Rest area and straight trucks

elton10

Expert Expediter
I was told you could park a straight truck in the auto part of a rest area if the truck lot was full. Anyone know if this is true or BS?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Try it and see. Then let the ones know that use rest areas.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
In my 20 years as a trooper I never ran a truck out of the car area. Just park as far away as you can and don't get in the way. (Now if someone gives you a ticket don't come crying to me)

Tickets should be written to save lives and property.

Now I did run them off the sholder of roads because that is unsafe. I've seen many a vehicles hit from behind because some person that was tired just saw the red reflections of the tail light and "followed" them.

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
I drive mostly @ nite and when i get to the rest areas the truck parking lot is usually packed. I always park in the car lot even though I'm only there about 15 to take Amos for a lil walk. No one has ever said anything to me about it...YET.:)

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Regarding the Rest Area Parking dilema...
I've parked 45 foot tour busses in the "Passenger Cars Only" section, I've parked 45 footer busses with trailers in the car section only...
Charter busses and private coaches...
Straight trucks, and 18 wheelers.

The thing I do is approach slowly to see how the truck section looks... if it looks full, chances are it probably is.
Sure, sometimes there's a golden spot open in the middle of the pack... but usually if they're parkin' all over on the approach, then there's no golden spot in the middle of the pack. Now, with a straight truck it's alot different, 'cause you're usually less than about 35 to 38 feet or so.
Therefore you can park much easier (usually) than a bus or 18 wheeler. In some rest area's you'll only gonna take up 2 spots if you angle it just right. Park along the fence towards the exit or on the exit ramp on the way out if there's room. Stop and walk it out though, throw the 4 way flashers on and walk it out -

I would recommend parking in the middle or up closer to the exit side of the rest area if you're gonna park.
Why? to be considerate towards other drivers that may be coming in behind you... who may or may not be doin' the same thing.
Also, if you're closer to the exit then you're less likely to have to struggle to get out, and/or get out of a parking space.

I would recommend parking in the rest area much more than parking on the shoulder.
The only exception to that would be parking on an entrance ramp, though some states have been known to chase you off of those too, like TN and SC.

Not sure where to park your straight truck... park it in the big truck section, or at a truckstop. Rest Area's are nice sometimes - but for a solo driver it can get dangerous at nite. I'd rather be at a truckstop or shoppin' center that's well lit all around me.

Leave your running/marker lights on at nite when you park... no matter where you park.

Well, I'm tired, I'm goin' to bed... drove from SLC, UT to Denver, had winds, and ice... then I got to Denver and thought I'd have 2 hours to sleep 'cause I was early - and they took the load early.
Soooo, now, I'm goin' to bed... along the fence at a crowded terminal.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There ya go! I like that idea! I'm a spiteful person sometimes... like when MiniVan Momma's and Dadda's and Careless Civic's park in truck parking... if there's a spot next to them on either side... I make sure I wake 'em up and get their attention in various ways... no horns, just close quarters or tight manuevering... whether I have the room or not, I like to get their attention and hopefully next time they won't park in the truck parking area's.
I call it Park Fun. From the makers of Trucker Games. Smile!

I can understand if a bobtail or larger motorhome parks in the truckparking area, but there's no need for cars to be in the truck parking areas. Some would argue there's no need to have trucks parked in the car sections... but ya know what - there's a ton of more car parking than there is truck parking. Make more truck parking and we'll stop incringing on the car section.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
couple of year's ago in rest area on 81 in new york state a few four wheel's took up 3 truck parking stop's in rest area and a trooper came along and told them he would ticket them if they didn't move or would tow there cars for taking up a truck space, as they taking a spot away from a driver that may need to climb in sleeper for a while
they moved when he call on radio and said need 10 tow trucks to tow
car's parked in wrong spots

