Restless Leg Syndrone

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have suffered with this for quite some time and have tried Requip & Mirapex as prescribed by Mayo Clinic. They work for awhile then they seem to me to aggravate the condition.
I also suffer from sleep apnea but back to restless leg, I was at a loss on what to do because in the early evening I was "stir crazy" and never get relaxed, so I searched the internet for home remedies.
This is what I discovered and after about 2 weeks it works. Every evening a couple hours before bed time you take 3 Magnesium with Chelated Zinc tablets (Bone Health) and 5 prunes. These pills are available at WalMart or other retailers.
They have really worked for me. I spend a relaxing time in the evening hours and according to my wife I'm no longer running a foot race in my sleep.
If nothing else the prunes will keep you regular,LOL. :D:D:D

Big Al

Fosyth Mo (near Branson)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I have suffered with this for quite some time and have tried Requip & Mirapex as prescribed by Mayo Clinic. They work for awhile then they seem to me to aggravate the condition.
I also suffer from sleep apnea but back to restless leg, I was at a loss on what to do because in the early evening I was "stir crazy" and never get relaxed, so I searched the internet for home remedies.
This is what I discovered and after about 2 weeks it works. Every evening a couple hours before bed time you take 3 Magnesium with Chelated Zinc tablets (Bone Health) and 5 prunes. These pills are available at WalMart or other retailers.
They have really worked for me. I spend a relaxing time in the evening hours and according to my wife I'm no longer running a foot race in my sleep.
If nothing else the prunes will keep you regular,LOL. :D:D:D

Big Al

Fosyth Mo (near Branson)

This may work fine for the "8 to 5" people that are home every night, but what about these Expedite drivers who may never know when it will be a couple of hours before bedtime??

Personally, I'm one of those oddballs that's not at the retirement age yet that happens to like Prunes with sugar on them. But, I was smart enough NOT to be eating Prunes while on the road. Know what I mean. :D

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
After setting 2 days somewhere,, or going by to visit the kids,, I get R.L.S. too.:D not the same, but similar.amen??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't matter when bedtime is, a lot of studies (pharma ones that is) show that if you keep a specific schedule with your intake of pills and food, your body adjusts to that schedule and the 'cure' still works. Even though I cross time zones, my sleep and food is not regulated by the pickups and delivery times of the customer's but my home time zone.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am sorry that I implied a 8-5 routine. It usually happens in the evening hours and continues through the night. Squirming in the seat of your vehicle is very uncomfortable on long runs. Exercise helps for short periods but never has resolved my problem awake or otherwise.
I am also not sure of the long term implications of these vitamins but for now it's great!!!

Big Al :D

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I have also found that taking my medication at the same time based on our tz at home has created no problems. When I tried to do it based on when I got up and when I went to sleep meant facing taking too much or not enough.

Ok, i've heard of restless leg syndrone but what really is it?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's hard to describe. But generally you are just inextreme discomfort, you feel like you need to stetch your legs,run,jump around,etc. It usually comes around in the late evening and makes it difficult to go to sleep. If it comes on after you're asleep you are continuiously tossing and turning all night and you wake up tired.
Mirapex and Requip are Parkinsons drugs and they have limited effect,they worked great for me for a few months,then they seemed to compound the problem.

Big Al

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
It's hard to describe. But generally you are just inextreme discomfort, you feel like you need to stetch your legs,run,jump around,etc. It usually comes around in the late evening and makes it difficult to go to sleep. If it comes on after you're asleep you are continuiously tossing and turning all night and you wake up tired.
Mirapex and Requip are Parkinsons drugs and they have limited effect,they worked great for me for a few months,then they seemed to compound the problem.

Big Al

Hmmmm, now I have a name for my problem, I sometimes need to get up and just walk around the house to make it go away

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks, Ragman. I was beginning to lose my faith in humanity. :)

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mag zinc cal hmm

How about Potassium and Vit E.

That will work the best.

Naw on a raw potato or have a couple of bannas

If your a buffeter then Hog down on the Culliflower and
Brocklee.

Dont ask questions just do it.

Lay off the the acids (COKES, COFFEE, Black Tea, Caffeene Pills ect. Throw the candy and sugars crap out. and stay away from them diet drinks as well. Diet drinks are worse.

Eat Healthy BTW eating Healthy dont mean ya gots to eat 3 times a day either.