second chance

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I failed a pre employment drug test and now noone will even give me the time of day does ANYONE know of a company who would still be willing to hire me? or give me a second chance I cant get experience if noone will hire me...
To give you a straight answer, no major ones. The insurance is the biggest issue. Companies provide driver info to the insurer. I don't have an answer other than look at small carriers?

It's a shame that so many on here revel in your dispair and relish posting hurtful comments to make themselves look superior.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry for offending but there really isn't any way around it. Marijuana is a drug and there's a reason drugs are lumped together under the heading of dope. Once you've truly quit and gone so many months it wouldn't even show up at the tip of your hair then maybe you can find a company to give you a shot. Basically you need to choose between grown-up, employed and drug free or not grown-up, carefree, doped-up and unemployed.

Revt

New Recruit
Driver
To give you a straight answer, no major ones. The insurance is the biggest issue. Companies provide driver info to the insurer. I don't have an answer other than look at small carriers?

It's a shame that so many on here revel in your dispair and relish posting hurtful comments to make themselves look superior.

Thank you. I truly mean that. Glad to see some people have some humanity left. Have a great day!!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thank you. I truly mean that. Glad to see some people have some humanity left. Have a great day!!
W O M , I guess now would be a good time to sell that Swamp ground you own , for Marijuana production. Just saying...

sent from my Recliner..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can see WOM's point a bit, but it seems these days you have to dispense some tough love to make people see the light and not just enable them further down an almost certain dead end path. In the end...which way really helps....hand holding and false hope or some kick in the pants reality? One stings for a bit, the other hurts for a long time. Good luck to the OP, while blunt (no pun intended) the responses you got were pretty good.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just Marijuana.
Marijuana is an illegal drug in the eyes of the federal government, which includes the FMCSA. Alcohol is legal but a BrAC (breath alcohol concentration) over .02% will be a failure on a random or pre-employment DOT drug test. Detectable amounts of marijuana last much longer than detectable amounts of alcohol and other drugs. Usually THC can be detected up to 4 weeks after smoking or ingesting. Longer for heavier users.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Let me get out my violin ...

I got two straight forward questions for everyone to chime in on.

#1 - Do you want this guy on the road in a truck?
#2 - Would you hire this guy?

No ... and hell no!
My insurance keeps going up every year and it isn't due to my spotless driving record.

I imagine that a certain small carrier, which shall remain nameless, does not conduct random drug testing. That might explain all the posted trippy, cool, psychedelic lyrics as one rolls down the marshmallow highway.

Anyone up for a brownie?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ragman

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They don’t even test for marijuana in Nevada anymore but I guess it all has to do with crossing state lines.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Wait you want to drive a 40k to 80k truck that takes 10 times longer to stop or turn than a car and drive it and you think if your high your reaction time is better than a non high person?????? I feel sorry for who ever gives you a trucking job.
And hummer53 this is about someone driving a semi or straight truck.
What if while high he slams into a van/bus load of kids or elderly people how would you feel then....

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wait you want to drive a 40k to 80k truck that takes 10 times longer to stop or turn than a car and drive it and you think if your high your reaction time is better than a non high person?????? I feel sorry for who ever gives you a trucking job.
And hummer53 this is about someone driving a semi or straight truck.
What if while high he slams into a van/bus load of kids or elderly people how would you feel then....

I'm not saying it’s right. I was just stating a fact. My grandson lives with me and I never let him drive my car when he’s partying too much.

Reactions: jcoppman

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not saying it’s right. I was just stating a fact. My grandson lives with me and I never let him drive my car when he’s partying too much.

Stating what fact exactly? This thread is about trucking. Are you saying truck drivers in NV don't get drug tested anymore?

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They don’t even test for marijuana in Nevada anymore but I guess it all has to do with crossing state lines.
Random drug testing and pre-employment drug testing are required by the FMCSA for all CDL holders no matter what the laws regarding marijuana are in a particular state. A positive for THC is a failure.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry I even said anything

I wasn't snapping back just trying to understand exactly what is being said. I thought we were discussing a guys employment eligibility and it's morphed into a thread about weed.

I'm completely ok with the legalization of marijuana. If people want to consume it, have at it. I think it's probably good for certain medical conditions.

Where I draw a hard line is if it affects your employment. It's not a moral judgement just common sense. I'm not debating whether or not truckers can get high on Fri night and drive on Mon. That decision isn't for me to make. If you work as a college professor, musician, accountant, lawyer .... whatever ... and don't get drug tested, do whatever you want. If you work in a profession that has random drug tests, then ya gotta abide by the rules .... or you're out! Is that shocking to some?

There's too many hard working folks that play by the rules and make a decent living for this to really matter. Hopefully it'll be a learning experience for this guy ....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets see now, what drugs should the DOT/trucking companies, insurance companies support, fentanyl , meth,cocaine ….lets do all of them so you can drive better,,,,

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you blow over a .02 BrAC on a random or post accident drug test you're done. Alcohol is processed and passes through one's system at roughly 1 oz. an hour. Once processed and passed there are no detectable traces of alcohol. Marijuana (THC) is fat soluble so it is stored in fatty tissue and can be detected up to 30 days or longer after ingestion.

Reactions: Grizzly