Requirements for Fed Ex CC

King780

Seasoned Expediter
King780 can you share what caused you to decide to pursue other opportunities and do you mean with other expediting companies, or other business ventures all together?

Well I have decided to see if I can get on with a fleet owner running with Fed Ex CC. I have six months reefer experience and am looking for something new to try. Plus I like the idea of expedited freight. I do not care if it is tractor trailer, straight or cargo van. I am flexible. Could someone explain the 60/40 option??

King780

King780

Seasoned Expediter
I have an accident in my personal vehicle which caused me to get disqualified from panther. Talked to a couple fleet owners on Fed Ex CC and like what I hear thus far. Going to fax in the application tomorrow to my recruiter.

As far as choices for straight truck, van or T/T; I have no issues. All my experience is T/T. What got me attracted to Fed Ex CC was you get haul a variety of stuff plus my ultimate goal is to become DOD qualified.

KH

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Could someone explain the 60/40 option??

The 60/40 option is a common compensation arrangement between fleet owners and drivers in which 60 percent of the gross revenue generated by the truck goes to the driver and 40 percent to the owner. While variations exist among fleet owners, 100 percent of the fuel surcharge generally goes to the driver and the driver pays for fuel.

The other common arrangement is 40/60 where 40 percent of the gross revenue is generated by the truck goes to the driver while the fleet owner pays for the fuel and keeps the fuel surcharge.

The question "which is best?" has been discussed in the Open Forum before. The consensus is that 60/40 is best for a driver who can drive with fuel economy in mind, develop good instincts when making deadhead decisions, and is in a truck that is equipped with an APU (generator).

Note that numerous expediters who operate under the 60/40 plan fail in the busiuness and that numerous expediters who operate under the 40/60 plan also fail in the business.

Neither plan is better than the other if you do not see yourself as a business person when you start and run your business like a business.

King780

Seasoned Expediter
The 60/40 option is a common compensation arrangement between fleet owners and drivers in which 60 percent of the gross revenue generated by the truck goes to the driver and 40 percent to the owner. While variations exist among fleet owners, 100 percent of the fuel surcharge generally goes to the driver and the driver pays for fuel.

The other common arrangement is 40/60 where 40 percent of the gross revenue is generated by the truck goes to the driver while the fleet owner pays for the fuel and keeps the fuel surcharge.

The question "which is best?" has been discussed in the Open Forum before. The consensus is that 60/40 is best for a driver who can drive with fuel economy in mind, develop good instincts when making deadhead decisions, and is in a truck that is equipped with an APU (generator).

Note that numerous expediters who operate under the 60/40 plan fail in the busiuness and that numerous expediters who operate under the 40/60 plan also fail in the business.

Neither plan is better than the other if you do not see yourself as a business person when you start and run your business like a business.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. After thinking it over, I just want to get qualified with Fed Ex CC and see where it goes. I was told I qualify by the "phone conversations" but will know more tomorrow.

KH

King780

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you very much. Right now I am doing research and am calling fleet owners to gather more information on how they operate etc....

KH

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Congrats. I guess the qualifications are more relaxed at the Fed compared to the Cat.

I have known contractors that FedEx that have had their leases terminated that Panther snapped right up. I imagine it is a two way street on this issue.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I got approved for Fed Ex CC today.

KH

I have known contractors that FedEx that have had their leases terminated that Panther snapped right up. I imagine it is a two way street on this issue.

If it has become a two way street, that is a recent development, and I am not convinced that it is a two way street. It does not make sense to me that, as intensely focused on CSA compliance as it is, FDCC would also bring in a driver who has a violation that disqualifies him with Panther.

While no points follow a new driver into a new carrier, carriers also know that one of the best predictors of future violations is a record of past violations. A carrier that cares as deeply about CSA as FDCC does, would not be inclined to bring a bad-record driver in for that reason.

A host of maybes come to mind. Maybe the violation was not the real reason the person was rejected at Panther. Maybe the "approval" the driver got at FDCC was the kind that is given before the background investigation is complete. I know of many cases where fleet owners got drivers so far in the application process only to have the driver rejected after all the info is in. Maybe the driver did a better job in fully explaining the incident to FedEx, such that it was not as bad as Panther thought. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Again, it makes absolutely no sense to me that FDCC would accept a driver that another carrier rejected because an incident deemed serious enough to prompt the rejection. There has to be more to the story that we cannot know without full access to the driver's record and internal workings of the two carriers in question.

What I know for sure is that safety takes priority at FDCC. It is theoretically possible that that has changed but I will need more information than what is presented in this thread to seriously entertain that theory.

It absolutely is a two way street when it comes to contractors and drivers changing carriers for non-safety reasons. It is not at all unusual to see FedEx Custom Critical trucks in the Panther lot and Panther trucks in the FedEx Custom Critical lot when orientation classes are going on. Drivers change carriers for all sorts of reasons.

But when it comes to safety, I would be shocked to learn that FDCC has begun to accept drivers that other carriers have rejected for safety reasons. I simply cannot believe that would happen. I am open, of course, to being proven wrong, but I will expect facts, not theories or innuendo from anyone who would try to do so.

There is one exception. I can see FDCC accepting a driver who was terminated at Landstar Express America for safety reasons. Landstar is quicker to terminate drivers than many carriers and for less reason (this from two people I know who used to work as safety people at Landstar). A quick comparison of FDCC and Landstar SMS numbers bears that out. Landstar's numbers are superior across the board (and they somehow managed to do with without EOBR's).

Last edited:

King780

Seasoned Expediter
Panther disqualified me until my accident in my personal vehicle is 1yr old. My insurance would not give them a $ value on the damage it caused. I did tell Fed Ex CC that I would not go up there until every back ground and DAC report was complete. I do not go 1000 miles only to be sent home.

KH

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Panther disqualified me until my accident in my personal vehicle is 1yr old. My insurance would not give them a $ value on the damage it caused. I did tell Fed Ex CC that I would not go up there until every back ground and DAC report was complete. I do not go 1000 miles only to be sent home.

KH

Probably a good idea to hold tight just to make sure. Let us know the outcome. You never know, it might dispel one of those floating myths.