Random thoughts on Life, Liberty, etc.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Listening to Hannity try and convince a couple of teenagers to vote for McCain made me wonder... why did we lower the voting age??? To me, 18 is too immature an age to vote. For those who would yell, "But it's old enough to die in a war", I'd say fine... age to vote is 21, unless you're in the service. Talk about a clueless generation! But when a good chunk of ppl are more worried about voting for the next Idol, than to educate themselves on whom they're voting for for president, then I'd say the clueless label transcends generations. :p

To me, the framers of the Constitution had the right idea when setting up voter qualifications, as far as owning property. They also had it right to make the Senate elected by that state's legislature. That way, the power of the state would be tied to the Senators. It would pretty much eliminate the power of those like Kennedy and Byrd, who've been in office longer than I've been alive. It was never meant to be a career. One thing they neglected were term limits for Congress.

Someone mentioned that lawyers shouldn't be law makers. I agree. They get by on the legalese on bills and proposals, and we laymen can't understand a lick. It's also a conflict of interest, IMO. The founding fathers had a few lawyers; but were mostly farmers, merchants, and bankers. Amazing how simple the laws of the time are to understand now. So simple, that ppl read too deeply into them (second Amendment, for example), and try to read the framers' dead minds. Of course, the courts are supposed to interpret them that way... according to what the framers intended. But then you have ppl like Darth Vader Ginsburg on the bench...

Heard a snippet yesterday, where Bill Maher called the average American to be too stupid to vote. His rant was about the 70%+ of the ppl wanting Congress to allow for offshore drilling. Basically, those ppl are too stupid to realize that won't do anything to reduce costs. Sorry Bill... but I think smarmy elitists, like you, are too stupid to vote, since you can't understand the simple math of supply and demand. Of course, the left understands the concept very well... supply the masses with freebies, and they'll demand more. Which brings me to my final rant...

Amazing how ppl don't give a rat's behind how much they're being taxed, as long as the gubermint is there to bail em out. Me thinks they'd change their tune if they were paid IN FULL each paycheck, then paid their taxes themselves... out of pocket. Me also thinks we'd have a lot more Republicans. Not that the Republicans are worth a damm anymore, as the party was infiltrated by libs. But the ideals are right, at least.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
So having the ability to secure financing on a piece of land makes you smart enough to vote? Get real. I know people that own thousands of acres of land and carry a wad of cash big enough to choke a mule and they are dumber than a box of rocks. They just have what they have because daddy or granddaddy worked hard and got it.

You talk about an elitist attitude sounds kind of like you have one thinking only property holders can vote. Heck a grand will get you a half acre and you can vote. I'm guessing you own property?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Not an elitist attitude, Ark. It's simple. If a person has something to lose, they're more likely to educate themselves in the political process. If they have nothing to lose, they likely wouldn't mind someone else paying for their freebies.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There is only one thing I think land owners should get that others don't. See where I live the land owners' property taxes go to the public school. I feel like if a land owner wants to send their children to a private school they should get some portion of the tax sent to the school for tution. Kinda like the financial aid the Federal Government has at colleges. Except it would be based on your income, but instead on the amount of your property taxes.

The main problem I have with only land owners being able to vote on things is because if you did that they would run the country. They would fix where if you don't own property from this date on you never will. I don't know the exact reason why the law was changed, but I bet there was a good reason.

The only thing I own free and clear is a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport with 95,000 miles on it. If Barrack Obama get elected I we all have something to loose. Regardless of how much dirt we own.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
How many houses does he own ? Guess more then the average bear Yoggi?
Your a great guy Hawk,just a little parinoid and slightly brain washed. So was Henry the V (read W your 2 time hero) so your in company.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did McCain buy his legally? It seems that Osama Obama might not have bought his multi-million dollar mansion in a legal manor. His 2% BELOW market price interest rate, secured with the help of a convicted felon. No down payment. No credit check. No closing costs. No loan origination fees. I can go on and on about this goober. If you live in a glass house don't throw stones. The first window you break may be your own. In fact, I would love to see the loan to income ratio that the non-capitolist Obama's have. It would be interesting. I would love to know how his wife got a new job at triple her prior pay rate just 3 month after her hubby was elected to the State House. A job at a publicly owned hospital. In a city run but corrupt Demecrats like the Daleys. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And besides, the last time I checked it was NOT illegal to invest in real estate in this country. Or is this one of the things that will be outlawed in Osama Obama's Brave New World? Think that would apply to the Kennedy's multiple propertys? Or the Kerry's? Need I go on? Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Honestly, who cares how many houses McCain can't remember he owns, he does not have to read off a teleprompter or have speeches written by some leftist Cha supporter.

