Sad... Purple Heart Medal sold at local pawnshop

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
This was on our local news tonight. Someone brought in a Purple Heart medal they 'found on the street'. The pawn shop owner gave him $30 for it.. not to profit, but in hopes of returning it to a family member. So far, they have not been able to find a family member.

Purple Heart Sold At Columbus Pawn Shop | NBC 4i

Dale

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My inlaws own a storage unit facilty ...I clean them out when people abandon them/ don't pay...I found a purple heart in one last summer...with research I found ..(a) ..you can't sell em...(b) you can be awarded a purple heart for just about anything.......frostbite...sprained ankle....seems like they hand em out like tic tacs...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My inlaws own a storage unit facilty ...I clean them out when people abandon them/ don't pay...I found a purple heart in one last summer...with research I found ..(a) ..you can't sell em...(b) you can be awarded a purple heart for just about anything.......frostbite...sprained ankle....seems like they hand em out like tic tacs...

You need to research just a little more thoroughly.

AR 600–8–22 • 11 December 2006

h. Examples of injuries or wounds which clearly do not justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:
(1) Frostbite or trench foot injuries.
(2) Heat stroke.
(3) Food poisoning not caused by enemy agents.
(4) Chemical, biological, or nuclear agents not released by the enemy.
(5) Battle fatigue.
(6) Disease not directly caused by enemy agents.
(7) Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular, and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by
enemy action.
(8) Self-inflicted wounds, except when in the heat of battle and not involving gross negligence.
(9) Post traumatic stress disorders.
(10) Jump injuries not caused by enemy action.

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_8_22.pdf

I'll be more than happy to go with you to my local VA Hospital and let you see first hand examples of wounds that result in being awarded the Purple heart.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"I'll be more than happy to go with you to my local VA Hospital and let you see first hand examples of wounds that result in being awarded the Purple heart"

So would I.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you find an award, call 703-571-3343 and explain to the operator what the situation is. They will connect you to the right group to find the owner.

No matter how one views the award, it is some that is not just given out but earned.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Technically, the Purple Heart isn't earned, it's an entitlement based on the meeting of certain criteria (being wounded as a result of an enemy action). It is the only military decoration medal which does not require being "recommended" to get, as all other decoration require some kind of extra effort (earned) and comes from a recommendation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Technically, the Purple Heart isn't earned, it's an entitlement based on the meeting of certain criteria (being wounded as a result of an enemy action). It is the only military decoration medal which does not require being "recommended" to get, as all other decoration require some kind of extra effort (earned) and comes from a recommendation.

Correct. Medals are also not 'won'. They are awarded. The Purple Heart is presented when someone's body is damaged in service of the Country.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
In most cases that most likely couldn't find the person who's medal it is. There's no marking on it..from one veteran to other I hope they get it back. I would hate to lose mine.

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I apologize if I came of the wrong way....I did not mean men didn't earn a purple heart...I was just surprised I guess by how many they give out ..I was under the impression that it was more rarer ...sorry for the confusion ...

There are no # on it...the owner of the storage unit can't be found...it seems to be ww2 era according to what I've looked up.. I have been thinking of donating it to the local museum..

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Ok I didn't about his name on there. Only thing my name is on is military paperwork dd214.

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Call that number and ask for help.

As for earned, it is. I may sound like I don't appreciate our combat vets but the opposite is true. When someone is wounded, they earned that award and more.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I apologize if I came of the wrong way....I did not mean men didn't earn a purple heart...I was just surprised I guess by how many they give out ..I was under the impression that it was more rarer ...sorry for the confusion ...

There are no # on it...the owner of the storage unit can't be found...it seems to be ww2 era according to what I've looked up.. I have been thinking of donating it to the local museum..

It is a shame that Purple Hearts are not rare.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
UPDATE:

The man who sold the Purple Heart returned Saturday with more medals he 'found'.. the Pawn shop owner didn't have the heart to turn them away, so he bought the rest.. grand total $55 . They all had the same name on them. As news has spread over the last week, the soldier's records were finally found.

The soldier, LeRoy Bryant of Franklin, Ohio was a Korean War Veteran who was taken prisoner in February 1951 and died as a POW in July 1951.

Ted Barker with the Korean War Project told NBC4 that the U.S. Army has become involved and is in the process of contacting surviving relatives of Bryant.

It is still not known how the medals came into the sellers possession. All these years later, someone could have died, and they showed up in an auction, yard sale.. sad. But at least they will now go to his family.

Dale

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
It is a shame that Purple Hearts are not rare.

Considering the alternative.. I think more purple hearts is a sign of how well the doctors are able to care for those hurt in battle.

Of course, I wish there was no reason for their deployment in the first place.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I have my father's Purple Heart that he received for injuries sustained in Germany 1945....it is a cherished memento of his bravery and his service to our country.