Ram's new cargo van...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If only they'd put a real fuel tank in the thing. 24 gallons is a joke.

no kidding....you will be filling up every 250-300 miles...if 15 mpg

I thought mine was small at 26, but I get like 23-24 mpg easy...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought my 31 gallon was small. I'd get 16-17 mostly but could get 18 if I worked at it. It still seemed like a small tank. I thought they should have put the 36 I think it was from the pu and Suburban. That new Sprinter with the 4 cyl. with the 17 or so gallon aux tank added to the standard 26 might be a nice setup.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought my 31 gallon was small. I'd get 16-17 mostly but could get 18 if I worked at it. It still seemed like a small tank. I thought they should have put the 36 I think it was from the pu and Suburban. That new Sprinter with the 4 cyl. with the 17 or so gallon aux tank added to the standard 26 might be a nice setup.

if it gets the MPG's they expect....it would get over 900 miles to a fill up....You could do a Detroit to Laredo and fillup only once.....LOL

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was just looking at the MB website for sprinters and it seems that in 2014 the 4cyl will be standard and the V6 will be an option. But will the price be lower for the 4cyl or will the base price before adding options be 43K.

Now the big difference between the two vehicles comes down to length as the big 8500 MB is 15 and the Dodge is 13.3. My 05 sprinter is 13.6 inside. I haven't found anything I can't haul if I put the bed up and sleep down the side of the freight.

I have 3 choices

One buy a new MB sprinter, two buy a dodge ProMaster or three wait till sometime next year and maybe buy the Ford, that is if they don't have anymore production problems.

The vehicle I buy will be the last for me since I'm going to slow down once I hit 62 in a little over 3 years.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was just looking at the MB website for sprinters and it seems that in 2014 the 4cyl will be standard and the V6 will be an option. But will the price be lower for the 4cyl or will the base price before adding options be 43K.

Now the big difference between the two vehicles comes down to length as the big 8500 MB is 15 and the Dodge is 13.3. My 05 sprinter is 13.6 inside. I haven't found anything I can't haul if I put the bed up and sleep down the side of the freight.

I have 3 choices

One buy a new MB sprinter, two buy a dodge ProMaster or three wait till sometime next year and maybe buy the Ford, that is if they don't have anymore production problems.

The vehicle I buy will be the last for me since I'm going to slow down once I hit 62 in a little over 3 years.

I just hit 62...this is the last van I am buying..unless this one gets totaled out in the next 3 yrs....If I was going to buy, it would have been when the engine out went last year...I've got too much invested in this one.....have it lined up for body work and paint job now...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm at 300K on my 05 sprinter and it's time to start looking and saving for something new for the next 4 years or so. Sprinters are high dollar to keep up and I'm hope the new vans that both Ford and Dodge put out are not as expensive to upkeep.

Heck, the ProMaster has a 18500 mile oil change interval compared to the 10K for sprinters. Depending on if you have your own filters it costs upwards of 200 to do a oil change and close to that for transmission work from most Freightliner dealers. Now Dodge does make Freightliner look cheap since most charge 2 arms and legs for the same service.

JetAgeHobo

Rookie Expediter
So apparently they've started production on the Promaster in Mexico this week, about 3-4 days ago as of this writing. Hoping to at least see them in the dealer's soon to take a good look close up.

moose

Veteran Expediter
you go to an American car dealer to buy an Italian van made in Mexico, or buy an German van @ an American truck dealer that's owned by an German corporation, all because a great British van is too slow to role off of a Missouri production line.
simple!

moose

Veteran Expediter
O'h crap, i forgot about this one:
an original, obviously superior, Italian van of your choice, is readily available, yet is not permitted to be sold to you via the Italian cars networks of dealerships all across America...to protect American automakers...
go figure!

JetAgeHobo

Rookie Expediter
you go to an American car dealer to buy an Italian van made in Mexico, or buy an German van @ an American truck dealer that's owned by an German corporation, all because a great British van is too slow to role off of a Missouri production line.
simple!

That grey stuff on the wall over there is my head what just exploded. ;)

Or if you're into the small city van market, a Japanese van re-badged as an American Brand

Nissan NV200 puts on a Bowtie as new Chevy City Express - Autoblog

Hints of things to come for the General?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to the configurator in OVM's link the diesel option ($4k) comes with 3.8 gallons more fuel capacity.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks. I was trying to run it by clicking the 3500 and for some reason couldn't get it to run. Looks like about $45,000 for a loaded diesel one ton and around $41,500 for a very nice 2500.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does it include destination fees and the other gotyas the dealers adds?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just was on the Dodge web site and you can now build the vehicle and they also have a payment calculator after you build the vehicle

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It looks like they are starting to trickle into dealerships. Saw one plated up ready for delivery at small Dodge dealer in Ontario. Looked good.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It looks like they are starting to trickle into dealerships. Saw one plated up ready for delivery at small Dodge dealer in Ontario. Looked good.

Better than a Ford Transit ...? lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I seen a couple of promasters on the back of a flatbed at a loves here in Texas, they were not the long ones, looked like passenger vans.