References, please

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can anyone suggest where to have a starter replaced on a Freightliner, in Nashville? I've heard too many horror stories about the dealers, to just choose the local one!:(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hey Cheri

I thought you were driving a KW?

Anyways, I would probably check with shops that are tied to the engine. If a Cat engine, go to a Cat dealer etc. Probably would be much faster. Possibly a KW or Pete dealer, but I would call to see how fast they could get you in It is a quick job if they got the starter in their hand.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
If it is a Cat I was towed to this Caterpillar location when I was in a Freightliner. My company was footing the bill, but Thompson treated me very professionally.

Thompson Power
Nashville (LaVergne), TN
1245 Bridgestone Blvd.
Nashville (LaVergne), TN 37086-3510

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, EB, for the ref - I'm actually in LaVergne, and will give Thompson a call tomorrow.
Dave: I was driving a KW, and really, really miss it, sigh. Due to factors beyond my control, I've switched trucks (& owners), but am still with the same carrier. The current owner is on the lookout for another truck for me to drive, as this FL70 is a.....a....well, let's just say it's not my favorite, ok? The KW is a better truck for me - not just because it's a better truck, which it is, but because it's a smaller truck, and I'm a smaller person. I was reaching for something the other day, on the passenger seat, and realized that it's a good 6 inches further away, than in the KW. And sometimes, just 6 inches can be a very big deal, yes? :D
PS Why on Earth would they put the stereo on the back wall of the sleeper, with no way to change the volume (or anything else) from the driver's seat?! That's just NUTS!:mad:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Your stereo isn't in the cab, but in the sleeper? That's nuts. I wish I could help you with the starter. I know changing one out is pretty easy. Just a couple bolts and wires. It shouldn't take no more than 30 minutes if they have it on hand.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's funny, Joe, cause here at the TA, they said it'd take 3-4 hrs to change it.....and after having to show the "mechanic" where the points to hotwire it are, I believe it would. :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yes Cheri....the KW is far ahead of the FL70. Not sure I understand the concept of just a radio on the back wall of the sleeper? FL's usually have one in the headliner?.
Maybe I don't want to know:eek:

As far as 3 to 4 hours on a starter replacement, they must rebuilding on the bench as well. I had a down and out guy (no money) I have known for some time that called me up to ask if I could replace his starter for him. I said I would do it here at the farm if he could get the truck here with a new starter. Once arrived, BSing and moving like a turtle to round up my tools and air gun, it was replaced in a hour. He even laughed at me wearing my surgical gloves for the repair. (Dr. Dave):D. Said it was the first time he had seen that. Imagine that.
But hey, it worked, and he was on his way.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sure wish you could change this one too, lol. I managed to stall it, (downshifting after a near panic stop in a truckstop, at 0300 - durn hotrodding bigrigs!:mad:) and had to hotwire it, to get it going again.)
The radio is built in the back wall - apparently it was state of the art, back then, (with a cassette player:rolleyes:), but has no controls within reach of the driver's seat - very odd, if you ask me. I saw a photo of what looked like the same setup, on a truck for sale here, too (helping find another truck, doncha know, lol) so I guess it's not that unusual. But I'd sure like a few minutes with whomever designs the interior of these trucks.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If they are doing a bench rebuild, it still should not take three hours and beside can you really trust them?

Cheri, you too driving an FL70? Isn't there a spot for a radio above you? I know I have a hole where my radio used to be and will be soon again. But the radio in the sleeper, which is against the back wall in my case too, one night it turned itself on and started just going nuts, so it don't work any more :rolleyes:

Curious how do you hot wire your truck?