Ram's new cargo van...

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
Ram's putting out a new cargo van that should make a dent in the business. Those of you in vans may seriously want to switch.

Price? Thousands less than a Sprinter. Fuel economy should be better than a sprinter with the diesel. Carries more than anything except a sprinter dually.

The long version can hold 3 full pallets. The tall version goes up over your head, even if you're tall.

And the floor is 6 inches lower than the competition.

Ram ProMaster - the big van based on the Fiat Ducato

18K miles possible for diesel oil change, 10k for gas.

It weighs less than the competition. It is available with a suspended driver's seat that swivels... so can the passenger seat. Backup camera in the dash... Better aerodynamics than the others.

You can have 3 cargo doors... left, right, and back, and any of them will fit a full pallet, and the tall one has a 70 inch tall door. It's 52 inches between the wheelwells.

The diesel comes with an automated manual trans (not automatic). The gas is the pentastar v-6, with 280HP, comes with 3 different final ratios.

Anyway... I'd expect to see a lot of delivery and some expediters get into these. Just thought some might be interested.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is a bunch of posts on here about it and the new ford. More on the Ford I think some pictures of both too.

One of the most interesting dodge features is front wheel drive that is why the cargo floor can be lower.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It definitely has potential as presented. It will be interesting to see just how closely it matches these specs.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
I was thinking of becoming an o/o courier where I'm moving to, and while trying to find something that's fuel efficient, but also allow freight hauling.

This should do pretty good in the MPG department and cheap enough to afford that, and yet leave other options open for some expediting, as well.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
It definitely has potential as presented. It will be interesting to see just how closely it matches these specs.

It's supposed to be at the dealers in Q3, which means Aug to Oct availability. I really want to know what the diesel does in the MPG department.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I really liked the specs, especially the lower floor height, until I read they made the sucker 83" wide!!! Why? Just so they can advertise the widest width? The real MPGs they would have saved with a lower roof height flew out the window with that width.

Then the GVWs make no sense at all.

And its just so fugly!!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the width. With as straight as the walls are you could put the typical 10" shelf units along the walls and still have room for 48" cargo with an inch or two spare on either side. From the driver's seat it's beautiful just like the ugly Ford, MB, GM etc. etc. units. They all look the same. I'll go look at them when they come out, just for grins.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I hope it's a misprint. 4000 miles on 5 gal. Of DEF. Not good. Getting 10 to 11k on 5 gal. on my sprinter.

I like it tho.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2014 Sprinter is now 30mm lower to the ground...with the new 4 cyl engine and transmission..they claim about 24 mpg's again.... just don't say what model configuration that is...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The front wheel drive and removing what little weight you have in the back will make for a wild ride in the winter. We should have OVM test one in N.D winter winds and see how it does.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The front wheel drive and removing what little weight you have in the back will make for a wild ride in the winter. We should have OVM test one in N.D winter winds and see how it does.

that back end should flip around and pass the front end pretty quick....LOL
even with rear drive...my first experience with SD windand on ice and snow...JuJu and I were on I 90 headed out of Rapid Eastbound.....the wind was blowing the backend over and the ASR was kicking in making us like a pendulum on a clock....not good....

What they don't tell you in the owners manual....when it is that slippery turn the ASR ...OFF and drive it yourself....well duh!!

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The front wheel drive should improve winter driving.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
that back end should flip around and pass the front end pretty quick....LOL
even with rear drive...my first experience with SD windand on ice and snow...JuJu and I were on I 90 headed out of Rapid Eastbound.....the wind was blowing the backend over and the ASR was kicking in making us like a pendulum on a clock....not good....

What they don't tell you in the owners manual....when it is that slippery turn the ASR ...OFF and drive it yourself....well duh!!

I have to admit the asr has saved my butt on black ice a couple times. I would be afraid to turn it off. Maybe they have improved it over the years.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I don't know Xiggi....that long of a wheel base.....??....but then again...in theory TT's are front wheel drive...since the majority of truck is behind the drive wheels....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to admit the asr has saved my butt on black ice a couple times. I would be afraid to turn it off. Maybe they have improved it over the years.

off track....

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

I'm with xiggi on this one... the front wheel drive AND long wheelbase will still leave plenty of weight on the rears, with the fronts pulling them. Winter traction and stability will be superior.

Stupid GVWs though!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with xiggi on this one... the front wheel drive AND long wheelbase will still leave plenty of weight on the rears, with the fronts pulling them. Winter traction and stability will be superior.

Stupid GVWs though!

push vs pull.....:p

They probably saved a couple hundred pounds in weight with fr w dr.....no extended drive shaft , no hanger bearings...

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking those front axles and U-joints better be top grade and super strong though. That's the weak link in front wheel drive, especially in a tough service situation. I wouldn't buy the first year of this one.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking those front axles and U-joints better be top grade and super strong though. That's the weak link in front wheel drive, especially in a tough service situation. I wouldn't buy the first year of this one.

But yet you think the Transit will be OK in the first year. .

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app