Shoes, Other Safety Equipment

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
As we get closer to heading out on the road, we are busy compiling a list of things to bring with us. Today, the question of shoes (boots?) came up. What type of shoes would you recommend? I do not know if steel toed boots are required, or whether that is left up to the driver. We will be driving a "D" straight for FedEx.

Also, I have seen several of you over the years make reference to hard hats, safety vests, safety glasses and other various safety devices. Any recommendations as to what you carry/use would be appreciated.

(I realize this may be covered in orientation, but just trying to get a head start)

Thanks,
Jim & Judy

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I work for a small company and I wish I was told what to bring. I left my hard hat, glasses and steel toe boots in my car trunk, my 2nd run was at a yard that required all 3. I bought some boots at wal mart and returned them after the drop.

I would bring all 4 inc vest.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I saw what steel toe boot does to toes that a pallet falls on and would rather not have that happen.

Hard hat, yellow vest or shirt and glasses.

Hard hat you can get anywhere, I was given a few from one of the refineries I delivered to.

Yellow vest, the same thing, but I found walmart has a tee shirts that is the same thing, some have reflective material on them while other stores are just yellow.

safety glasses are also easy to find.

Oh I forgot, get those foam type ear plugs and don't be like me and forget them in the truck. Put them in your truckers clip board thing.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few places say they require steel toe shoes but they are not going to check that close. As long as you have some boots that look like they might be steel toed they should work fine. I have not put mine on in probably a year but do have them with me. For most days whatever is comfortable like tennis shoes is fine.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I saw what steel toe boot does to toes that a pallet falls on and would rather not have that happen.

I have only ever worn my once but for the potential of losing a $1000 load, I'll keep them in the van.

More importantly, you shouldn't be putting yourself in that type of risk where pallets can fallon your feet imo.

But maybe I'm just a noob but I don't go in those factory lanes and I stay in a safe spot when they are loading my van.

Even when I use a strap to unload and pull a skid back, I make sure I am out of whipback range.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Safety glasses and ear plugs definately, vest and hardhat if you want.
Most places supply you the vest and hardhat if needed
although the idea of using someone else safety glasses and hardhat grosses me out, but touching door handles and anything in bathrooms grosses me out also OCD maybe?:eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get your own hardhat for sure, unless you like the idea of putting something onyour head shared with who knows how many lice heads who preceded you. I believe it's Sketchers that makes a steel toe shoe that looks like a hiking shoe.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i dont know what you consider a safe distance when being loaded, but trust you will want to be rite there at the side of the loading door whenever possible. some of these boogers on forklifts will treat your truck as if it is a company trailer if you are not close. or they could damage something you wont see till unloading at the other end then its to late. most of them will go in and out as fast as possible if they dont think you are watching. also, dont be afraid to speak up and let them know you own it and to slow down and dont let them tell you how to load your truck, you tell them. good luck and welcome.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
You make some excellent points dynamite. I usually stand outside the doors and watch through the crack or the odd time from the driver seat. When I own my own van, I will definitely now be proactive and let all forklift drivers know I own the van and it's my baby.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i dont know what you consider a safe distance when being loaded, but trust you will want to be rite there at the side of the loading door whenever possible. some of these boogers on forklifts will treat your truck as if it is a company trailer if you are not close. or they could damage something you wont see till unloading at the other end then its to late. most of them will go in and out as fast as possible if they dont think you are watching. also, dont be afraid to speak up and let them know you own it and to slow down and dont let them tell you how to load your truck, you tell them. good luck and welcome.
Great post...I too am RIGHT there when the forklift operator is at work....I stand between him and mt van to make sure he slows down...at times I too will remind him I own the truck...I learned the hard way...also NEVER load or unload ON the ramp....either do it at the bottom or back all the way in....

IF you must do it on the ramp, make sure the operator gets snug to the bumper so when they switch feet to reverse they don't roll into you....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like Leo said, get your own hard hat. When I first started one of the nastiest, grossest truck driver's I've yet seen handed back a borrowed hard hat, and then they immediately handed it to me. I waited until the other trucker left the shack, and said I'd wear that hat only after it's been boiled for half an hour.

tc-818390.jpg

My hard hat. :D

I have winter hiking boots that look like they might have a steel toe, but they don't. Lots of places require them, but I've never had anyone check.

I have an ANSI Class 2 Level 2 vest (for high traffic areas over 55 MPH). Better for LTL terminals and other busy locations at night.

