Rate per mile?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I hear most are driving for van owners getting paid 60 cent to a buck per mile depending on where they are, but what is the van owner getting paid per mile directly by the shipper per mile? Simply question either you know or not. I'm in Illinois so I'm quoting for Illinois and the Midwest region

The .60 - 1.00 you're referencing generally goes to the van. Your take would be in the area of 50% of that.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Are you the Captain Planet?

If you catch me on a bar stool on a Friday night, I kinda look like Uranus. Yes, double entendre. LOL!!

Have you ever packed fudge in Uranus?

FF1-White-Thumbnail-White.jpg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, what is the cargo van rate per mile in Illinois under your own authority dealing directly with shippers
Its your business, your customers, you set the rate. Your rate per mile will be what ever amount you need to be profitable and competitive. Can you compete with larger carriers on price and more importantly service? It will be difficult for a single van owner to find shippers willing to work with you. If you have two shippers you work with, what happens when you are on a load for one and the other has a shipment?

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

Flash the expeditor

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info, in that scenario it will require another van with a drive. I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before deciding to execute my strategy to succeed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info, in that scenario it will require another van with a drive. I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before deciding to execute my strategy to succeed.
Another van, another driver. A handful of shippers at best, shipping expedite van loads maybe once a week. Tough to keep one van busy, certainly not two. This is expedite which is very unpredictable. When it comes to meeting shippers needs, service usually trumps price.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I was hopeful that others would jump in with advice. Like I stated an Moot confirmed you can not build your business model by thinking you will deal with shippers. And why would you? If you are setting yourself up as a carrier the paperwork will crush you. Then there is the matter of collection, one or two slow paying (or no paying) customers. Most expedite is given by shipper to large logistics companies like Pilot Freight Service or CEVA or one step down to Panther, Fed-X. Then there is a layer of large number of carrier/brokers such as XPO or Bolt. All of the above have multiple offices and sales agents calling on shippers big and small. If the above can't handle it they put it out on load boards for brokers to bid on. That's where you would come in, you would get a chance to bid on freight that at least 2 others would add their profit to before it gets to shipper AND you would still be in charge of collecting from brokers. Now for the bad news, you want to do this in the Illinois area which is home to a very large contingent of eastern European vans that run very, very cheap. Let's see if we can any more participants to throw some information on the table.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
before I got in this , I wanted get a roll back truck, and haul heavy equipment, wreck car's. when I started to look at a truck to haul this equipment , truck salesman, said how much experience do you have, just what I did in navy. people are not going to let you haul their equipment with , little or no experience. so if you want to buy a truck what kind of experience do you have. said was a driver in navy and haul freight, for 20 year's . they said go with what you know. our work for someone who would train you, to do what you want to do.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You need to get your feet wet working for an owner that's leased to a known company to prove yourself before Anyone will let you haul their cargo.
There is simply too much liability involved to go off half cocked in this industry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Conejo

New Recruit
Driver
Your best bet would be to drive for an owner in the type of vehicle you are interested in. Then you can see if this type of work is for you. Hope this helps.
im a drive e-150 how can i find more owners to sign up with? and what are usually the qualifications to be a 1099 of there fleet. Thank you!

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the current rate per mile for a extended Sprinter or Transit?
Rate per mile depends on how a company pays, ( flat rate, percentage, etc,) agreement with a customer...so many variables....what some think is an acceptable rate to haul freight, another wouldn't even turn the key for that rate..I don'tthink that .rates are really dictated by a vehicle length. . I think van rates are pretty much cut and dry, standard rates..