Rumsfeld resigns

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said.

The development occurred one day after midterm elections that cost Republicans control of the House, and possibly the Senate, as well. Surveys of voters at polling places said opposition to the war was a significant contributor to the Democratic victory.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_resigns

Hmmm...sounds like he is taking his ball and bat and going home...

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Sad, he was a good guy. All the heat he was taking from the leftist Marxists no doubt eroded his confidence.

What he didn't realize is that the war he engaged in is really an ancient battle.

It is the East versus the West.

Islam against Christianity.

Life, Liberty and Happiness against Oppression, Slavery and Violence.

It will continue to happen as long as Islam is wrapped up in its antiquated ways.

IMHO

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
architect?

Well not exactly, he is responsible to a point.

The president is ultimatly responsible for all of this.

Also just to add to this, there is a great article I will have to find. It illustrates the process that was gone through to plan and execute the war. the funny thing about it is that the generals who now critisize the administration that provided the plans.

I agree with Lawrence, as much as he has been vilified, he had good points. Well Randi now got her wish - hope she doesn't get her wish that the president .....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Unpopular war? According to whom? Can't be the majority of Iraqis who are glad we're there. Well... the libs are getting their wish. We're attempting to weasel out of a situation that should've been the UN's to deal with in the first place. Personally, I think this should've been done way back when. And when the planes hit the towers, we should've taken over Syria, Iran, and Afghanistan. Well... one out of three ain't bad if you're a diplomat. So far, the UN is 0 out of ???

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I just had a thought, if we pull out without finihing the job and Iraq falls, we will get blamed again. We have had a habit in the last 20 years of starting things and leaving without finishing them. Rmember the Kurds?

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just what is finish what we started...? When do you think it will end? What will define a win?

They have a constitution, a legistative body in place...are we to continue with a police action?

I know, "stay the course"...the infinite course...

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Just what is finish what we started...? When do you think it
>will end? What will define a win?
>
>They have a constitution, a legistative body in place...are
>we to continue with a police action?
>
>I know, "stay the course"...the infinite course...

You know I think you are right, they have almost everything. the problem I see is that we are more of a stablizing force opposed to either an occupational force or a police force and removing some or all of the troops would trigger more reaction from what the Iraqis are trying to get rid of. Building an army and infrasturcture took years with the germans, why do people think it would be easy with people who have been forced to live in the 19th century?

what do I considered finished? a stable goverment and closed borders.

One of the biggest mistakes we made was not to close the borders off when we moved into Iraq. I think that this would have prevented a lot of problems in the long run. But I know that we are experiencing the same exact problem and know that this is now a moot point with the dems, they will give these invaders a break and further cheapen citizenship - opps, thats for another thread.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Glad to see him go.He made a huge mistake by going into Iraq before catching Bin Laden.Ill prepared and without good intelligence.Wrong country, wrong time and wrong reasons.

As for pulling out now NO WAY.If we do 20 years from now our children will be fighting their children.We killed somebody's parents and no matter how we paint it they are still going to see it that way.A whole new generation of terrorist.So IMHO we have to stay and mend some wounds.Prove that their parents didn't die for nothing and that our soldiers didn't intentionally kill them.

Hopefully this new guy will have better luck and be more willing to try different things.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Bryan
Just a reminder, he is a secretary cabinet position and limited in the power and scope of his job. The one of the many things he really can’t do is make top level decisions, like go to war. The funny thing is he really is to oversee the armed forces and answer directly to the president and indirectly to the congress.

Like McNamara, who served JFK and LBJ, he could not really make a decision of what to do and how to do it in Vietnam without the permission of the Commander in Chief. But as it says on the DoD website; “The Secretary of Defense is the principal defense policy adviser to the President and is responsible for the formulation of general defense policy and policy related to all matters of direct concern to the Department of Defense, and for the execution of approved policy. Under the direction of the President, the Secretary exercises authority, direction and control over the Department of Defense. The Secretary of Defense is a member of the President's Cabinet and of the National Security Council.â€

If you want a very good example of how it is supposed to work, look at how Marshall and FDR handled WW2 with Eisenhower.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bryan, Rumsfeld didn't go into Iraq, the President did.

