replacing apu

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
looking at replacing current apu ( rig master) it is starting to nickle and dime us .has over 10,000 hours on it. what would you replace it with?
New rig master,tri pak,carrier,onan, pro's and con's. I have already put in espar heat,love it!! magnum true sine inverter from ICT (we have ICT sleeper) and shore power. ICT has a unit also. Biggest concern is ease of service,if needed.

BIG DOG 122

Seasoned Expediter
I love my Tri pak, never had a problem with it (3500 hrs) and if it screws up, Thermo Kings are everywhere. Pretty costly upfront but if you already have the heater, ducts in place etc. it won't be that bad! Also, Speedco's are doing the PM's on them now cheaper than TK. Some TA's service them, but I won't let them get near mine !!!!!!

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
I also have a Tri pak. It works good only had to replace the belt on it in 4500 hrs. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't get enough power. The alternator dosen't put out enough juice if you need a lot of power. I can run the microwave for a few minutes then I have to start the truck. In the winter you can't plug the block heater in to keep engine warm either. I tried and all kinds of alarms went off. But for AC and it kicking on to keep batteries charged it works great.

BIG DOG 122

Seasoned Expediter
I don't have that problem at all, and I got 2 fridges, microwave etc. Maybe they need to adjust the brainbox at TK.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most run a seperate line for the block heater which really doesn't pull that much. That line likely has a bad ground. TK and the newer Carriers (basically the same thing) are starting to seem like a decent option. Onans are good but finding quick service seems to be a challenge at times and most Speedcos and truckstops are clueless on them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Much would depend on how large and how well insulated your sleeper is. Many of the APU's do not have enough AC BTU's to cool our 96", poorly insulated sleeper.

I would also not by a APU that does not have 'shore power' as an option.

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
Most run a seperate line for the block heater which really doesn't pull that much. That line likely has a bad ground.

Looks like this is something that I need to check into. There is nothing going to the block heater from the apu. I just tried to plug a cord into the inverter then into the block heater plug. Thanks for the info Dave.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My Proheat has 9000 hrs and has been largely trouble free [except for the months I didn't use it because some jerk tech said it needed an alternator when it didn't]. I know Layout has had some problems with his, but they are easily serviced, at least.
Dumb question, guys: how do you know if you have shore power? There's nothing about it in the Proheat manual....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My Proheat has 9000 hrs and has been largely trouble free [except for the months I didn't use it because some jerk tech said it needed an alternator when it didn't]. I know Layout has had some problems with his, but they are easily serviced, at least.
Dumb question, guys: how do you know if you have shore power? There's nothing about it in the Proheat manual....

Shore power was not at options with Proheat. I understand that there is a 'add on' available for about $1000. I hope that I can replace it soon and get a new one with shore power.

It is a VERY good thing, based on my experience, that they no longer make ProHeat. SOME problems? My AC is out AGAIN. It is out more than in. Not to mention the case is rusting out.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
guess i dont understand replacing the apu at all. 10,000 hrs on a rigmaster is nothing. i have almost 13,000 on mine. what is so wrong or nickle and diming that you need to replace it instead of fix it. they are pretty owner friendly to work on. just curious.

the shore power problem is easily and cheaply fixable on any apu that makes 110 v. pm me if you have ? on doing this. i did mine a year ago for about 50.00 bucks. after i wondered why i didnt do it sooner.

easiest clue as to whether you have shore power will be an outside male plug on or under the sleeper or the presence of an automatic or manual switch in the side box or under the bunk. any cords under the sleeper could be shore power or fridge. just turn off the inverter and plug in the cord if stuff works then you have shore powerjust make sure everything, not just the fridge works.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
guess i dont understand replacing the apu at all. 10,000 hrs on a rigmaster is nothing. i have almost 13,000 on mine. what is so wrong or nickle and diming that you need to replace it instead of fix it. they are pretty owner friendly to work on. just curious.

I gotta agree with Dynamite, we have a 5.5kw Onan that has nearly 13,000 hrs on it. This unit just keeps plugging along, and yes it has been in the shop numerous times for repairs, some very costly, but this generator has more than paid for itself and any repairs done to it by keeping wear and tear off of the truck engine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

the shore power problem is easily and cheaply fixable on any apu that makes 110 v. pm me if you have ? on doing this. i did mine a year ago for about 50.00 bucks. after i wondered why i didnt do it sooner.

easiest clue as to whether you have shore power will be an outside male plug on or under the sleeper or the presence of an automatic or manual switch in the side box or under the bunk. any cords under the sleeper could be shore power or fridge. just turn off the inverter and plug in the cord if stuff works then you have shore powerjust make sure everything, not just the fridge works.

The 'shore power' I am speaking of makes the use of the APU AC/heat available without running the engine. Are we speaking of the same thing?

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are looking at getting a rigmaster. One question I have is if we find that it doesnt keep our sleeper cool enough could we add a rooftop air and run it off the rigmaster? I was told the rigmaster has a 6000 watt generator which seems like it should be enough power but would like a second opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
biggest problem i'm having is it dosn't make electricity. was told generator needed to be rebuilt ok rebuilt generator.three week's later no more electrcity ok capacitor need's replacing.replace capacitor three week's later no more electricity. right now the apu is just a big battery charger for the inverter.now the unit run's for 8-10 min. then shut's down due to overheating. sound's like water pump is shot! unit is 5 years old with 10500 hour's on it.enough is enough time to replace!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The generator and the capacitor is likely to run about 1200 for a Tri-pak or Carrier. If you have a Carrier and the AC quits, you likely have the constant leak that can only be corrected by switching to the Teflon hoses. On the roof air and a Rigmaster, that can be done. I know of a team that has that setup.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
first, where have you had it looked at.

no los, i was talking about running the entire sleeper on 110 not the heat and air. the electric heat and air you speak of is a factory option. we have a unit here that has it. pretty expensive though !

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much longer do you plan to keep the truck? To justify a new one as opposed to repairs, I think you'd have to have a lot of life left in the truck. I'm planning on 3 more years on mine, so I'll just spend the money keeping the POS Rigmaster going instead of the huge outlay of money for a new one. I wouldn't worry about the hours. That engine should have a lot of life left with proper oil changes.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
well thats the answer to one ?. so how bout mine, where have you had the thing worked on. some places are supposed to be good and then there are the ones that actually are. 3 or 4 anyway.