Satellite Dishes

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Just wondering what configuration everybody has for Directv or Dishnetwork. I have a active box I'm wanting to use, but I'm wanting to set up a dish that is cost affective and easy to setup. If I'm having to spend a lot of time just getting a signal and putting it up, not sure if its worth the time or effort. So, I would like to hear what others have done to make it easier for them to enjoy their satellite viewing. :D

guido4475

Not a Member
i used to have it in my other truck. i ran the satellite wire through the walls, to an outside box with a connector in it there,with a weathertight cover.i had a 12 ft section of coax running from the dish down the stainless steel pole that i bought at pilot.it was easy to hook up. i also replaced the adjusting bolts on the dish with large wingnuts.(home depot).i clamped my pole to the front of the sleeper, so it was permanent.as far as the actual setup to get the proper signal was concerned, i was able to see the tv screen through the window on the front of my sleeper, so adjusting it to get the maximum reception took less than a few minutes.i just couldnt see spending a ton of $$ on a in motion setup. i'm sure they are nice,but i am a practical type of person.less satisfies me just fine.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have a Weingard crankup dish. Works great (While parked).

Right now it is OFF the DISH network. Principal reason. DISH stopped supplying ABC,CBS,NBC, FOX due to a ruling by some dam judge.

The antenna still serves useful. I attached a amplified Phillips over the air antenna. I can raise the antenna and point it in the direction of the signal. Amazing how many good channels are out there on the new Digital Broadcast. Of course you have to locate close in to major cities.

Attachments

• 2004 FL M2 C2292.jpg
    2004 FL M2 C2292.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 30

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The networks are still available if your receiver is mobile. I just got DirecTV. I filled out a "declaration" form that says you'll only be using the receiver in a truck. You send a copy of your CDL and truck registration with it and about 2 weeks later you'll have the networks. I have a Weingard stationary dome. No muss, no fuss. Just pricey. When you park, you just turn on the power to the dome and it does its thing.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
The networks are still available if your receiver is mobile. I just got DirecTV. I filled out a "declaration" form that says you'll only be using the receiver in a truck. You send a copy of your CDL and truck registration with it and about 2 weeks later you'll have the networks. I have a Weingard stationary dome. No muss, no fuss. Just pricey. When you park, you just turn on the power to the dome and it does its thing.

Well, I was told by the installation guy, just get it for your home and take the receiver with you, that way you are paying the same price for the home. They don't know where your receiving a signal from, unless the put a gps tracking device in yours, but never heard of one having that.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in an area where they don't provide the networks. In addition to that, I think we have tree issues that would block the signal. If we did have it in the house, I could do the additional receiver thing and they would do the declaration form for the receiver that's in the truck. The court ruling sux, IMHO. But, the local broadcasters claimed unfair competition and the judge agreed.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I just grap the box from the basement that leaves three tvs at th house still hooked up..
But to be honest it really is getting to be a pain in the butt to stand up set up..when i get to the house i take inside to get the up dates thru the phone line and put it back in the truck..I get all my local stations as long as I keep it updated often..
I think best route to go is get the dome dish like highway recommnds...Looks like the Q.C.
I have lot of proplems with wind moving the dish around,,But i didnt make any permant mounts i just hook it up to mirror backet.
plus i keep the dish in the sleeper when not in use and thats just another thing in he way.its nice to have but is a pain sometimes.

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
i didnt make any permant mounts i just hook it up to mirror backet.
plus i keep the dish in the sleeper when not in use and thats just another thing in he way.its nice to have but is a pain sometimes.

I mounted the dish the same way. And it does get in the way laying on the bed. I tried it at home before we went on the road. It worked. Was easy to find the satellite. Now i'm on the road and no way could i find the satellite. I tried everything. Does anyone have any tips on finding the needle in the sky.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
as a few others said, its a oain to set up at times....i left it at home about 3 months ago, and just use the digital atenna now as well as the dvd player if i need to see something thats on the dish only, lunch or dinner in a place that has the service works...

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
i left it at home about 3 months ago, and just use the digital atenna now

Well the digital antenna is why we tried the dish. I don't know if we just have a bad antenna or just sitting in the wrong spot. The picture would come and go. And the antenna just about went out the window. And the digital is why we have dish at home now. We didn't get anything after the switch. Just didn't know if there was a easy way to find the satellite.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just didn't know if there was a easy way to find the satellite.