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
being a sprinter driver, i park with the cars, but i see quite a few straight trucks parking in the rv section especially at the flying j......personally i like the idea. i can roam around and talk to some of the straight truck drivers, and not have to walk thru the big rig parking area, choking on fumes, ive met a few decent couples driving straight trucks that way, and have even been inside a few of them....i have noticed that the people that take pride in themselves and there vehicle are much more open to conversation, then those that are the opposite...i have actually walked over to a few vehicles and they roll the window right up when you speak to them and put you on ignore... it really must be hard going thru life like that...or as they are walking by, they turn there head when you say hi...over all though the vast majority are just as bored as you are and are willing to share there stories..the good or the bad... thats why i always try to stay at a truckstop rather then a rest area....conversation is the key to sanity....not isolation, probably should have put this in a different post.. brian

elton10

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the answers. I NEVER park on the shoulder for all the reasons cited and really havent yet had to park in auto area. I did get my butt chewed by my senior co-driver one time though because I HAD parked at the beginning of the exit ramp from the rest area( and was told I was OK by a trooper who had just cruised the rest stop).
It was my co-driver who suggested parking in the auto area next time.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
One can go into a parking area and see a truck using more space than necessary. Problem is you do not know what was there when he parked as the flow constantly changes.

As for cars in the truck areas I cannot stand this either. Just happened last week in Kansas he probably felt safer around vehicles but I was dead tired and had to go on till I found a Truck Stop. Was to tired to aggrivate him like pull up leave your idle on high and brights right up to the rear window.

I needed that space, when the car lot was empty but I had already commited to the truck spot when I saw an empty space to only be filled by a car.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Here's another reason to stay off the shoulder: thay're usually not level, & no matter how tired you are, it's nearly impossible to sleep when you keep sliding to one end of the bunk! :+
As for WallyWorld - I'm seeing more & more that have "No Overnight Parking" signs, & one (I think in Arkansas) that had the hanging bars above every entrance to keep trucks out. :-(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Spending as many days and nights on the road as Diane and I do, and driving a straight truck, we've gotten pretty good at finding parking places that are not at truck stops (unplesant places to linger) or on freeway ramps (dangerous, and sometimes illegal).

One of the best things we have going for us in that regard is the FedEx brand name on the side of the truck.

We once parked in a Wal-Mart among a number of other trucks. The night security guard that roved the parking lot seemed unconcerned. There were no "No Trucks" signs anywhere. We parked and went to sleep.

Early the next morning, the day security guard started running the trucks off. Knowing it was only a matter of time before he got to us, I got out of the truck and went to him instead. I asked if we were doing something wrong and that no signs were posted that we saw. He pointed to a tiny....and I mean tiny.... sign on a lamp post. It was acutally a one-paragraph policy about overnight parking. He had the same in a flyer that he had previously stuck on truck windows before running them off about an hour later, though he had not put one on our truck.

I then said, "So, you want us to leave?" He said, "Oh no! You're fine. You're FedEx!"

When asking movie theater managers or 24 hour grocery store managers for permission to park overnight in their lots, I always identify myself as a FedEx driver with a FedEx truck. The "yes" answers seem to come easier when FedEx is part of the question. People know and trust the FedEx brand. I've learned to use that fact to our advantage when seeking a parking place.

It's ironic that the people that are the least impressed with the FedEx brand on our truck are the managers of FedEx Freight and FedEx Ground terminals, and FedEx World Express Centers. As often as not, they say no when we ask permission to park and sleep there.

Another positive example. We once went to a movie where the parking lot had "No Trucks" signs all over the place. We entered the lot, parked, went inside the theater and asked for the manager. He was paged and came to the door. I pointed to our truck and said, "That's our truck. We'd like to park here but there are "No Trucks" signs everywhere. He said, "Don't worry about it. Those signs are for suspicous vehicles. You're FedEx." "What is a suspicious vehicle?" I asked. He evaded my question and said again it would be OK to park in his lot.

My sense was a suspicious vehicle would be a truck that looked like the last tractor trailer that parked there and left a trash bag and urine bottle behind.