Shipping Hazmat, Help please.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And u check this on a daily basis? You're one of the few.
On a daily basis? No. Once or twice a yer is plenty. There are copious amounts of advanced headsup from various trucking magazines, not to mention the proposed rule changes get discussed here without fail.

Did u know about the container description? That just changed recently.
No, and I can't find anything in the regulations stating such change. You'll have to provide a link to the Federal Registry, the US CFR, or the HMR, Part 172, Subpart C which states that the container description, because the regulations currently read:

(b) Except as provided in this subpart, the basic description specified in paragraphs (a)(1), (2), (3), and (4) of this section must be shown in sequence with no additional information interspersed. For example, “UN2744, Cyclobutyl chloroformate, 6.1, (8, 3), PG II.”

I'm sure you already knew about this "The final rule announced today removes the requirement that drivers file a report for approximately 95 percent of inspections when equipment problems or safety concerns are not identified".just posted it today on fmsca. U want to hear me say it? U are the man! How's your ego? Is this Michigan Mike reincarnated? That's for the old FedEx drivers.
That particular was announced on December 8, 2014 and went into effect on December 18, 2014, the same day it was posted to the Federal Register.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.3 cents per mile more driving Semi is all I got for taking a HazMat Load back in 2010.
Wasn't worth the hassle and Paperwork.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I used to be leased to Fedex Custom Critical for 7 years. I never logged, scaled or placarded any hazmat load under 1001 lbs.

One day I called the log dept at Custom Crirical and asked this same question. I got the answer that I should log, no matter how much it weighs. However I kept doing what I've always done, ie, not logging unless I needed to placard the load. Did this for at least 3 years and I never got a call or letter from CC that I needed to log on those under 1001 lbs loads. But one time when I forgot to turn in a log on a placarded load I got the call.

I would guess if it was really required they would enforce it better.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure you already knew about this "The final rule announced today removes the requirement that drivers file a report for approximately 95 percent of inspections when equipment problems or safety concerns are not identified".just posted it today on fmsca. U want to hear me say it? U are the man! How's your ego? Is this Michigan Mike reincarnated? That's for the old FedEx drivers.

Are you talking about the daily equipment report if so that was a rule in December if I remember right , because it was brought up at landstar BCO days in late January about not having to fill this out unless you're u had a problem.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
I don't have the link. If u go to fmsca website newsroom u will c the story there. Just finalized it today.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The last posting I can find in their newsroom is from 5/14 about a student art contest. If someone finds a link please share it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Anyone who logs should [and probably does] know about that, it's been official for awhile now. Those on paper logs no longer need to fill out the DVIR [Daily Vehicle Inspection Report] unless they find a defect that can affect safety.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Still waiting on a link to that container description thing. If you're talking about the very first item, the "Number of Units or Container Type" that's not new. It's been there forever. It's to denote the number of pieces or units shipped. It can be 4 skids, 4 bottles, 4 boxes, 4 buckets, 4 drums., whatever. It's same as for non-HM freight and is required on all BOLs.

The only time you have to actually describe the container type is when shipping by rail, and you have to describe the container as "freight container" or "intermodal freight container," or "bulk trailer container," or "bolk tote container," etc. That's not new, either.

I just ran a load, 1048 miles, marked at HM with an X, and had the UN number and other required information in the right order. It was 800 and did not require placards. I was able to run it without logging or scaling or taking special HAZMAT routes. I ran it straight through with the exception of a 2 hour nap and then later a 90 minute nap, which kept me refreshed and not fatigues the entire way. (I'm ready for bed now, tho, lemme tell ya).

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
While I just finished a 2000 mile load that was marked HM and required placards, keeping paperwork and emergency contacts in plain sight, stopping at RR tracks not marked 'exempt' - the whole routine. I did not, however, flag [or stop] at predictable intervals to inspect the load, as that was deemed counterproductive some time ago. A predictable pattern of stops would be quite convenient for anyone [terrorists] wishing to hijack the load, so we no longer oblige them.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I didn't need more insurance to haul hazmat, then why aren't more companies hauling it? Hazmat doesn't pay the same as regular expedite.
For one thing if your company is hauling it they should have he proper insurances and certifications from FMCSA. Otherwise they will be looking at a large fine and probably jail time as the FMCSA doesn't mess around.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Just facts madam just fact ( Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet) my head spinning from the facts keep it up I'm learn something new everyday

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you need to get a couple of people trained in hazmat malt
so you don't get in trouble