It is easy to find the satellite,,its the pain in the arse pole and mirror brackets that makes it hard to lock on sometimes...the satellites are always in the same spot,,everyday and everynight....Sounds like ya got 2 of ya in the truck?? Ya know how to get to the zip code screen and get signal meter on the screen?? Ya setting your dish to correct angles (elavation & skew)before ya put it on pole??turn up the volume and also listen to tones as ya adjust the dish..have your partner yell at ya when ya locking on..
ya really need to start by making sure that pole is straight in all directions,,I use a small bubble level and check in all directions,,sometimes I gotta shim the pole to the brackets.Dont always assume your truck is sitting level,,sometimes it looks ok but by time ya factor in angle of mirror brackets and the parking lot ya can be off a bit..
Radio shack also sells a wingard satellite finder...your tv screen will do the same thing,,dont waste your money on it,,if we ever met ya can have mine...its a waste of money.

For sure the permanent roof mount domes are the way to go,,Soon I hope :D

Last edited:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
digital tv with window antena less than 5 min. to set up,scan tv for local chanels.always get 10-20 chanels to watch.if nothing good to watch i watch hulu.19" sansui hdtv lcd at wally world for $179.00 antena $23.99 at pilot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Under the law you are only allowed to receive the "local channels" in your home area. They are broadcast on "Spot beams" and they are NOT able to be seen outside of your home area.

You can to the thing for the "truckers exeption as mentioned above. You have a CHOICE of either the New York or L.A. feeds. You CANNOT get your locals. I THINK the charge for that service, a FEDERAL government charge (stealth tax) is around $15 a month. I could be off the the price.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Under the law you are only allowed to receive the "local channels" in your home area.

You can to the thing for the "truckers exeption as mentioned above. You have a CHOICE of either the New York or L.A. feeds. You CANNOT get your locals.

Shhhhhhhhh,,, something aint legal then with mine Layout...Only time I lose my local Mich stations is when I dont take inside to plug it into the phone line for updates at least once a month.Unless what you guys are talking about just went into effect. I havnt stood mine up for bout 3 weeks now,,but last time all was good..

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Slo-Ride. Thanks for the help. I don't have a level in the truck but with a little luck we did finally get the elevation right. I had it set where i was supposed to but nothing. Had to move it a few degrees since the pole i put on the mirror is not level. And like you said neither is the parking lot.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get New York and L.A. network channels with Direct. If I have a delivery @ 2200 Monday, I can still catch House @ 2300 on the L.A. Fox channel, which is, of course, very important.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Hey Slo-Ride. Thanks for the help. I don't have a level in the truck but with a little luck we did finally get the elevation right. I had it set where i was supposed to but nothing. Had to move it a few degrees since the pole i put on the mirror is not level. And like you said neither is the parking lot.

Glad it helped,,ya gotta go thru it all most each time ya set up..Sometimes ya get lucky and hit it right away..
There lies the pain in arse with this set up...
I keep a wedge that I broke off a pallett and it has served the job well...
I use a small tape measure with build in bubble,,,2 tools in one,1less thing to carry

gunnrunnerX

Seasoned Expediter
we have had direct tv on our trucks since 1998,except for a short while.After spending a fortune on DVDs and tapes,while paying for satellite at home.After filling 4 large bookcases to overflowing and finding out direct would add the truck to our bill and give us the equipment for $5 a month we put it back on. It has always been on a PVC pole on the mirror with nylon ties,we have an AA sleeper with a sloped roof which keeps us from using the thru the roof crankup dish I'd like to have.One thing I have found that helps when locating the signal is after compensating for any lean of the trk I always add 2 to 5 degrees up to the elevation.I also like the PVC because I can adjust height to shoot over the trk next to us or over our own trk if I have to,or if it's windy and I have clear shot I can lower the height and bring the dish down close to the mirror and cut down on the wiggle. Another thing stay away from the DISH network,it uses 2 satellites,with Direct you only have to locate 1 satellite.As for storage I drilled out the 2 welds that hold the arm to the dish and use two bolts so I can take it apart and store it flat behind the captians chair in the sleeper. Sure is nice to have all those channels to watch while sitting around, keeps us from gettin the antsy's,but I will admit there have been times I think we've turned down a load or two cause we'd rather watch TV,not good loads ,but it was still a load.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
If you are wanting a quick way to find a signal, I would suggest buying something like this. Amazon.com: New Triplett SatAlign Digital Satellite Signal Meter: Home Improvement

I mounted the dish the same way. And it does get in the way laying on the bed. I tried it at home before we went on the road. It worked. Was easy to find the satellite. Now i'm on the road and no way could i find the satellite. I tried everything. Does anyone have any tips on finding the needle in the sky.

EagleXpress

Expert Expediter
I just use a compass to get the direction right , tighten that then mess with the tilt, its getting easier everytime- couple minutes. the degree of direction is the best way to start,because it is always accurate,no matter how youre sitting.for example 172 degrees...use compass to find that,tighten it ,then slowly move tilt/angle up or down. oh yeah,ya might have to jump outside w/compass for a second,because magnetic fluxes will distort compass............like bermuda triangle !!.............`~~~~~~^*>~~~