Respect ~ Driver Turnover

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
There are many issues which will arise that are not and can not be covered in the contractual arrangement between the truck owner and driver (independent contractor).
Recent posts allude to disagreements with fuel surcharges, washes, repairs, pay discrepancies, escrow and other issues. Most of these issues are posted from the driver’s perspective.

Other issues from an owner’s standpoint would include, PTI’s, keeping up with oil changes, maintenance schedules, notification of damage inflicted by tow motors, incidental damage inflicted by driver negligence and the general condition and cleanliness of the vehicle both inside and out.

It is the responsibility of both the owner and the driver to have an understanding of what is expected of the other BEFORE the contract is signed. Most truck owners are not in this business for a tax write off or simply to have something to do with their free time. Most drivers are not in this business to be treated unfairly or to be cheated out of their rightfully earned income.

Any owner who understands the importance of driver retention should be willing to discuss the “what ifs” with any prospective driver. Any driver who does not want to be disappointed needs to address any and all concerns of income with the owner. Both parties need to understand what is expected of them and then stand behind that agreement. I assure you that both, drivers and owners are notorious for saying one thing and then changing their minds when the incident actually occurs.

It is my belief that if an owner and driver are straightforward with their expectations from the beginning, fewer disagreements will occur. If the owner makes a promise regarding anything that affects your pay and then fails to back up that promise, it is time for you to look for an owner that will provide what he promises. If the driver fails to maintain the truck, for example continually running the vehicle beyond the mileage when the service work should be performed, and or failing in anyway to do what he/she agreed to at the contract’s signing, it is time for the owner to look for a driver who will treat him and the equipment with the same respect given to the driver.

Ask the owner what he will do for you if your truck breaks down and it takes two or three days to repair the vehicle. If you’re not near your house, will he pay your hotel bill? This situation will happen to you sooner or later, regardless of the age of the truck. If your truck still runs and you have a sleeper, is it reasonable to ask for a hotel? Questions like these need to be addressed in person.

Your contract should spell which party is responsible for any expenses incurred. It should spell out how the driver will be paid. It should spell out what condition the truck was in when given to the driver and what is expected when and if the driver returns the truck. You contract should have been prepared by an attorney well versed in these arrangements and should protect both parties from unreasonable demands by the other.

If as an owner, you present your driver with a contract you have copied from someone else’s idea of what a contract should be, then be prepared to deal with the consequences. I have seen contracts copied so many times, that they could not be read in some sections.
Furthermore it is important to know what an owner can require of you as a driver. If the owner expects you to pay for maintenance or repairs on the vehicle; don’t walk out the door; RUN. I have seen contracts that expect the drivers to pay the owner mileage to return to their homes when taking time off. There are contracts written that are completely irrational and written to take advantage of the driver. Although in most cases these contracts are illegal, they are always subject to interpretation and may eventually cost you. If you have any doubts about what you are signing, ask for a copy so you can have an attorney review it.

Conversely, the driver is in a position to take advantage of the owner. If you the driver fail to pay attention to an object in your path, and inflict damage to the vehicle, the owner has a right to know. If you do not have the oil changed at the intervals the owner desires, you are not upholding your end of the agreement. If you burn a hole in the seat, carpet or bunk area, you should understand that this is not, normal wear and tear and the owner has the right to ask you to pay for the repair.

It all boils down to respect. If you respect yourself and each other, these arrangements can last for many years. If you do not respect the words you gave to the other party, sooner of later the relationship will fail. Enter into any contract knowing that you will receive out of the arrangement what you are willing to put into it. If this very simple philosophy is followed, driver turnover and multiple employment contracts will diminish significantly.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
A topic that can't be over stressed! Nice job on this statement Tom! By the way if you charged by the word you would be rich! It takes time and effort to come across clearly and precisely, you hit it! Thanks again for your time. Your contributions are appreciated!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Excelent post Tom...Your remarks could be a model for a good contract.Just leave a space between each paragraph,and insert what is expected of each party.
In addition to the advise for both partys to have a attorney.A credit check will often reveal a lot.These are easy to arange online,and produce fast results.The cost is small,unless you want them to go into great depth.I dont remember the exact sites,but a Google search will find several of them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is good to see input from an owner. Many times we hear how unfair they are from the driver prospective. There are good and bad owners as well as drivers. Some drivers in the past have been very critical of their owners. However the majority of owners have been former drivers, while very few drivers have actually owned a company.
Just an observation
Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, nice post, right on the money. But it begs the question, have you ever had a disgruntled driver? What do you think of the advice frequently offered in the Forum that prospective drivers should ask to speak to former drivers of the fleet owner in question?

Having raised the point, let me quickly add that some former drivers have an ax to grind and there is no assurance that a driver report on a fleet owner will be an accurate one.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Just like keeping your marriage together and strong, it boils down to 2 simple words: Communication and Respect.