The really really sad thing is Obama screwed up. He chooses Biden to be his VP and this guy is a really great racist. I mean look at the comments he has made, about the Indians, about Obama and about others just amazes me. What I understand is the reason is becuase he has so much foreign diplomatic experince through the Foriegn Relations Committee, which is a bunch of sh*t.

Now the other really sad thing is that people are counting on Obama for "change" but they are fooled by the guy, with Biden on the ticket, it will be more of the Pelosi style status quo.

Oh and how can the black community vote for Obama when he sold out to someone who was condemmed by the same community when he said ""I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy, ... I mean, that's a storybook, man.".

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you can call what he has experiance. After all, he is ONLY a Senator and we all know what a waste of air they are. Remember the old saying, "IF you can't do teach and if you can't teach go into politics." or something like that. Layoutshooter

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
1. GET RID OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE - Who are these guys anyway?
The Electoral College was set up by our forefathers as a convenient way of reversing the popular votes of earlier immigrant settlers who were in lots of cases indentured servants and laborers. They were not to be trusted with their votes (just in case), so they put in the Electoral College. The vote in 2000 is a great example of why the Electoral College should be eliminated. The guy that most of us voted for didn't make it to the White House. Doesn’t that bother you? We're not children whose votes have to be reversed in case we decide to vote for someone who may change the world.

2. EQUALIZE CORPORATE FUNDING IN ELECTIONS
Just because we're a capitalist nation doesn't mean that the one with the most money should win. Our current campaign processes are designed to corrupt the winner with favors owed to large financiers (as I like to call them):

The American Medical Association
Oil companies
Pharmaceutical companies
Weapons manufacturers
Candidates should worry about one thing...doing a good job for the public, not the corporate world. Therefore, nationwide, no contributions over $1000 should be allowed by any corporation. That is the same amount that is capped for a contribution by a private citizen.

3) TAXATION BY MULTIPLE CHOICE
Imagine being able to decide exactly where a considerable portion of your personal tax contributions go. Isn't this a democracy? Shouldn't we be limiting red tape? Imagine having multiple-choice boxes on your annual tax forms that you can check off that represent the various national programs our tax dollars are spent on.

So if you want the portion of your tax dollars that you control to go to social programs... so be it. Education/Schools, check. You get to decide how much of your total tax dollars go into each category including Defense, Healthcare, Welfare, etc.

4) INSTANT RUNOFF VOTING IN OUR ELECTORAL PROCESS
Let’s take the bureaucracy out of our electoral process and put power back into the hands of the voters. Instant runoff voting (IRV) is one of the most exciting electoral reforms in the United States. IRV is a voting system for single-winner elections that guarantees majority winners in a single round of voting. IRV allows voters to vote their hopes instead of their fears by ranking candidates in order of preference without worrying about spoiler dynamics or wasted votes. IRV also eliminates the need for low-turnout, high-cost runoffs.

Vote your conscience and not who you think may win. Our culture is conducive to having too many people follow suit with what they see and hear in the national media. Tragically, too many of us who are electing public officials are affected and influenced by who is leading in the polls as opposed to who best represents our political and moral agenda. If IRV was in place, voters in 2004 wouldn’t have had to worry that their votes for Ralph Nader would have benefited George Bush.

5) ABOLISH ALL PAID AND PROFESSIONAL LOBBY FIRMS
Over the years, former Congressmen, Secretaries of State, etc, working for major K Street lobbying firms have represented the paid interests of many foreign governments and corporations to the detriment of the interests of the American public. It's time we erase this form of corruption from our democracy. -Serj Tankian

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not sure about getting rid of the electrorial college. That would insure that if 8-10 big cities vote one way, which they always do, the same party or idea would win. Always. What we need to do is the following: A candidate must win 26 states to win the presidency. To win a state that candidate must win 51% of the counties in that state. The representitive part of our government is NOT the presidency it is the house of representives, ONLY. The Senate is equal, 2 per state. The President is not only to represent big cities, but all of the people from ALL parts of the country. Gee a president who might have to know more that urban problems, what a novel idea. Never happen, the welfare bums run the country. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well if no one gets this, that's alright.

Senators make lousy leaders.

We have had only one pair of senators in office, Kennedy/Johnson and look at how that turned out.

As for the Obama/Biden ticket, it is a sad pairing and shows that the candidate should not pick, the party should. But Biden will no doubt settle for being in the shadows like Gore did.

Now McCain's camp is spinning Lieberman, and I think that is as scary as Obama's pick. I think Lieberman would be better than Biden but not good enough to me. McCain needs a successful Governor or maybe a business leader (even Military at this point).

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would like to see our current Secretary of Defense as VP, no chance in hell. Jerry Curry would be could but he is as old as McCain,too bad, he is VERY experianced in defense, intell , started life as a private and worked his way up to general. Not a easy feat for a man of mixed race in the '50's. He did that by working harder than everyone else in his classs. Layoutshooter