Red Light Camera

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Did I run the light or not. Comming out of the Walmart Super Center in Laredo I sat thru three cycles of lights and with an ever growing line of cars behind me went and turned left (only choice) on red. I must have straddeled the strip or something. And yes they have a camera at that light. My plates are on the back of the truck so maybe I will slide by.

I even considered calling the police and telling them, so that it will be on the record that I had reported what and why.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
when i was driving a schoolbus i was told in training.....it doesn't matter how much horn blowing the car behind you does, you are responsible for your safety and the childrens safety. there was a light in town that just does not like to change and i sat there quite a while many times.

Jack Berry

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Being in a truck, means never having to say your sorry;) I really don't let four wheelers dictate what I do as far as speed, moving and such. But I had sat for almost five minutes with the lights going thru 3 cycles, but my turn lane light would not change. so I had to run it or I would still be there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's mind-boggling, how often the law & common sense are at cross purposes! I've run a few red lights in the past, mostly in deserted neighborhoods of extremely low safety, but those cameras add another layer of danger - I wonder how many will be able to successfully fight the unreasonable tickets. BTW, the most recent issue of AAA says that the cameras were installed with the claimed purpose of catching the drivers who run red lights & cause accidents, which is a good thing, but they are overwhelmingly being used to catch speeders. And the camera gives no leeway - you will be ticketed for driving 26 in a 25 zone...x(

Ozone

Seasoned Expediter
Those cameras are for traffic control, they do take pictures of license plates and send out tickets.

Believe me, the Laredo Police Department has a lot more to worry about than red light runners.

Ozone

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry, should read, they "do not" take pictures of license plates and send out tickets.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The cities say they are for safety, but in Akron & Cleveland Ohio they generate a nice revenue. So I wonder what the real reason is.

These cameras are being challenged in court because Ohio law says only a law enforcement officer can ticket you and they must witness it so they can testify against the person committing the offense. Right now they issue the citation to the owner of the vehicle even though they may not be driving.

This is another step closer to Big Brother watching you and tracking your movements. Just think of all the items that are marketed for convience that can trace your movements. Example credit cards, ez pass, cell phone GPS tracking, ATM cards,just to name a few. George Orwel "1984" book was off by maybe 75-100 years.

We the public will choose what is more important convience and safety dictated by government or Freedom.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It apparently works - the Denver Police tested it, on the video, & it did exactly what it says it will do. Bet they make a mint selling it in Cleveland, Ohio, where drivers generate big bucks for the city, county, and state.
We thought George Orwell's "1984" was science fiction, didn't we?

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
ya know...i had just been wondering the same thing. it seems like maybe one out of ten times at intersections that are set up with those under-pavement traffic control devices i just can't seem to hit them quite right. and i'll sit through about three cycles...then i'll just go,( if traffic is clear of course),. but i can't figure out why that happens...weight...wheelbase...maybe the pavement sensor is 4' and my tires just roll by on both sides? anyhow, it's quite annoying, but i'm sure officer friendly and judge dread won't find it relatable and therefore not a problem. which is the basis for alot of my little pet peeves. :+

greg334

Veteran Expediter
most of these pavement sensors work off of some sort of magnetic feild that senses the changes in magnetism when a metal object goes over it. The sad thing is that they work better with vehicles low to the ground and not so well with trucks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sometimes it seems that the triggers are located where they will be tripped by a vehicle in the curb lane - who then turns right on the red light, anyway. But at least it gets triggered - one of my pet peeves is the driver who won't pull up far enough to trigger it! Granted, you can't pull up very far, without worrying that someone will cut their left turn so short that they clip your fender, because most people don't make left turns, they make left curves, but still, waiting through several cycles is guaranteed to get anyone's blood pressure up. }>