Service for Sprinters

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Is there a major difference between a dodge Sprinter and a Freightliner Sprinter? Don't they use the same engines? I can't get answers from dealers. What about service availability for warranty work? I always had to wait at least 24 hours at any Freightliner service center for my M2 Business Class FL.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is there a major difference between a dodge Sprinter and a Freightliner Sprinter?

Yeah, there are several rather large differences:

The grills are different.
The logos on the hub caps are different.
The logos on the steering wheel are different.
The Freightliner Sprinter has the "Freightliner" badge on the front and the back, while the Dodge Sprinters have a Ram's head on the front and say "Dodge" on the back.
They have different driver dome light switches, too.

BTW, those are the same difference between the Mercedes Sprinter and the Dodge and Freightliner Sprinters, as well.

Oh, oh, oh, and the Owner's Manuals, they're different. The cover of the Freightliner Owner's Manual says Freightliner on it, while the Dodge Owner's Manual says Dodge on it.

Whatever Sprinter you have, for about $300 you can buy the necessary parts to turn your Sprinter into any of the other ones. The Mercedes grill and badge kit is real popular on eBay.

The insides of the manual, and the van, are otherwise identical. They do have separate Mercedes, Freightliner and Chrysler part numbers for all the parts, but you can give a Freightliner dealer a Chrysler part number and he can find it easy enough. They are all cross-referenced to each other. Most auto parts stores have moved strictly to Dodge as the make for purposes of part numbers.

"Don't they use the same engines?"

Yeah.

"I can't get answers from dealers."

You have to pay them a $110 diagnostic fee for that.

"What about service availability for warranty work?"

Take it to a Dodge dealer. Mine's a Freightliner and I've never been to a Freightliner dealer. I did go to a Freightliner Service Point at a TA once with a minor problem, and I might as well have been driving a sailboat.

"I always had to wait at least 24 hours at any Freightliner service center for my M2 Business Class FL."

With Sprinters and Dodge dealers, it's pretty much the same as if you took your car or pickup to the dealer, might have to wait, might not, all depends on the dealer. Some will tell you they can get you in next week, some will say leave it and tey'll get to it as soon as they can, some can get you in right away, especially if they know you're on the road travelling. Judging from the posts on the Yahoo Sprinter Group, many Freightliner dealers would just as soon give up all Sprinter service to the Dodge dealers. Most Dodge dealers, the ones that are Sprinter dealers, that is, will have one or two Sprinter techs.

All Sprinter dealers are 5-Star Dodge dealers, but not all 5-Star Dodge dealers are Sprinter dealers. Some Mercedes dealers will service Sprinters, too, depending on what the problem is.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tech told me the other day it's the same tranny in the 08's as in the 05-06's just different torque converter

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Tech told me the other day it's the same tranny in the 08's as in the 05-06's just different torque converter
Yup - NAG1 tranny in the newer ones too. There was some talk of them going with a 7 speed auto before the '07's debutted .... but it never happened.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
OH MAN! I found out the HARD way to STAY AWAY FROM DODGE....MERCEDES...FREIGHTLINER Sprinter! You cannot get them worked on easily and if you do, they charge an arm and leg for simple repairs! Our 2006 sprinter (Mercedes) broke the serpentine belt out in Oklahoma City the other day. When it dissintergrated it took out some crotical wiring in the front of the engine plus it cut the lower transmision cooler hose. The wrecker towed us 25 miles to a Dodge dealer and they wouldn't even look at it. They don't do " any " repairs on "any" Sprinters. So, the nice wrecker driver towed us another 40 miles to another Dodge dealer and he said he could fix but not until Tuesday! This was on a Friday! When asked why he said he had to go to "school" and wouldn't be able to get to it till then...plus naturally the parts "had to be ordered!" NO other trained on Sprinters mechanics were available! The nice (but now ****ed off) wrecker driver towed us another 45 miles to the freightliner dealer and they said they could fix it, but not until Monday becasue by this time, it close to closing. Monday moring comes along and the dealer calls me and said the bill will be 1,000.00 and 1,500.00 bucks! Now comes the sad part...when I called the owner of the Van he said no way and to tell them to stop work on the van and when I told them to stop they informed me that the van was 90% done. I, like a fool, told them to stop and naturally my wife began to cry becasue we didn't want to spend another night in an area where the van was locked behind razor wire. Now, after all that, when the dealer saw my wife having a nervous breakdown, he agreed to come down a little. The bill was reduced to 630.00 dollars but by that time the damage was done. My point behind this stroy is Sprinters are just TOO ****ed expensive to work on, the parts cost WAY too much (if you can find them) and it is almost impossible to find a dealer that wants to work on them! Why go through all that when you can buy an American made van and not have to go through that!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like you don't have a list of sprinter dealers.
There was no need of the running around you did...1 or 2 phone calls that is it....I would have thought your owner would have told you not just any Dodge dealer does sprinters...

Last edited:

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I would like a list of all places that work on sprinters. I have an 08 model. I know it can be a pain sometimes to find a shop.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like a list of all places that work on sprinters. I have an 08 model. I know it can be a pain sometimes to find a shop.
I HAD a list a PDF file..Turtle may have it.....most dealers know who has a tech...just make a couple calls first...plan ahead of ya can....

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
tysinger in hampton va has great sprinter tech's

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter

here is a link of backyard sprinter repair techs:
sprinter helpers - Google Maps

and here is a link of all mercedes repair that works on all sprinters The 2012 Sprinter Van. Built to Work Smarter.

and here is is a young guy i found that is very good brandon 317-289-9864 The shop is Located at 2946 West Smith valley road Greenwood IN