with everything that was once good. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By the way, everyone I know carries a Canadian/Ohio/Michigan fishing licence at all times. Used to be you could fish Canadian waters any way you wanted. Now a days if you want to anchor and fish in Canada you have to go to a Canadian port, call the bridge, inform them where you will be anchored and wait there for 45 minutes just in case they decide to check you out. I miss the days when the Straights of Detroit, the "Detroit River" for those who failed geography, used to be more or less open to all who wanted to use it. *SIGH* The modern world sucks. Layoutshooter

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Layoutshooter wrote:

Within 100yrds of the border? That would require a "TON" of ammo. Let me know which company you will buy it from. I want to get thier stock.

Come on, if your name implies that you do shoot, then you should know that anyone shooting a Barrett model 99 50 cal with a bors / leupold scope can take a "target" out at 100 yds without a hitch at all. And anyone owning and shooting a 50 cal, will be good enough to do so.....:D

Yea it ain't a cheap "toy" weapon, but you don't have to wait for your target to get close to take them out!

as for your "stock" investment, it'd be a loser on me and my ammo for this weapon. Now with my XCR 5.56, yea you'd be in a better position to invest!!;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, TRUE ENOUGH!!! I was thinking more along the lines of military training only times the number of available targets. OR MT X AT = lots of rounds!!!! Layoutshooter

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Layout wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of military training only times the number of available targets. OR MT X AT = lots of rounds!!!!

Now that i will totally agree with!! :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL. At a 100yrds nothing is safe from my favorite "toy" a custom Remington 700, glass bedded, trigger work, free floated, special 24" barrel with a Zeis 3X9 Conquest. I use Hornady Custom 165gr boattail sp bullets. No time to reload. The rifle will out shoot me now, but in my younger days when I was shooting several hundred rounds a week I could work under 1/2 groups at 100 yrds. Ah the good old days. Used to do 3-500 rounds a week with the shotgun back then too. Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone with a properly set up Barrett should be ready for any target out to at least 500 yards and at least on the equipment side is ready for up to 1000 yards. Nothing I have will do anywhere near that but I'm good for 100 yards and would be glad to monitor a kill zone along the border.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
the 99 50 cal barrett is setup to do its best at 700 yards, but as Layout said, the weapon will most certainly out shoot me!! I am very good at 100-300, not bad at 500 but after that it gets a bit out of wack.

But with a "target rich enviroment" as we are speaking of in this thread, i think we would do just fine! And the robinson XCR is alot of fun from 100 yards in when it has the 6.8 barrel on it!! with the 5.56, I would need to draw them in a bit closer!!

PS: That remington 700 sounds like a bit of fun to "play with also!! i have been kicking around the idea of gettin a mossberg 500 "cruiser mariner" 12 gauge with a 18.5 barrel and a pistol grip!!

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is!! It has taken more than it's share of whitetails. The tried and true 30.06 may be a bit old and outdated, no fancy stuff, just drop 'em with one shot!!! Of course the same can be said for my TC Omega, .50 or my H&R 12GA slugger on a 10GA frame. My duck gun is a Bennelli Super Black Eagle. Have a few handguns and .22's to go with them. Layoutshooter

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
M-16s the troops carry are good out to at least 500 yards with iron sights. I know that is the farthest we shot from when doing our qualifying and re-qualifying with the M-16. That is the A-2 of course. I think they are carrying the A-4. I don't know what it will do. I'm sure the same or better.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not a big fan of the M16 and do not like the round. I prefere a heavier caliber like the .30. Better energy retention down range. The M16 is VERy iffy at 500 yards except in the hands of an expert and then only under perfect conditions. The bullet is too light and is pushed way to far by the wind.

I was once told by one of my army rifle instrctor that bullets follow a different ballistic curve when shooting at men as opposed to shooting at deer. What a putz!! At that point in my life I had been shooting longer than that duffus had been in the army. I started shooting at age 5. I was 19 then. I had been shooting 3-500 rounds a week just prior to going into basic.