Speaking of the U.N., how long will it take for U.S. to acknowledge what a joke they are and pull out?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Is it not a total Mess? The thought of this whole situation makes me sick. Everyones got an opinion on WHOS AT FAULT... Personally I do not give a crap at whos fault it WAS OR IS..

The real question should be is what are we gona do now?

How about some solutions all of you finger pointers!

Sorry if I offened any of you the posts almost all lead to finger pointing. Yesterday one the victors was asked so whats your plan for Iraq? Answer "Do not know yet but we will work on a plan." No plan I ask and we voted these decision makers into office? Wheres the change? Wheres the leadership, courage?

This is what scares me the most, no plan WOW what a shame for our leaders. Like well if I get elected than I will begin thinking about it but all I have had time to do is to get elected first, by pointing fingers and avoiding the real issue of a PLAN of attack not necessarly a forcefull one but one with a Plan of action.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We have in the past been great at winning battles and wars but lousy at winning the peace.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
We're talking about ppl who believed the Marshall Plan took two months to complete. Japan? Still there. Korea? Still there. Yugoslavia? Still there. Crete? Still there. Democrats have no patience, and believe diplomacy will conquer the devil. Don't work that way.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yeah... I know... there is no Yugoslavia anymore. My point was that the UN (and the US is in the UN) is still in the countries that made up Yugoslavia. Thanx for the correction, Ace. :D

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Hi
>
>Glad to see him go.He made a huge mistake by going into Iraq
>before catching Bin Laden.Ill prepared and without good
>intelligence.Wrong country, wrong time and wrong reasons.
>
>As for pulling out now NO WAY.If we do 20 years from now our
>children will be fighting their children.We killed
>somebody's parents and no matter how we paint it they are
>still going to see it that way.A whole new generation of
>terrorist.So IMHO we have to stay and mend some wounds.Prove
>that their parents didn't die for nothing and that our
>soldiers didn't intentionally kill them.
>
>Hopefully this new guy will have better luck and be more
>willing to try different things.
We're talking Iraq , not Afghanistan . No terrorists from Iraq are going to come to this country . Most of the terrorists in Iraq are crossing the borders into Iraq from other countries . If we stay 20 years from now our children will still be fighting our children - in Iraq . I don't buy the "If we don't fight them there we'll be fighting them here " line . Did anybody think maybe the terrorists were thinking "Let's incite the Americans to come here on our turf where we can kill thousands of troops with far less risk than trying plots that may be detected before being carried out in the U.S." ? As Earl Pitts would say "Wake up America ! " You're playing into the terrorists' hands .I'm a Viet Nam War veteran . I believe in just conflicts like the Gulf War but there is no justification in remaining in Iraq endlessly .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the terrorist are winning because;
The NY Times printing secerts, no one is going after the people who are leaking secerts, charging them and executing them - this is treason and no one cares that NY times and other papers are doing so much damage to our country

The lawyers are on the side of the terorist by bringing cases to american courts for non-citizens who are not on our soil

The left - meaning Sheehan, Moore and others want to see us lose

AND

No one seems to care about these things!

It is not that the Dems will bring our country down, it is our own fault not caring about the basics before they were in power.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The NY Times printing secrets? Those secrets were put on the internet, for all to see by who? What idiot would be dumb enough to release that kind of information in the 1st place?

Road Hooligan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
has gone from fiction to reality and brought about some badly needed reform.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The NY Times printing secrets? Those secrets were put on the internet, for all to see by who? What idiot would be dumb enough to release that kind of information in the 1st place?"

It seems the NYT admitted getting the information from a member of the CIA and congress. The stuff that hit the internet was release by one of the news papers. The point is that we are not a country that should tolerate the press not being held accountable for actions that hurt the citizens or the country.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
So the problem is with the press for releasing classified information?

Seems to me the problem is with the CIA or Congressmen who gave the press the info.

Road Hooligan