I've got three pair of safety glasses with me. One is a close fitting type for construction work like sanding that you can't wear with eyeglasses. Another is the larger over-the-glasses type. And the other is a pair of military and tactical goggles that rarely are needed in expediting, but I've had them for a long time and they do come in handy at chemical plants. I've used them a few times in dust storms, too. They have interchangeable Clear, Gray and Amber anti-fog lenses, and can be worn with the head strap (that makes you look like Batman) or with over-the-ear spikes like regular glasses. They're gnarly. Peltor Maxim 2x2 Goggle Kit With Case

I carry a pair of Reusable E-A-R®Plugs reusable, triple flange, corded ear plugs.

I always have a long-sleeved shirt in the van, as most chemical plants and many refineries want long pants and long-sleeve shirts.

I also carry 2 or 3 pair of gloves (Mechanix at Lowe's).

And, some N95 respirators with valve. I got them for woodworking (sanding), spraying paint and adhesives, and for mowing the lawn. But I keep a few in the van. I've used them when driving through a dust storm in Nevada, and at 3 or 4 locations where there was a lot of dusty or particulate work going on and everyone else was wearing them.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
I saw what steel toe boot does to toes that a pallet falls on and would rather not have that happen

Have heard that for years, but as one EMT pointed out, imagine the damage 'without' that extra protection?

I have a pair of Chippewa engineer boots with steel toes. Bought them mainly for MC riding, but the are so comfy, wear them all the time. And yes, those steel toes have done their share of protecting. :)

Have cheap safety vest, couple pairs of safety glasses, package of disposable earplugs and a decent hard hat. Keep them in one of the sleeper side boxes, always handy.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
FedEx requires us to carry Steel toed shoes. The rest is optional.

Some of the locations we go into require safety glasses as well as a hard hat. If you do not have them they will loan you the items.

Some of the things listed are common sense items.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
While in field service I went into a couple of plants that gave me steel toe overshoes. Looks like overshoes you wear in snow or slush. This way you could have the protection when you needed it and not haul around the weight of the steel toes when you didn't. Jerry Lee

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Im with Turtle... I dont wanna share hats with anyone, so I bought my own saftey helmet. You wouldnt put on someone elses sweaty ball cap, why use a community helmet. A couple of local plants I go to regularly require helmets and reflective vests... sweaty helmet, and size large vest? No thanks.... Ebay ! LOL

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Like Leo said, get your own hard hat. When I first started one of the nastiest, grossest truck driver's I've yet seen handed back a borrowed hard hat, and then they immediately handed it to me. I waited until the other trucker left the shack, and said I'd wear that hat only after it's been boiled for half an hour.

tc-818390.jpg

My hard hat. :D

I have winter hiking boots that look like they might have a steel toe, but they don't. Lots of places require them, but I've never had anyone check.

I have an ANSI Class 2 Level 2 vest (for high traffic areas over 55 MPH). Better for LTL terminals and other busy locations at night.

I've got three pair of safety glasses with me. One is a close fitting type for construction work like sanding that you can't wear with eyeglasses. Another is the larger over-the-glasses type. And the other is a pair of military and tactical goggles that rarely are needed in expediting, but I've had them for a long time and they do come in handy at chemical plants. I've used them a few times in dust storms, too. They have interchangeable Clear, Gray and Amber anti-fog lenses, and can be worn with the head strap (that makes you look like Batman) or with over-the-ear spikes like regular glasses. They're gnarly. Peltor Maxim 2x2 Goggle Kit With Case

I carry a pair of Reusable E-A-R®Plugs reusable, triple flange, corded ear plugs.

I always have a long-sleeved shirt in the van, as most chemical plants and many refineries want long pants and long-sleeve shirts.

I also carry 2 or 3 pair of gloves (Mechanix at Lowe's).

And, some N95 respirators with valve. I got them for woodworking (sanding), spraying paint and adhesives, and for mowing the lawn. But I keep a few in the van. I've used them when driving through a dust storm in Nevada, and at 3 or 4 locations where there was a lot of dusty or particulate work going on and everyone else was wearing them.

U gotta be a former Marine, where do u keep the M16 incase someone goes Postal.:eek:

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Thanks everyone for the replies. Some very good suggestions, and some things to think about. Time to go shoppin'!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Former Marine? No. Marines (and I assume former Marines) adapt, overcome, improvise, while Boy Scouts (and former Boy Scouts) simply Be Prepared. :)