Sept 2015 locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is like OVM says; It's a deduction you get for every mile you drive. I was just joking about that part (I'm not sure who all got the joke though) but the lower rates that are coming because of the low price of fuel right now is no joke. It will give the bottom feeder drivers more wiggle room (and the bottom feeder companies will use it as an excuse to offer their bottom feeding drivers loads for under 80 cents per mile). Just like if your carrier knew your truck got 100 miles to the gallon (this is just an exaggeration) they wouldn't continue to pay you your rate. They would lower their bid rate to get more loads, because you are getting better fuel mileage, and you can now operate your business cheaper. Their 20 percent would never change no matter how low they go on a bid. Carriers always make their margins! This is a bad way to do business.

Any how, it wouldn't be worth it to drive a van without the fifty cent per mile mileage deduction. You would go broke out here. If you had to file taxes on your total income of lets say 70k, and had to pay 10k in social security and Medicare taxes, and another fifteen thousand in state and federal income tax, short term disability, unemployment taxes, and health insurance, you wouldn't make squat out here. If cargo van drivers had to pay regular taxes like everyone else, MacDonald's workers would be earning more money than you do working only 40 hours per week, and they wouldn't have to drive on the ice. Once the minimum wage reaches 15 dollars per hour, them checkers at Wal-Mart will be making more money than us current and former cargo van drivers. And the kicker is that they won't have to fork over thousands of dollars in start-up capital to do so.
It's a large cost purchasing and setting up a Sprinter Van to live and work in. An investment!

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The sad part is it was believable from some of the reasoning I've heard out here.

That is the reasoning I was making fun of. There are people who can justify anything. The lowest I have ever moved a load for is 70 cents per mile. That is it, and that Is pretty pathetic. The issue of cheap freight is an issue that is going to plague our industry for many years to come. It's just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
........The issue of cheap freight is an issue that is going to plague our industry for many years to come. It's just the nature of the beast.

Yep blizzard. About 4 yrs ago, .80 was the bottom rate. Now seems like .70 is the average bottom. :eek: The van market is still trying to find the bottom(not good, but it's happening).

Reactions: blizzard2014

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As employed, hard working folk we should see a Cost of Living Increase annually.
Key word Should.
That always goes up, not down....the price of milk, bread, eggs, electricity, natural gas, etc.
Getting Loaded now in SC, headed up to Ahia.

Reactions: Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As employed, hard working folk we should see a Cost of Living Increase annually.
Key word Should.
That always goes up, not down....the price of milk, bread, eggs, electricity, natural gas, etc.
Getting Loaded now in SC, headed up to Ahia.

Sorry...I disagree...we are NOT employed anywhere....we work under contract.....if the terms of the contract does not meet to your approval...you terminate the said contract and move on.....

Reactions: ntimevan and Mailer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep blizzard. About 4 yrs ago, .80 was the bottom rate. Now seems like .70 is the average bottom. :eek: The van market is still trying to find the bottom(not good, but it's happening).
that old supply and demand mantra pops up here....too many fish in the tank and fish die...not enough air....this business is slowly changing again....we are nothing better then them adult paper carriers at night tossing newspapers....just a part time income source.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
that old supply and demand mantra pops up here....too many fish in the tank and fish die...not enough air....this business is slowly changing again....we are nothing better then them adult paper carriers at night tossing newspapers....just a part time income source.

You know I was thinking the same thing. We are just nationwide paper delivery boys. lol

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still doing better here than at my previous 8am-5pm weekday job $12.75/hr. -$23K per year.
Which is why I went to Truck Driving School on the weekends for 3 months to get my Class A CDL.
...and then at .25 per mile $550 per week left that and came to Expediting.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will unload around 19:30 pick up the next 30 mile's away and drive it 155 miles for $175.
Been a good day $ wise and loved the 70mph Twisties thru Northern NC and WV.
Got my onion rings just now and a medium coffee from BKing so I'm good to go.
Pottied Maggie, fed her and now back otr.
Thinking of how good life is and how fortunate I am, we are.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Will unload around 19:30 pick up the next 30 mile's away and drive it 155 miles for $175.
Thinking of how good life is and how fortunate I am, we are.
Feel free to join us in October.
:p

October Locations And Other Chit Chat

Reactions: ntimevan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thinking of how good life is and how fortunate I am.
where are we going? I'm joining who where?
poke.
But I don't want to turn 57 quite yet!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thinking of how good life is and how fortunate I am.

where are we going? I'm joining who where?
poke.
But I don't want to turn 57 quite yet!
My wife just turned 57 this past July and she was not the least happy about it.

Reactions: vandriver2
Status
Not open for further replies.