security clearance

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
I am considering signing on with a major expediting company...they move govt. freight which requires security clearance. How do i attain such clearance without going thought the company and is that clearance transferable from one company to another?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Typically, The drivers that require a US Gov't security clearance will have a proven track record with the carrier before they would be offered such work. I know of no way for a civilian to get a Contractor's Clearance without a need for that clearance. If you aren't on with the carrier, you have no need. If you've had security clearances in the past, you would likely have an improved chance of getting a rapid clearance in the future. Check with your chosen carrier for the real story.

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
I understand that to haul some govt. freight requires special security clearance for their drivers ...Is it possible to attain such clearance so that whatever the company I contract with; I would have the necessary requirements. Could I acquire this clearance without going through an expediting company ? Bear

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if you can get the clearance outside a carrier. Ours was obtained through the carrier. I believe it follows you wherever you go.

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
Apparently, FedEx has such an arrangement with the US govt. If an individual has their own authority....then should not they be offered the same opportunities to haul high security freight .
What I am asking is what does a carrier need to do to qualify..to bid on such freight?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
the security clearance must be obtained thru your carrier,I dont think it follows you,and i dont believe its for ever,I'm filling one out now.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I don't know the answer to that, but i'd guess that what you'd need, for starters, is a proven track record as reliable carrier, serious insurance coverage and the ability to put together a bid package that would meet very strict conditions. You'd also need a lot of patience while waiting to get paid.

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
Gov't clearance's is easy, have you been in any branches of the services in your life? if yes you have already got clearances, if not you must go to the branch of service whom you be hauling for......any way don't worry the company will obtian this for you when time comes...

Chris-( FreyFoxx Enterprises)

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
Good Answer....Simply apply to haul freight for whatever agency or branch of service and each will provide you with the necessary information ..insur..etc. Thanks B

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
The cleance is a "DoD high-level security clearance" which is good for 10 years once you obtain it. It is much harder to obtain without a carrier....but the really hard part is using it without the carrier........without being with a gov't approved carrier you have no access to the gov't bid boards and they also have a list of "use first" carriers.

-charlee

p.s ---simply having been in the military does not give you the clearance needed that laurent is talkng about. Both of us were in the military and we still had to obtain the clearance with the full background investigation etc...

Last edited:

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
Could you give any more information reqarding DOD security certificate 10 years...Who would I contact? and what numbers do I need to have.... I like the idea of dealing direct ;and finding loads from govt.r boards....If old and ugly helps I should be first out.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
If you have a DOD security clearance it is transferrable when you move from one company to another.. example if you work for FedEx and leave your DOD clearance would
be transferable if you work for Landstar etc. I don't know anything about DOD clearance for an individual with their own authority.

laurentsbear

Seasoned Expediter
I think you are right ..However, to be sent a bid package I believe all you need is be registered with the defense dept.as a contractor ...I am not sure

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Could you give any more information reqarding DOD security certificate 10 years...Who would I contact? and what numbers do I need to have.... I like the idea of dealing direct ;and finding loads from govt.r boards....If old and ugly helps I should be first out.

There is a bit more than looking at the boards and bidding on freight. I really don't think there is any boards. I know one agency works only by a preferred vendors list and I know three companies are only on that list - two are represented here.

I digress

The carrier will have to have some guidelines on how to get your clearance when you sign on with them. It depends on who they haul for on where the SF86 ends up at, the government is kind of large and there are hundreds of sources for work.

Also I don't know if many know this but transferability still triggers an investigation of some level to ensure that the clearance is up to the level of the agency(ies) that the carrier serves.

Here are some links for you;
SF86 Form
A good worksheet for filling out the form

If you use the SF86 form, make sure that the OMB revision is the latest AND

Use the worksheet (second link) to gather the info for your app and then use the other file at other link and type in the form. you can't save the form info just to warn you unless you use Acrobat professional program.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
OK Bear, quit fish'in us. What do you really want to know?

