RE: Toyota Wins

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Man are you guys lax or what? Toyota wins a NASCAR race and no one prints a word? First time since 1954 a foreign make wins a race!! Am I sensing abit of resentment...especially considering Toyota will be Number One carmaker soon.

Actually Toyota ran One, Two...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
People are in shock. They don't know what to do. Many believe with all their soul that NASCAR is fixed, and it probably is to a degree, what with all the money involved, but if that's true, how can NASCAR allow Toyota to win at all, much less come in 1-2? The horror!

Conversely, if NASCAR isn't fixed, the fact that Toyota won means, that American superiority was an illusion, made possible by not letting anyone else play. We just can't have that. We're the big fish in this pond. Go away.

Take a close look at NASCAR and you'll see a a microcosm of what's happening in America with the automotive market. You'll also see what's to come, cause it's gonna happen there first. In Sunday's race Chevy had 14 cars, Dodge 12, Ford had 7. Toyota had 10.

Joe Gibbs Racing and Toyota will mess a lot of people up this year. But rest easy, Dale Jr will still have his best Cup season ever. It's fixed, remember?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I found it interesting the article on page 1 of the sports section of Monday's "USA Today" focused more on Tony Stewart's criticism of Goodyear than Toyota's win . Goodyear, bad day: Tires a testy topic at Atlanta - USATODAY.com .
I was on the road Sunday and listened to the race on the radio . Towards the end when Biffle was running second and Bush was trying to work through lapped traffic I heard he hard a hard time getting around 2 of Waltrip's Toyota's running side by side . Anybody know anything about this ?

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Man are you guys lax or what? Toyota wins a NASCAR race and no one prints a word? First time since 1954 a foreign make wins a race!! Am I sensing abit of resentment...especially considering Toyota will be Number One carmaker soon.

Well actually you might be able to say a foreign nameplate won but that would be about it. All cars run a ford 9" rearend and every other part of the car is pretty much hand made or machine made to specs. right here in the good ol' USA. nothing foreign about it. In my opinion the Jaguar in 54' is still the only foreign made car to win in Nascar.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I found it interesting the article on page 1 of the sports section of Monday's "USA Today" focused more on Tony Stewart's criticism of Goodyear than Toyota's win . Goodyear, bad day: Tires a testy topic at Atlanta - USATODAY.com .
I was on the road Sunday and listened to the race on the radio . Towards the end when Biffle was running second and Bush was trying to work through lapped traffic I heard he hard a hard time getting around 2 of Waltrip's Toyota's running side by side . Anybody know anything about this ?

I watched those laps and yes he had a hard time getting around those two...but he had enough of a lead to get around as he took care as both had handling problems during the race.

Yes nameplates is all...as these are just replicas of street models, theres nothing after that but highly engineered parts. Toyota is prolly more American then Ford or DC.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Toyota is prolly more American then Ford or DC.
Sssshhhhhh!!!!! Lawrence is gonna hear ya.
smiley_14.gif

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Buck...completely, as 100% American made...they use no parts from any other country?

Lets see Whirlpool/Maytag are the only U.S appliance maker left here in North America. If you've ever hauled out of Laredo or Hildago or El Paso you'd know where a lot of their parts are made.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
COT=BORING RACING. all the cars are the SAME. they have different engines and headlight decals but they all have the same parent. bill france jr. they even had empty seats(GASP!!). must say something about joe lunchbox making a decision to go to work in his car than spend gas money on tickets.

gimme superbirds. gimme big block fords. gimme freddie lorenzen and r. pettySTILL THE KING. gimme buck and buddy and smokey. all nascar is now is advertising. it bl---.

i would rather watch the 12hr at sebring than 4 hrs of nascar. hey the 12 hr at sebring is on this saturday.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jack: You left "Fireball" Roberts & Curtis Turner off your list. How about Joe Lee Johnson, winner of the first race at Charlotte!

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

If it were me - I wouldn't allow Toyota - it's not an American Stock Car. Plain and simple.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do believe it's called NASCAR???
NORTH American Stock Car Not that it matters much... Definition:

A stock car, in the original sense of the term, is an automobile that has not been modified from its original factory configuration. Later the term stock car came to mean any production-based automobile used in racing. This term was used to differentiate such a car from a race car, a special, custom-built car designed only for racing purposes with no intent of its ever being used as regular transportation.

When NASCAR was first formed by Bill France Sr. in 1948 to regulate stock car racing, there was a requirement that any car entered be made entirely of parts available to the general public through automobile dealers, and that all cars must be from a model run of which at least 500 cars of that model were sold to the general public.
Remembering it was a Jaguar that won in 1954...

Last edited:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I do believe it's called NASCAR???
NORTH American Stock Car Not that it matters much... Definition:

A stock car, in the original sense of the term, is an automobile that has not been modified from its original factory configuration. Later the term stock car came to mean any production-based automobile used in racing. This term was used to differentiate such a car from a race car, a special, custom-built car designed only for racing purposes with no intent of its ever being used as regular transportation.

When NASCAR was first formed by Bill France Sr. in 1948 to regulate stock car racing, there was a requirement that any car entered be made entirely of parts available to the general public through automobile dealers, and that all cars must be from a model run of which at least 500 cars of that model were sold to the general public.
Remembering it was a Jaguar that won in 1954...

If you read the link in my message above , NONE of the "cars" racing in the Sprint Cup series are classified as "American" by 75% parts content or more . The Ford Fusion is more American than the Camry ? They should call it Not A Single Car American Really . Since it is here now , many people call the COT CORN -Car Of Right Now . When stock cars WERE stock we all benefited . How many of you remember Richard Petty going to Ford in 1969 because the Torino had a slicker body than the Plymouth and Chrysler refused to let Petty switch to a Dodge ? Improvements in design for racing were found in cars on showroom floors . Manufacturers points are a joke . What do the manufacturers contribute other than money ?
You can't say engines because the performance of the engine depends entirely on which shop builds it . I'd like to see everybody get identical engines made by the manufacturer delivered to each track in sealed crates and installed the morning of the race . Then manufacturers would earn their points .
The one thing about the COT is drivers will earn their points more on their abilities . Hendrick got the jump on COT last year but as more teams have time with it things will even out . Bad tires took skill to control and the drivers didn't like it but it showed who could really drive. Things are not quite as boring as last year .

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Profits go to a heck of a lot of the American workers building the cars, managing the plants, building the plants, etc.

I would guess the split is the same as GM or Ford, what with them building a bunch o' parts overseas and in Mexico.

;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I stand corrected..

The first NASCAR competition held outside of the U.S. was in Canada, where on July 1, 1952, Buddy Shuman won a 200-lap race on a half-mile (800 m) dirt track in Stamford Park, Ontario, near Niagara Falls.