Real Money

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Greg... then why has gold been used as currency for over 5000 years? Because it stands the test of time. It is permanent. It can be melted, and made into coinage. That coinage, when the issuing nation collapses, can be melted down again into different coinage or bars.

So was salt, actually salt was a currency long before gold was. Salt's importance in ancient times was higher than gold ever was.

It does not mold, evaporate, or wash away. There is only so much gold. It cannot be produced, only mined. Yes, a farmer might have too much gold, and will only sell you some wheat if you give him a lot of it... that's called supply and demand. The same thing can be said of any other commodity. You can't eat oil either. But to some people it's worth something. To an Amish person, it's not. Gold is universal money.

well that's true, it does not mold, or wash away but there isn't so much gold, we have a finite amount of it and on top of that, only a certain percentage of it is used or can be used for this purpose.

You are making my point by the way - thanks.

When I was in the Gulf War, a bunch of us bought Saddam dollars, printed in Kuwait, thinking they'd be collectors items. If I had bought gold instead, I'd be happier today. LOL

I would be too, seeing you be happy with all that gold in today's market.

ahhh greg you do realize that people, regular joes and janes hold enough gold to get them thru their retirement yrs just fine...and that alot of those sme people go "ex-pat" on a regular basis and are living every comfortably outside the US where they are not depending on the USS economy for their aily lives....

Well Dennis, I think you make a good point but the problem is I am not talking about people who have gold who will get through their retirement or those who are ex-pats or anything like that. I am talking about the idea of investing in gold as a vehicle to tie one over in an economic calamity.

As for what will affect you, you can bet, what affects you will affect me, but id venture to say in a completely differnt way....Will the dollar collapse affect other currencies? Sure it will, but while they are affected, not all will collapse...the PIGS are going out in grand fashion, but other countries are till doing fine....there will always be a place and a value to gold...those holding it will do just fine...and to say that it will hold no value here after a economy collapse here, is to say there will be no recovery and that gold will hold no value as a tool to a recovery....both are wrong....

Well first no they won't affect me, they are insiginificant enough in the bigger picture that they can't have any effect on the markets outside of an emotional one.

The dollar collapse will take out a lot of other currencies, including the Chinese Yuan but not those who are more isolated on the world market, like say Iranian Rial.

As to soros , gates, buffet, while their dealings are not to be confused with that of the ordinary investor, they do serve as a window as to how one can invest, but on a smaller basis....

To a point. Buffet's techniques are not all that great and neither is Soros but it matters less to people who are plying their 401k money for a positive movement than people think.

by the way greg, are you telling me that you don't own property outside of the US?? And before you ask, if you take the time to back to post about going ex-pat a yr or so ago with Rlent...you will find the answer...and that was before this current econmic mess we currently are in..

Nope not telling you that. The same goes for the other investments I made but I am telling you that the dollar collapse won't happen because of the instability it will have on the world even if another currency takes it place. On top of that, I have yet seen any evidence, historical or otherwise to back up the claims made that gold will provide you a stable way to survive, it won't and history has shown that it is less valuable than food, material or skills.

And yes gold and silver and other commodities will be used a "barter"...and no, it won't be at a "market value" price....it will be at what you can get with it...and nothing more...and those that take it will be the ones that will make out when a "recovery" starts....

BUT that's all good and well, gold and silver are not usable metals, you can't make weapons out of them (too soft), you can't use them to shelter you or feed you. If there is a real collapse, you need things other than gold. AND on top of that, I feel sorry for those who bought into the idea that they will be safe with this investment because they will have a hard time trading that ounce of gold for that one single egg.

I think this is an illustration of what will happen if something does happen, people will be so hard pressed to come to grips with any and all thoughts of giving up material things like gold or silver but overlook their basic survival needs of food and shelter. Too many people assume that people who have the stuff will give a crap about gold and silver, but will be surprised when they won't take anything unless there is a tangible thing that can be used - like a hammer or even nails. You all are fighting too hard to make a point while overlooking the fact that the $1500 or so dollars is better spent on things that you can use right away, not months down the road.

Last edited:

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Greg... then why has gold been used as currency for over 5000 years? Because it stands the test of time. It is permanent. It can be melted, and made into coinage. That coinage, when the issuing nation collapses, can be melted down again into different coinage or bars.

Because gold can be melted and made into "coinage" or "bars" is why gold is used as currency?

images

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Ok Greg, what was your point again?

His point is, if you are expecting gold to be worth anything in your "Mad Max" scenario, your wrong.

If you are able to buy gold as an investment and you are not expecting your "Mad Max" scenario here in the United States, that's good.

Sorry, but if your "Mad Max" scenario does come to fruition here in the United States and you offered me a gold coin for a chicken, my response would be something like this:

Beat it kid!!

images

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
His point is, if you are expecting gold to be worth anything in your "Mad Max" scenario, your wrong.

If you are able to buy gold as an investment and you are not expecting your "Mad Max" scenario here in the United States, that's good.

Sorry, but if your "Mad Max" scenario does come to fruition here in the United States and you offered me a gold coin for a chicken, my response would be something like this:

Beat it kid!!

images
Not often that we agree, but I agree in this scenario gold is going to be worthless, fuel of any type,food, clothing or a service are going to be the things of value, gold will make a good doorstop. Once the economy recovers, then gold will again have value.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Not often that we agree, but I agree in this scenario gold is going to be worthless, fuel of any type,food, clothing or a service are going to be the things of value, gold will make a good doorstop. Once the economy recovers, then gold will again have value.

The real question is.......did you like the pic? It was pretty good, huh?

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Yes, your almost to the Ragman level of picture finding:D

Whoa....whoa.....whoa.....Let's get something straight here brother, I started the whole facepalm thing and other picture posting, Mr. Rags if anything is riding my coat-tails.

Right Mr. Rags? :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Whoa....whoa.....whoa.....Let's get something straight here brother, I started the whole facepalm thing and other picture posting...
Not even close. A Captain Picard facepalm was posted more than 2 years before you joined here. I would imagine there were others before that.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Whoa....whoa.....whoa.....Let's get something straight here brother, I started the whole facepalm thing and other picture posting, Mr. Rags if anything is riding my coat-tails.

Right Mr. Rags? :D

Bowing down before the great witness23, I sincerely apologize o great one....please forgive me:D

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Not even close. A Captain Picard facepalm was posted more than 2 years before you joined here. I would imagine there were others before that.

It was a joke ya killjoy.

Geez, I bet you're the guy in the neighborhood yelling, "Hey you kids, get off my lawn"

186894_100000571593659_4543333_n.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It was a joke ya killjoy.

Geez, I bet you're the guy in the neighborhood yelling, "Hey you kids, get off my lawn"
That's right... turn it back on me. Sheesh.

In any case, I'll take that bet. I'm one of the few who thinks kids should be able to do what kids naturally do, including running around and screaming in a restaurant. The old farts who complain about kids, yeah, I'm sure they were perfect little angels when they were kids. <snort>

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
That's right... turn it back on me. Sheesh.

In any case, I'll take that bet. I'm one of the few who thinks kids should be able to do what kids naturally do, including running around and screaming in a restaurant. The old farts who complain about kids, yeah, I'm sure they were perfect little angels when they were kids. <snort>

You must eat at Mc Donald's and Chuckie Cheese alot:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I spent 16 years in restaurant management, including McDonald's, Wendy's, Denny's and an upscale steakhouse called The Bullpen.

Check E. Cheese - Where a Kid Can Be a Kid

Never been in one, actually.