Reflective Tape

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
You still got the sticker because it wasn't considered a critical violation. My back-up lights weren't working during a level 1 but I still got a sticker. I was told to take care of it when ever I had the time. I would think that silly holder strap deal would be the same.

OK, So then, was any of the violations really failing the DOTs? I was never issued a citation, every singel DOT was some nonsensical little thing. One on each inspection? Maybe what I thought were failed inspections weren't really failed? Like the one inspection on had, a bent tag, one had could see wiring when walking up behind the truck ect. . . So did I really fail the inspections? This is all very confusing. :confused:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The DOT officer should have given you a Driver/Vehicle Examination Report. If it was on the report you probably got the points. (It takes about 6 weeks for the points to show up) The report also would state if you passed or failed.
You can challenge points by going to https://dataqs.fmcsa.dot.gov/login.asp

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have also heard that straight trucks now need the DOT tape on the sides of the truck covering 1/3 of the box at the bottom.
I know my truck has three small squares on the box. Our other driver got written up and that truck now has the tape basically 1 foot with, and one foot without. down the entire bottom side of the truck.
Another new CSA2010 deal I guess.

I notice my truck which is equipped with a lifgate has a new bar below and attached to bottom side of liftgate that has the DOT tape on it, problem is it hit and got bent at the first dock lock I pulled into since it hangs so low.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
The DOT officer should have given you a Driver/Vehicle Examination Report. If it was on the report you probably got the points. (It takes about 6 weeks for the points to show up) The report also would state if you passed or failed.

No I checked they do not say passed or failed and there is nothing about points on any of them. In the area where it says citation issued no is marked.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

No I checked they do not say passed or failed and there is nothing about points on any of them. In the area where it says citation issued no is marked.

I have never been issued a citation for anything. Like I said I asked the officer in Texas if there would be points on my CDL and he said no.

The one in Ga is pretty easy to read. It says No violations found but it has in the blank box down under where it says violations ( not in the violation box itself but in an area under it) it is typed in about the reflection tape and I was given a passing sticker.

I always keep copies of everything so I do have copies.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
YY, you don't get 'citations' for violations on a DOT inspection, they just note the violations found. And I wouldn't ask the LEO anything, because they often don't know the answer, [or 'know' the wrong answer], and anyhow, it's perfectly legal for LEOs to lie to you.

Dakota: CSA hasn't created any new regs, it's just a different [and draconian, IMO] way of keeping track of violations. As mentioned before, all the regs are in the little green [FMCSA] book already.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Correction: the violations I meant are minor ones - they may issue citations for major violations, I don't know, as I've never got any.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Just because you didn't get any citations or points on your license doesn't mean you didn't get any points on your CSA 2010score. The state sends the violation info to the FMCSA who then applies the points to your score. Even a written warning will get you points.

I know we are required to fax any roadside inspection Driver/Vehicle Inspection Report paperwork to our safety department as soon as possible. I think you are probably required to do this also. Your safety department should be able to check and see what your CSA score is and if you now have any points. Just remember it takes several weeks for the points to be applied.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
You would think the manufacturer of the box would have put the tape on them (the box) if required by law. And if they had changed the law since it was built, the new law should not have been enforced on an older model. This is just nit pikin at it's finest. My ICC bumper is made of metal that is not as wide as the tape. I would have to cut it down to make it fit. It would look like nit if it was on there and probably wouldn't stay on.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While reading this thread I wondered, just what exactly is a reflex reflector anyway?

Our truck is in the shop at a chrome shop now and I am passing time in the waiting room, browsing the store and reading the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Pocketbook.

Examples of reflex reflectors are pictured here.

I have not seen them for sale at truck stops. You can buy one for a buck at the Empire Chrome Shop in West Memphis, just down the street from Speedco. The shop person I asked did not know they were in stock. I found them wandering around the store.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well, I check with Penske and they said the straight trucks don't need the reflective tape down the sides, so maybe it was an over zealous DOT officer. Problem here in Indiana is they fired over 80 DOT Motor Carrier Officers and are using the regular patrol officers to do inspections, and most of them don't know every rule in the book.
I am covered if I get a DOT violation Penske will cover it

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
And I still say, If manufacturer didn't put it on there at the time it was built, why all of a sudden is it a violation if it isn't on there? They are required to make it DOT compliant when built. Just like Penske knows what is required and stands behind their vehicles. If they say it is not required on their boxes, why are ours any different? DOT officers are witch hunting.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am covered if I get a DOT violation Penske will cover it

BUT you will get those get CSA 2010 points. :eek:

I wondered what was going on in Indiana. This past week there were trucks pulled over on the turnpike all over the place and Ohio looks like they are getting into the swing of things with three times as many patrol units running during the week.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
And I still say, If manufacturer didn't put it on there at the time it was built, why all of a sudden is it a violation if it isn't on there? They are required to make it DOT compliant when built. Just like Penske knows what is required and stands behind their vehicles. If they say it is not required on their boxes, why are ours any different? DOT officers are witch hunting.

I agree totally. I think the main problem is the states are requiring the officers to do more inspections and the officers feel a need to find something wrong. These officers are human and can't be expected to know every little law, so this is where errors get made.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I stopped at an International truck dealership early this morning and looked at every new and used box truck on the lot. Not one had the L shaped tape at the top corners of the doors. My conclusion is that it is not in the book. If it was, the manufacturer would be putting it on. They did however, all have the red and white tape along the bottom of the box and bottom of doors (whether swing or rollup). The new boxes were red white, red white continious. Some of the used trucks had red white, skip a space, red white. I did not see one box truck there except for two with liftgates that had tape on bumper. The liftgate trucks just had a solid white piece across one bar on the back.

I know L is not the correct angle, but surely can can read a simpleton's mind.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the problems I see with dealers is that they are used to or look at what trailers need to be legal not what a straight truck needs to be legal and there is a difference.

When I want clarification on a question I have with the FMCSA book I go to OOIDA and ask.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would rather have them treat it as a trailer than not treating as anything. What I mean is that if they put the "extra" stuff on the truck, than it is alright. IT IS when they don't catch the basics and only want to pass the truck through as fast as possible is when a problem occurs.

I think it is something that may be falls into the "the more, the better" category - the more reflective material on the truck, the better it is scene.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Greg I agree with you and believe me our box is outfitted as a trailer as I do not want to have to clarify anything with the DOT. Better to have more then not enough in this situation I think.

We have more but I still want to know what the laws are and where to find them.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
One of the problems I see with dealers is that they are used to or look at what trailers need to be legal not what a straight truck needs to be legal and there is a difference.

When I want clarification on a question I have with the FMCSA book I go to OOIDA and ask.

But manufacturers do the DOT compliance lights, tapes, reflectors and etc, not the dealer who sells the completed unit. I know what you are saying and understand your thoughts, but it is ashame we have to put up with this. Just like the guy who got ticket in Indiana for improper seat belt use. He had the little yellow keeper tab locked that keeps belt from being tight across your chest. If by using the keeper is a violation, why is it on all trucks? It is getting crazy out here.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yep that is what I am trying to say the manufactures listen to drivers and what they think we need or what the manufactures think we need and not verifying it with the regulations.

We need to learn all we can from each other and stay proactive as the buck stops with us.