Route to JFK

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
A question for the experienced out there.....We are headed for JFK tomorrow. Coming from the south on the NJ Turnpike, what is the best way in? We've been to JFK before, but always from the GW bridge. We're in a straight truck, 13'6" tall. Suggestions? Thanks :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I always took g w 295 to 678 to jfk found it was easies way for me
in nyc remeber trucks go on express ways not parkways

greg334

Veteran Expediter
AND

if you are 13 6, and try to get to the terminal and get caught, expect a hell of a fine from the guys/gals in them cars with blinking lights.

I have had two deliveries to the terminal and the first time I asked and learned it won't happen with my little 12 9 truck, the second time I didn't even ask but I told FedEx they need to get a van here to make the delivery.

If you have to deliver at the terminal, you have to drive on the tarmac and that means a 24 hour request as I am told.

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
I278/ goethals bridge/ I278 / varrazano bridge /I278 /will see a sign all truck over 12 6 exit don't pay att new torkers don't know how to messure stay in middle lane / I495 /I678 /the way I go from south fastest ive found and the cheapest in tolls/ ps nj turnpike ex 13

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
from south jersey ,the best way is i 287 to outer bridge,440 across outer bridge,and follow to BQE which is I 278,take east to I 495,Long Island expressway,go to I 678,van wick exway south to JFK,this will cost 40 bucks for 5 axels in all.When you leave,I 678 north,and follow for White stone bridge,cross white stone,follow signs for George Washington bridge and I 95 south,27 dollars to get out,cheapest in and out.
on I 278 your going to see a 12.2 bridge,at varrizanos crossing,that bridge you can put a 13 7 under it,ive done it many ,many times,oh and outer bridge will be ext 10 on NJ TP