Had another "funny" in basic. We were do a two man fire team exercise. M16's WITH bi-pods. No target more than 100yrds. I was in a cement "foxhole" and my buddy was laying down behind a log. the drill was to pratice 3 shot groups. The targets would pop up for 5-10 seconds and stay down if you "killed" them. The goal was to kill all of the "enemy" in your teams section. My buddy, another deer hunter, and I could see no reason to waste ammo by firing 3 shots a trigger pull when 1 would do the trick. We fired on semi-auto. We "killed" all of our "commies" and few for the teams either side of us. At the end of the drill the instructor asked everyone if they had any ammo left. Most had 3-5 rounds. I had about 1 1/2 magazines as did my buddy. The instructor started "ranting" about not following the drill. At that point I told him that we had plenty of ammo to continue fighting and that every other "swingin d*ck" on the hill was dead if any more "commies" came!! Cost me 50 push-ups but he did sorta laugh when he told me to do them. Knowning how to shoot was not a real high priority in the army back then, just spray bullets and hope for the best. Layoutshooter

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I guess you were carrying the M-16 A-1 service rifle? I know in basic we went all the way back to the 500 yard line in the prone position and fired on targets. I hit most as did many others in my platoon. I was always told the reason for the smaller round was because it isn't as costly, it wounds and therefore you can cap his buddy when he comes to the aid of the man down, and when in urban settings you have less to worry about along the lines of a bullet going through a wall and hitting a civilian. Who knows and who cares. I just used the equipment given me to the best of my ability.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The military is looking at going back to the .30 round. In an urban setting it takes just too many rounds to put down "bad guy". In town I would prefere a 10ga with #0 buck shot. You have to do what you can with what they give you. My M16 in basic was old and it sucked. It was a " Colt" serial #000122. What a piece of crap. Jammed alot. They was "play" between the upper and lower recievers. Good thing it was only basic, I would have hated to use in for real stuff. Layoutshooter

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The M-16 is a very good weapon I was an Expert in shooting it. I got the Medal to prove it. Not to brag but truth.

You dont need a big bad gun to bring down a man if your aim is 1 shot 1 kill. peroid. and if you know what your doing.
Like some one else on here I was taught to shoot by my father as well. I leared first on a 22 rifle at night shooting Ratcoons outa trees. interesting concept isnt it. Then went for the longer shots of shooting coyotes out on the bottom some shots were 500 yards and more with a 250 savage or 222 springfield for them. swamp rats Muskrats as well with 218bee. No the Service didnt teach me how to shoot But my father did. But thats because I was raised in the country vice in the city.

Now getting back to the subject of 500 yards is that all???? give me some sanity thats childs play. Im being for real. On paper thats easy.

the 50 cal sniper riflel is being replace as well.

One thing to remember is this Snipers each have there own gun assigned to them much like a police dog one handler
well each gun has its own shells loaded especialy for that rifle or pistol. Quanico is where they do the loading but everyone knows that.
You have a nice day.
AckJar you should know that being a Marine....

Yup on Target now lets put it where in the hole where the other bullet went.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All true to a point, but, a 180 grain bullet retains more down range energy than a 90 grain bullet. Just a fact. My 165 boattail sp will do better on a whitetail than a 90 sp 5.56 will.
I have not had to shoot a deer a second time in over 10 years. One shot, on the ground. The last deer I had to shoot a second time was with a .243 100 grain sp. Hit it hard, double lung, at 50 yards. We chased it for over 1/2 mile even after letting it lay for an hour. Had to shoot it a second time to put it down. Went back to the old, heavy .06. One shot willy again. Layoutshooter

always confused

Seasoned Expediter
heck at 100 yards i got a ruger sa45 with scope that would work nice. for anything at 50 yard or less i have one without a scope. heck with my eyes nowdays anything beyond a hundred yards might as well be invisable. ... ...

the m16 was never intended for ranges beyond 300 yards for anything but suppressive fire.
its unfortunate that marksmanship is no longer practiced as it once was. when i see soldiers firing over and around 'cover' without 'aiming' just putting rounds downrange it makes me cringe... aimed fire is effective, and only takes a few seconds more.

i remember going to the qualifing range and getting 39 out of 40 and feeling bad because i missed one.

i agree the light bullet is subject to wind deflection, and or deflection by any twig or blade of grass in the way. but it is going downrange at a impressive rate.

i agree a nice 30cal round would be most effective, but think th 50cal a bit too much.

besides the recoil would make my old bones hurt by the end of the day.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The muzzle volocity is very impressive on the light round but a light round loses volocity much faster than a heavy round does. Layoutshooter