Special K

Expert Expediter
I respectfully take one small exception to Tom's excellent post. The comment "If you have doubt about what you are signing, ask for a copy..." I can only say NO! Do not sign anything that you have serious doubt about. Do not sign and THEN try to work it out. There is no urgency about signing a contract that it cannot wait until you have it explained or investigated to your satisfaction. Which leads to another point; if a potential driver asks a fleet owner to send him/her a copy of the contract (so that the driver can go over it before traveling to where the contract is to be signed), is the driver wrong to feel suspicious if the owner refuses to do that? Is there another way to consider that situation, besides assuming that the owner has something to hide? I am not a suspicious or paranoid person by nature, but "once burned..." seems to be a reasonable attitude. I ask this sincerely, is there a different way we should be looking at that?

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
A-Team... Excellent point!
If an owner has been in business for a few years there are always drivers that have departed for reasons other than being disgruntled.
Those who had to come off the road for illness, family problems or other non work related reasons. However...
I think a much more accurate indicator of the fleet owner would come from someone who has driven for the owner for at least one year and is still under contract. That person has seen all that is needed to make an accurate assessment of the fairness and honesty of the owner.

thsnks for your input

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
>I respectfully take one small exception to Tom's excellent
>post. The comment "If you have doubt about what you are
>signing, ask for a copy..." I can only say NO! Do not sign
>anything that you have serious doubt about.

SpecialK

Your advice is right on. I was suggesting and perhaps not clearly enough, that if you have any doubts about what you will be signing, you should get a copy of the contract PRIOR to signing.

Furthermore you should always be given a copy of the contract once you have signed. Make certain you keep a copy in your files. Dishonest people have been known to alter what has already been signed.

thanks for allowing the clarification.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
The second concern in Special K's note is this:
Consider this hypothetical situation:
A team of drivers start inquiries and negotiations with a small-fleet owner leading to making a deal.
In due time the team ask the owner for an advance copy of the owner's contract form -- to learn all the terms of the deal in advance -- in an attempt to avoid unpleasant surprises at the time of the signing.
The owner then refuses to provide an advance copy, saying that he will provide a copy at signing but not before.
From the viewpoint of the team, it appears that the owner wishes to conceal something from the team -- possibly in the hope that the team may not see that during the signing, possibly in the hope that the team may see something unfavorable but put up with it anyway ("since we're already here").
Now here's Special K's question -- a very sincere question -- to you owners:
From the viewpoint of the owners, does an owner sometimes have a good reason (a reason important to him) for wanting not to provide an advance copy before the signing?
Special K and I believe that reading an advance copy is an important part of discussing and negotiating the terms -- before reaching the signing -- before reaching the point when the owner says "take it or leave it."
If a previously undisclosed term suddenly pops up in the contract form at the signing, the owner has placed himself at a strong advantage and has placed the team at a strong disadvantage.
Yes, the team has the freedom to get on another Greyhound bus and ride several hundred miles back home.
But there is a tendency for the team to cave in, sign anyway, and get on with it -- and feel that the owner has really done a number on them.
That's the fear of the team -- or a solo driver, of course.
Again, though: From the viewpoint of the owners, does an owner sometimes have a good reason for wanting not to provide an advance copy of his contract form before the signing?
We confess that we may have overlooked something.
Does an owner sometimes seek to protect a legitimate interest by refusing to provide an advance copy?
Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.
Doc.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Doc...

Obviously I can only speak for myself on this issue.

We will provide a copy of our contract, with a provision that the contract itself is not made public, copied or given to any other person or company. We have taken necessary steps at our expense to insure both the owner and driver have specific responsibilities and rights and would not appreciate someone using our contract for their own purposes. This is the only stipulation we have regarding our contracts. I can think of no other reasons except those which you have stated, which essentially places the driver in a compromising position, for an owner to "hide" the details of his contract.

Furthermore, why an owner would want anyone to begin the agreement with anything other than positive feelings about the arrangement is beyond my understanding.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To answer Doc's question, expediency would be one. The faster this truck gets moving, the faster we make money. (I don't particularly buy that ploy, though I've heard it) Maybe the o/o is not negotiable on the terms of his contract. (like Doc said... take it or leave it) He doesn't want to make a legal mess out of something he sees as straight forward.

I think the best thing is for a contract to be simple, yet not vague. I saw a driver wanted classified that stated: 62/38, driver only pays for fuel and expenses. Well, expenses could mean a new engine when this one goes. I like simplicity, ie... 60/40 driver pays only fuel. Not much arguement on that one if something arises. Same with driver responsibilities, ie... daily pre-trip and post-trip (go into detail or state as per manual), weekly truck-wash, pm and oil change every 10-12k miles, extra duties from time to time related to truck or expediting business... so on so forth.

I'd like to hear any other ideas an o/o might put into a contract and keep it simple and straight forward.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree that an advanced copy of a contract is fine. That way both parties know what they are entering into. In addition, some items may be negotiable, and some may not.
Davekc