September Locations & Banter

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
At 20 hours......stuck?

New rule, we need to BETTER define stuck! LOL

How bout... Stuck at home... Last run delivered last Friday.. Dh home early Sunday morn.. Been here since. Went OOS Tues to get tires... After that, back in service... Is that stuck enough. :eek:

Just a little frustrated... actually thinking if I need a temp job like OVM til it picks up LOL. Maybe get in someones straight for a couple weeks, work for family, etc...ugh... mind goes loopy when ya sit this long.

Me. :what:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How bout... Stuck at home... Last run delivered last Friday.. Dh home early Sunday morn.. Been here since. Went OOS Tues to get tires... After that, back in service... Is that stuck enough. :eek:

Just a little frustrated... actually thinking if I need a temp job like OVM til it picks up LOL. Maybe get in someones straight for a couple weeks, work for family, etc...ugh... mind goes loopy when ya sit this long.

Me. :what:

Xiggi was number 3 behind you there and he moved out...good thing....now he is on a load already...don't be so stubborn...LOL

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
wow...tried to tell ya you should of just deadheaded home to get your tags...no need wasting money on overnight fees :D

Funny, It seemed like a good idea (you had) haha. Any other time it probably would have worked. I never got to live out the Laredo horror story's first hand. When it's dead, it's dead. I did move down to McAllen, I'm pre-dispatched tomorrow on a horrible load with a horrible rate, that I can't get rid of till Monday and of course no room to sleep so will have to motel it. But at least I will be out of here, I don't know if I will be coming back any time soon :(

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Xiggi was number 3 behind you there and he moved out...good thing....now he is on a load already...don't be so stubborn...LOL

Stubborn? Lost me there..stubborn to wait at home instead of the van for 4 days again like the week before? No thanks LOL. I know there's freight here...

Me

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
I got a load out of Columbus today...seems to be a good area last couple of days. Course, now I am in banjo country Ohio so we''ll see....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny, It seemed like a good idea (you had) haha. Any other time it probably would have worked. I never got to live out the Laredo horror story's first hand. When it's dead, it's dead. I did move down to McAllen, I'm pre-dispatched tomorrow on a horrible load with a horrible rate, that I can't get rid of till Monday and of course no room to sleep so will have to motel it. But at least I will be out of here, I don't know if I will be coming back any time soon :(

Since you have lots of time to deliver..take your time like 60-63 mph and get the fuel mileage you can and make the rate better...:) last night I got 26.1 mpg....averaged 25.3 on the whole trip...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I got a load out of Columbus today...seems to be a good area last couple of days. Course, now I am in banjo country Ohio so we''ll see....

You're in a truck, right?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Glad your gettin out... I would have done the same thing without a second thought....on the tags...and the load out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I love my permanent bunk. I can sleep while loaded.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
but...in this case...it sounds like that was the only thing that got him off the border.
May be. It cost me a load this past weekend, 1200 miles Friday for Tuesday delivery, Troy, MI to Orlando. I got to the pickup and the shipper needed (and requested) 12 feet, I only have 9 feet. But it's not a load I would have wanted if it meant nowhere to sleep for three or four nights other than a motel room. Been there done that got the wifebeater. That load did pay well, but the additional pay really only covered having to sit on the load an extra two days for the holiday, and didn't really cover 3 or 4 nights of motel rooms.

After dry running that load where another 12-foot Sprinter came to get it, a couple of hours later I got a 700 miler to KC, where I delivered Sat, and then (I shouldn't mention this out loud, but I'm gonna) I got loaded out of KC Tuesday morning, another 700 miler right back. I don't think I would have gotten loaded out so fast out of Orlando, so all told I ran more miles for about the same pay, and remained well rested.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I understand your point...but you cant deny that the extra space just got roadtime out of south tx....and if you had took the load to FL, it might have helped you get out of there too. You cant deny that the extra space=more opportunities.

Of course, the comfort is nice...and when freight is moving, all of your justifications are valid....but when you've been sitting for 10 days (like roadtime has)....I sure wouldnt want a load to get by me...for any reason. I can buy a room or 3 if need be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I understand your point...but you cant deny that the extra space just got roadtime out of south tx....and if you had took the load to FL, it might have helped you get out of there too. You cant deny that the extra space=more opportunities.
Of course not. I've never denied that more space would almost certainly mean more opportunities. How could it not?

But I do know it's rather rare for me to miss out on a three-skid load, and instead get no load at all. It happens, to be sure, but like last weekend, I missed out on the three skid load, but got two 2-skid loads in its place (actually, one was a one-skid load). Even today I was called on a load (a short and crappy one, but I accepted it) and then a few minutes later dispatch called me back and said whoops it won't fit, this is three skids. No problem. Two hours later I got a one-skid load for more miles and more money. So I missed out on yet another three-skid load, but I didn't sit and do nothing because of it. There are countless four and five skid loads I miss out on, too.

Of course, the comfort is nice...and when freight is moving, all of your justifications are valid....but when you've been sitting for 10 days (like roadtime has)....I sure wouldnt want a load to get by me...for any reason. I can buy a room or 3 if need be.
The problem comes when I need to grab an hour or five of sleep in order to safely continue on a long run. Getting a room for that isn't practical, and neither is pushing myself to drive through it. I've done it both ways, with and without a permanent bunk, and for me, a permanent bunk it is. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the yard......good morning Detroit!!

nothing like a 5 am shower to wake one up.....and coffee of course...

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

Last edited:

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
Nah no need to say that...??? You mad or somethin?! Startin to sound like Charlie lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

The smiley indicates a joke. A riff off of your earlier bragging. Putz! ....or is it Chumly, I forget lol ; p