Rates by carriers

mcclainlogis

Not a Member
Just got off the phone with a good buddy of mine in the business.

We got talking about the subjects of my last two threads, cost per mile and straight trucks vs cargo vans.

He is a carrier with his own authority and he told me (and gave me the OK to share to others) that he charges:

2.50 per mile for his straight trucks
and
2.00 per mile for his cargo vans

That sure gave me a clearer prospective and where this expedite market has went since I left just back in September of 2007.

WOW - maybe there really is some hope here.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Also, knowing where he is based and where their customers want them to run plays into it.

I talked to an old friend who manages an expedited carrier in Costa Mesa, CA the other day. He's charging 1200 bucks to send a straight truck from his location to Vegas @ 275 miles.

mcclainlogis

Not a Member
He told me that was his flat rate, so I guess no FSC. So give me your thoughts. He runs out of Detoit and stays in OH, MI. IN, IL and KY.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Greg, just have to ask. Why are you asking the rates that are being paid? Most brokers I have dealt with know quite well what the going rates are.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
He told me that was his flat rate, so I guess no FSC. So give me your thoughts. He runs out of Detoit and stays in OH, MI. IN, IL and KY.

If it meets our criteria for an acceptable rate, doesn't really matter. It either pays enough or it doesn't.
With regards to the Ca to Vegas run, many west coast brokers calculate on milage there and back. They are assuming the truck is returning empty. If it does, that is ok, if it can grab a quick return load, then that is an added bonus.
I should kinda restate that. Many carriers charge for roundtrip milage when billing a load.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maybe I'm missing something, but, to me, I'd think that, as a fleet owner, one would already know the rates before buying all those trucks and getting their own authority.

mcclainlogis

Not a Member
Yes, yes indeed.

But, using what I know, see and calculate and add in what others see, know and calculate combines two, three or four different sides to a formula.

Such information could and I repeat could be more useful than just one view.

But, that is just my thought and my reasoning for asking.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If it meets our criteria for an acceptable rate, doesn't really matter. It either pays enough or it doesn't.
With regards to the Ca to Vegas run, many west coast brokers calculate on milage there and back. They are assuming the truck is returning empty. If it does, that is ok, if it can grab a quick return load, then that is an added bonus.
I should kinda restate that. Many carriers charge for roundtrip milage when billing a load.

You're absolutely correct. And I might add that a lot of short haul carriers that occasionally go a distance do that as well.

Grag, your friend's rate is not that bad, although not necessarily outlandish either. Remember that diesel has gone up about $1,40 per gallon since you were last driving.

mcclainlogis

Not a Member
Jeff-

Thanks for the comment. Yea, everyone needs to set their own rates, keep their own profit margins, and all that.

But, you should always know the competition or you can put yourself out of the market. By either pricing yourself to high OR by pricing yourself to low and forcing yourself into a finanicial crisis.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I certainly believe in setting your own rates and knowing the competition. All I was saying is that the rates your friend set are largely the result of higher fuel charges, not so much the raising of the rates.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
Wonder if you have an MC # what would be the best boards to go to? Then would the bids be posted. So far the sites I seen had little LTL loads for cargo vans. I would assume $2.00 plus fuel surcharge might be fairly close to what lots are bidding except several major ones like E-one, The Cat and Tri ST

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Wonder if you have an MC # what would be the best boards to go to? Then would the bids be posted. So far the sites I seen had little LTL loads for cargo vans. I would assume $2.00 plus fuel surcharge might be fairly close to what lots are bidding except several major ones like E-one, The Cat and Tri ST

Third Party TL and LTL boards usually require only that you fill in a form supplying them with your company data and a subscription fee. Many carrier boards, whether TL, LTL or expedite, require a contract to have access.

mcclainlogis

Not a Member
csands007, I think you are right. I think must of the smaller carreirs are going for that $2.00 per mile rate plus the FSC.

Now, like you said, TS, P2 and some of the others will be able to grab 2.50-3.00 with ease because of their customer base, history and service records - and hell you can't complain about that.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Well for me myself i'd never work again for a flat rate per mile,I'd work only for a percentage because i think its best for me...