Robbvious

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I'm new to this board and have been following it for awhile as I'm considering expediting when I retire.
Anyway, I am currently deployed and I'm Unit Security Manager for 2 squadrons. You must have a reason to have a security clearance, such as Military service in a career field that requires a clearance(not all do...), government contracting, etc. In other words, you cannot simply apply for a clearance in anticipation of needing one, you must have a current need for one. After you are granted a clearance it will be for a specific level of classified information, such as Classified, Secret, Top Secret, etc. It will only be for the highest level of classification for which you need access to. Secret and lower clearances are valid for 10 years, TS and above are valid for 7 years. However, regardless of level clearance level required for your current needs, your access to classified information stops when you no longer have a "need to know". In other words, when you leave your current job, your access to classified information is suspended until some other agency applies for re-instatement of your access based on some current need. Your clearance is still valid, but you can't access classified information until you again have a "need to know" and your agency requests re-instates your access. For example, when you leave the military, your access is stopped, but can be restarted at any time an agency you work for requires it.

As greg334 stated the SF86 is the form that you will fill out to apply for a security clearance. To ensure timely investigation, make sure that you fill out the form completely with current verifiable information. If the investigators have to chase down people because you put down "unknown" or provide incomplete info, it will take months to get your application through. As it stands right now, it takes at least 4 months to complete an investigation, but count on it taking much longer.

If you've had a clearance in the past, and are within 10 years of your last investigation, it often only takes the investigators a month or so to complete a credit report, a local agency check, and a federal criminal records check. It's fairly simple to access the Joint Personnel Adjudication System to see if you are within 10 years, but you must have a OPM/DoD security manager with JPAS access to complete it.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What is the "local agency check"?

It means that your local law enforcement agency needs to run a local check on you. A lot of information on the Local level and in some cases the state level is not accessible to the feds - databases are not connected believe it or not.

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
Hi All "AGAIN"

Chris here, WOW alot of great information I wanta thanks you all..I am now training for a Class C-CDL with Hazmat and plan to work all details out...plus plans to purchase a Ford Cube van with 16ft box and diesel and build my sleeper area myself to cut back on weight...but first trying to join a fleet owner team 1st to learn and get exp...but thank you all......hope to chat with you all more soon here.....:D God is my pilot.....

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Here are some links for you;.

Doesn't work.. but it can be found here: Standard Form 86 - Questionnaire for National Security Positions

So.... what is the difference with this security clearance and all the backgroud checks with Homeland Security and FBI and fingerprinting needed to get hazmat endorsemnt?

I thought that the #1 reason the department of Homeland Security was created was so the left hand would know what the right hand was doing. All these background checks are probably checking the same database... much like used card dealers check your credit rating before they will offer you a loan.

The inefficiency of government just baffels me... and I'm not the only one.... in an episode of Boston Legal last year they dealt with this issue when Denny Crain was not allowed to fly because the name Denny Crain was on the no-fly list. This is what Alan Shore had to say:

Some of the new iPods, you can load up to twenty thousand songson them. Streams of videos, pictures, all on a thing this big. He indicates about four inches. The technology in this country is staggering! And yet, the Government can’t get their computers to erase my client from the No-Flylist. Even though they admit he shouldn’t be on it. Instead, anybody named Denny Crane can’t fly. Now! MrWinchell is correct, he doesn’t need me to indict Homeland Security, the 9/11 commission already did that. The American public certainly doesn’t need to hear it from me. No! What Homeland Security could really use from me or others, preferably others, is a little help. Why not get it? I’m sure Tom Ridge is a very nice man, capable too, as is Michael Chertoff. But I can get twenty thousand songs on my iPod! We have geniuses in this country.True pioneers of innovation. Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Steve Ballmer, If we could just round up some of our best Steves. We’ve got kids in garages inventing Google and YouTube. Jets can not only fly by computer, but they can now take off and land on auto pilot. Should we truly be stumped by this No-Fly computer list? How about something so simple as issuing a flyer's license? It could have your picture, fingerprints, you show it, scan the card and your fingers at the gate, if it’s a match you get your aisle seat! This can’t be undoable. Expensive? Maybe. But judging from recent spending patterns we’ve got billions to throw around. Halliburton alone has profited ten billion from the war, maybe we could get them to kick in? Why is it our Government leaders only tap into the private sector for campaign contributions or to pass out contracts to cronies? Bill Gates is out there! Paul Allen! Has anybody called them? I bet Mark Cuban would personally fund the computer upgrades if you gave him free publicity. Is it really against national policy to think outside the box? This isn’t about beating up on Homeland Security. Everybody knows they’re trying, I’m sure they’re good people, but they simply cannot dispatch a representative to this courtroom to say the problem isn’t fixable, while thousands of Americans are being denied due process. It so easily has to be fixable. And in the meantime my client sits here today, a law-abiding man, grounded