Rare sighting

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
10259763_10152505729756834_1149339970585654321_n.jpg
"The odds of seeing an albino moose are astronomical near Mine Center, Ontario, is even greater than astronomical. To see two of them together is nearly impossible. Wanted to share these photos with as many people as possible because you will probably never have a chance to see this rare sight again.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
View attachment 9300
"The odds of seeing an albino moose are astronomical near Mine Center, Ontario, is even greater than astronomical. To see two of them together is nearly impossible. Wanted to share these photos with as many people as possible because you will probably never have a chance to see this rare sight again.

You are right, they are rare. IF they are albino, as opposed to just white, they need to be removed from the herd as soon as possible. Albinism is a rare, genetic abnormality that causes considerable health problems in the herd, and if the abnormality takes hold it can cause serious problems for the long term health of the local herd.

Many areas have laws protecting white/albino game, Michigan being one. Those laws were passed ages ago, not based on any kind of science but based on feelings/traditions etc. It has, up until now, been impossible to get those laws removed from the books. Our biologists are working hard to get them removed to limit the damage to the deer hear. IF you are seeing a number of albinos you are seeing a herd in trouble.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You are right, they are rare. IF they are albino, as opposed to just white, they need to be removed from the herd as soon as possible. Albinism is a rare, genetic abnormality that causes considerable health problems in the herd, and if the abnormality takes hold it can cause serious problems for the long term health of the local herd.
Horse hockey. The albino herd of Boulder Junction and white deer herd in Seneca (on the former Seneca Army Depot, the largest white deer herd in the world) show no health problems, or any unusual problems of any kind as a result of albinism. The Seneca herd has a lot of inbreeding deformities, but that's due to them being fenced in and inbreeding, not due to their white coats. The brown deer have the same exact issues, and other captive herds of brown deer that have inbred have the same issues, as well. Other white deer (including albinos) do just fine, and don't cause any problems within their herds. We have a rather small number of rare white Fallow deer in the LBL with no problems, with about half of those being true albino, and there is a relatively significant number of white-tail albinos throughout central TN that are strong and healthy. In Williamson County, TN alone (Nolensville, Brentwood, Franklin - just south of Nashville), there are between 40 and 50 albino deer, which is more than there should be in the entire state, according to the 1-in-20,000 occurrence rate.

Even the notion that white deer stand out like a sore thumb and thus are more susceptible to predators is a pure myth. I read that crap everywhere, in news stories, Wikipedia pages, even in the pages of Outdoor Life. It's one of those "absolutely true" conclusions that certainly make sense, but those who study these things have busted the myth. In the 37 states where they are not protected, white deer are taken by predators (man and others) at a slightly lower rate than brown and gray deer. One reason is, unless the animal predators (wolves, coyotes, bobcats, and what not) are already familiar with white deer, they don't even see them as food in the first place. (would you think of a bright white ribeye as food?). If white deer where truly as "Dave's Hot n Juicy" as the myth asserts, none of them would ever make it to adulthood to reproduce.

The notion that albinos are genetically more prone to disease and thus should be culled is also pure myth. If they were a problem in the herd, the herd itself would show distinct signs of ostracism or aggressiveness, but that doesn't happen. White deer, including albinos, mingle amongst the herd without any signs of ostracism or abnormal submissive or dominant behavior. The only exception is white deer, including albinos, tend to be a little more aggressive when it comes to food, but not so much that it's a problem.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 9300

The Big question here is what are those moose looking at ??? Maybe another Rare sighting of a SD plated sprinter on a Load ....lol....:p

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Horse hockey. The albino herd of Boulder Junction and white deer herd in Seneca (on the former Seneca Army Depot, the largest white deer herd in the world) show no health problems, or any unusual problems of any kind as a result of albinism. The Seneca herd has a lot of inbreeding deformities, but that's due to them being fenced in and inbreeding, not due to their white coats. The brown deer have the same exact issues, and other captive herds of brown deer that have inbred have the same issues, as well. Other white deer (including albinos) do just fine, and don't cause any problems within their herds. We have a rather small number of rare white Fallow deer in the LBL with no problems, with about half of those being true albino, and there is a relatively significant number of white-tail albinos throughout central TN that are strong and healthy. In Williamson County, TN alone (Nolensville, Brentwood, Franklin - just south of Nashville), there are between 40 and 50 albino deer, which is more than there should be in the entire state, according to the 1-in-20,000 occurrence rate.

Even the notion that white deer stand out like a sore thumb and thus are more susceptible to predators is a pure myth. I read that crap everywhere, in news stories, Wikipedia pages, even in the pages of Outdoor Life. It's one of those "absolutely true" conclusions that certainly make sense, but those who study these things have busted the myth. In the 37 states where they are not protected, white deer are taken by predators (man and others) at a slightly lower rate than brown and gray deer. One reason is, unless the animal predators (wolves, coyotes, bobcats, and what not) are already familiar with white deer, they don't even see them as food in the first place. (would you think of a bright white ribeye as food?). If white deer where truly as "Dave's Hot n Juicy" as the myth asserts, none of them would ever make it to adulthood to reproduce.

The notion that albinos are genetically more prone to disease and thus should be culled is also pure myth. If they were a problem in the herd, the herd itself would show distinct signs of ostracism or aggressiveness, but that doesn't happen. White deer, including albinos, mingle amongst the herd without any signs of ostracism or abnormal submissive or dominant behavior. The only exception is white deer, including albinos, tend to be a little more aggressive when it comes to food, but not so much that it's a problem.

Horse hockey. I hunt with biologist ALL the time. I will take their word thank you very much.

Albino animals suffer from the exact same problems that albino humans do.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Horse hockey. I hunt with biologist ALL the time. I will take their word thank you very much.
One of my best friends is the chief biologist in charge of the deer and elk herds in the LBL. It's what he does for a living. He disagrees with you, as do the published studies on the matter. The assumption that they can take hold and damage a herd comes from the same school of thought that they stand out like a sore thumb and are more susceptible to predators. Both assumptions have been proven incorrect.

Albino animals suffer from the exact same problems that albino humans do.
Yep. And neither one damage the herd.