ROLLING INTERNET

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Does anyone know of a company like d-way that offers in motion internet?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I use sprint wireless. I get online wherever there's a sprint signal. At $80/month, it's definitely not for those who can survive with J or TA services.

KW... why haven't you written me back?

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
If your going to use your cell phone, Verizon has the best system for accessing the internet. All you need is the software and a cable to connect to your laptop. Any Verizon store can help you out there. Their transfer rate is about the best you'll find. SprintPCS works the same way, but at a slower transfer rate. I believe Nextel also has the same type of access.

If you want to go third party, the best software to use is made by FutureDial. http://www.futuredial.com You can purchase the software and cable for your phone on their website, or at some Radio Shack stores. It best to check out their website to make sure your phone is capable of being hooked to you laptop, and able to access the internet. You should be able to get connected for $50.00 or less, and as long as you keep it somewhat short, you shouldn't run up any additional charges on your cell phone.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also use a Sprint Wireless card. At one time we used our phone as the modem but found the wireless card works a lot better and usually gets a signal even if our phone does not. You also do not have the hassle of a phone flopping around if you move your laptop around the truck. You also then do not have to worry about a phone call coming in while you are on the internet. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We switched last year from Sprint to T-mobile. Alittle better coverage out west and $30.00 per month verses $80.00.
Works well but not lightning fast.

The latest for highspeed is satellite internet. Several companies offer service but it is not cheap. I would expect prices to drop as time and competition develop.

Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use T-mobile. I have their aircard and it costs $30 a month. It's not fast but it works well in most areas. It will work in motion as long as there is a signal available. If you are on interstates it should be pretty good. If you are running US30 through Ohio you will have dead areas. It's the most cost effective solution.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally we get all the internet we need when we are at a truckstop/motel. Tried Verizon but their air card at the time was $250.00 and $80.00 @month for access, that's alot of FlyingJ or any other service. Then of course we had problems with the air card,and none of their offices would handle the problem. They sell the card just won't service them. Wish Truckstop.net would get their problems solved with Sprint or another company start up.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
KVH and Trac Star both offer internet satelite units for your truck. Price is a bit heavy at roughly 6 to 7000 dollars plus monthly service charge. Good luck.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Glen Thanks for the info it may sound a bit high but In my case I think it would be worth it.

thanks

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We use the Verizon Wireless card. Has Broadband access and really good coverage area. $80.00 a month unlimited access. Can't remember the cost of the card. Around $150.00 I think. I know they have come down in price slightly. We also recently began using send2fax. Wireless internet fax program. It really works great. You get your own 800 fax number. And can send and receive faxes from the truck. Even if you don't have your laptop on. You still receive your fax. It goes right to your e-mail. Alot cheaper and alot less hassle then running to the truckstop.

trhoades

Expert Expediter
> And can send and receive faxes from the truck. Even
>if you don't have your laptop on. You still receive your
>fax. It goes right to your e-mail. Alot cheaper and alot
>less hassle then running to the truckstop.

How do you send faxes? Do you have a scanner or all-in-one in your truck?

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use a all in one. Just scan the document to file. Log into Send2Fax website. Fill out my cover sheet & attach my file. And hit send. Fax comfirmation is sent to my e-mail inbox. Inbound faxes also go directly to your in-box. They come in pdf file. Just open and print out. I really like it. Works great for me. I don't have to go hunt down a fax machine. Just do it right out of the truck. I got the executive plan. 200 pages a month $11.95 Not the cheapest thing. But considering what the truckstops charge per page. If you send alot of faxes like we do. It is alot cheaper. And no need to wait in line. website is www.send2fax.com

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Yes i already do that but I use www.efax.com

But I need to be able to place my bids on available loads
while rolling down the road so I can stay 1 step ahead and do away
with my sit time.

If I sit I want to be home and if I work I work.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I was told my sprint mobile card can be used for faxes, since it has its own phone#. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, however... and probably won't need to. That may be something to look into to cover all your bases.