Seeking info to build a new Truck

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, if you were going to build a truck under 10,001 gvw and were not concerned about cost or payments what would you build? My concerns are not in the powertrain, gas vs diesel, 4spd od vs 6 spd trans...but more to the box configurations. To be totally honest, this is more for comfort then the freight capacity...

My thoughts are a 138" WB 9900 gvw GMC Cut-away chassis, bob the frame rails so that there was no more then a 3 ft overhang of the inside cargo floor from the centerline of the rear axle. Then have the frame stretched so that a 18 foot long 78-80 inch high box with straight walls, no body curves at all could be installed. With the light weight composite materials available today I don't think there would be a great weight loss from this box and still leave a good gvw for freight. My thinking is 2500-3000 lbs for freight...I know and I am not worried about the weight of me and my personal stuff... 3000 lbs migh be on the high side, i am not really sure at this point, but again this is more for comfort not weight capacity...

The 18 box would allow for a fixed wall to seperate the cargo area from a 5 ft dedicated sleeper / personal area and a 12 ft cargo area. A cab top airfoil with the top of the cab cut out so one can stand up between the seats and a minimal wall between the cab and box open to the sleeper area.

So any thoughts? how would any of you set up a under 10001 gvw truck for your own use?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dennis,
The 138 won't work, stretching the frame will add more weight to it than having a 158 chassis

Also be careful of the composites, I have two I am working with right now and one of the rejects in my search is as heavy as what they use for bodies but very strong.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
GM and Ford both have taken their 158 and 159 inch WB chassis to 12300 gvw. Using an older 158 with the 10,000 gvw is the dual rear wheel chassis and I want to stay away from that. Yea I suppose the wheel hubs on the ft and the rear brake drums can be changed over to the single wheel setup, that is an option.

What kind of issues are you having with the composites?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You can special order anything on the 158, just finding the right dealer is the problem. I saw a couple 158s with srw.

I have had a weight problem, which at first seemed to be unsolvable but one issue has been delamination happening on the bends and a couple corners. I went to a thinner coating with a smaller core and it seemed to work well. I wasn't going to use the material to support the cargo control items, like E track but that will go on the frame.

One thing I learned the hard way was cutting these panels, I got them 16 by 8 foot samples sent to me and it was a mess cutting it. I learned the best way is a CNC machine and it zips through it like cheese.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Chef you need to get a hold of dhalltoyo <--not sure if spellling is right
He has oufitted a couple of cubevans, might be able to guide you in the right direction

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Greg, and dakota, I have all of the Preachers old pot on his cubes..he did a good job on posting what he did, but it was mostly about the sleeper area...thats not a concern for me anymore, I have that covered. I am looking more on stretching the frame of either a 138 or 158 inch chassis to put the 18 ft box on it.....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chef, Greg, can you describe this composite material? What is it made of? Does it have a generic or brand name?

I went to a thinner coating with a smaller core and it seemed to work well.

What is it coated with? What is the core made from?

Greg, are you building a box with these sheets of composite material?

One thing I learned the hard way was cutting these panels, I got them 16 by 8 foot samples sent to me and it was a mess cutting it. I learned the best way is a CNC machine and it zips through it like cheese.
Would it not be the cutting head or blade that "zips through it like cheese", rather than who or what is controlling the cutting?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Moot I talked with a guy with the Budd company in Ohio that forms the pickup boxes for ford and GM. He mentioned a product called FRP Honeycomb Panels (fiberglass reinforced plywood) I know there are Trailers built with this stuff. I then talked to a Semi trailer repair place in Toledo and they said they work with it, but the biggest problem with THIS particuliar product is it is from CHINA and buying it in SMALL enough quanities for just one box...there are companies that built complete boxes from the stuff, but again these are overseas. But I also know that TT Trailers are built here with this stuff, so its just a matter of getting it in a box size i want.

I heard that Owens Corning also makes a simuliar product, just haven't gotten to the point of finding it yet. Then again getting it in small enough quanties to build one box comes back into play.

So if and when I get to the point of the new truck, I'll be talking to a company like Unicel to see what they have or can get along the same lines as this stuff.

Here is a link on the FRP:

Frp Honeycomb Panel-Frp Honeycomb Panel Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on alibaba.com

Last edited:

truckpipes

Seasoned Expediter
If you need some pipes for that new truck you are building please let me know. I would love to help you.

Thanks
Dan