Ram's new cargo van...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
when I bought my first CV Dodge van the purpose was for bulk newspapers...I had no concern whatever about weight....I must have had 5,000 to 6,000 lbs at least with Saturdays paper and all the inserts...it was all local work...

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The Transit is the same way except not re-badged....why they are having so many problems setting up a line....when all they have to do is clone their European line...

I believe the article linked in the op indicates they're not just rebadging or cloning the Fiat van but have re-engineered it to a great degree to abide by American standards, frame wise, electronics, safety wise, GVW limits, etc.

Has the PowerMaster had release delays as much as the Transit has? I have no idea, really.

I do like it more than the Transit, though, and if ever in the market for a longer, taller, van would go for the PowerMaster first. Though by the time I'm likely able to afford one, the GMC Super Savana will have been out for a year or two ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe the article linked in the op indicates they're not just rebadging or cloning the Fiat van but have re-engineered it to a great degree to abide by American standards, frame wise, electronics, safety wise, GVW limits, etc.

Has the PowerMaster had release delays as much as the Transit has? I have no idea, really.

I do like it more than the Transit, though, and if ever in the market for a longer, taller, van would go for the PowerMaster first. Though by the time I'm likely able to afford one, the GMC Super Savana will have been out for a year or two ;)

exactly the problems Ford is having...for those of us lucky enough to get to KC ...many modifications being done...pushing back the schedule...
I was hoping for more North American content, seeing they are assembled here...have a warranty problem? Faulty water pump?...sorry made in Turkey and it is a PIA to get the part as water pumps go to South Africa to be installed on the engines being made there.....oppsy....

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Re: sliders or swing doors - my experience with sliding side doors was with older Econolines, on which, as OVM says, were always having some sort of problem or another that increased with age and constant use. Had one whose rear upper roller would occasionally jump track and most always had to have a helping push (usually a hard slam with a shoulder) on the rear of the door to close right, as well as needed a lot more attention in lubing the track. Was a pain in the butt in comparison to swing doors.

Good to hear the sliders on your GM, Moot, and on your Sprinter, Ken, aren't anywhere near as much problem.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: sliders or swing doors - my experience with sliding side doors was with older Econolines, on which, as OVM says, were always having some sort of problem or another that increased with age and constant use. Had one whose rear upper roller would occasionally jump track and most always had to have a helping push (usually a hard slam with a shoulder) on the rear of the door to close right, as well as needed a lot more attention in lubing the track. Was a pain in the butt in comparison to swing doors.

Good to hear the sliders on your GM, Moot, and on your Sprinter, Ken, aren't anywhere near as much problem.

my Econolines were fleet vans driven by 18-25 yr olds mostly....you can imagine the abuse...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Fiat's sold millions, and they have a pretty good reputation, and Chrysler upgraded pretty much everything, from frame to brakes, to drivetrain. Seriously, I doubt it will be any big issue.

Yeah, it's not like they're going to be made of titanium. I used to break them apart (bad ones) and the "balls" in them were great for sling shots.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, we're a niche market but gvw numbers affect everyone not just us. That was my point. Also, I'm sure there's more to it than just pasting D O D G E on the back door but my point was it isn't an absolutely brand new never before seen vehicle like a 1964.5 Mustang or whatever.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, we're a niche market but gvw numbers affect everyone not just us. That was my point. Also, I'm sure there's more to it than just pasting D O D G E on the back door but my point was it isn't an absolutely brand new never before seen vehicle like a 1964.5 Mustang or whatever.

Just call a Fiat dealer in Italy or somewhere over there and find out what their numbers are?...NA version might be a little different.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
Just call a Fiat dealer in Italy or somewhere over there and find out what their numbers are?...NA version might be a little different.

The US version has different crash standards, higher weight capacity, bigger brakes, different drivetrains and other structural changes.

Probably in a year or two, Fiat will then sell the re-engineered version from Chrysler over there. According to somewhere I read, Chrysler had tested 4.5 million miles worth of prototypes. I know they have massive Brembo four piston disc brakes, and the electronics are way different, they include the uconnect system and gps and info display in the dash.

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gas 3500 37K sticker price, wonder how much more for the diesel version. Gas or diesel that is the question for me at this time.

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
4K for the diesel option on top of 37K and other options will bring the van to about 42 to 43K, MB would be at 45 to 47K for an 2014.

Dodge max length is like my 2005 sprinter 169 to 160 inches for the ProMaster. Width of the promaster is larger at 73 inches height is better in the ProMaster and the width between the wheel wells is better in the ProMaster at 56 inches. Plus the Dodge will carry more freight then the sprinter.

I have my sprinter up to 300K in miles and I was looking for a newer van and they still are over priced for a used one. Therefore, New is what I might go for this time around and since Ford is over a year out for their Van, I just might end up with a Dodge about Christmas time.

**** I'm talking myself into a new van.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
4K for the diesel option on top of 37K and other options will bring the van to about 42 to 43K, MB would be at 45 to 47K for an 2014.

Dodge max length is like my 2005 sprinter 169 to 160 inches for the ProMaster. Width of the promaster is larger at 73 inches height is better in the ProMaster and the width between the wheel wells is better in the ProMaster at 56 inches. Plus the Dodge will carry more freight then the sprinter.

I have my sprinter up to 300K in miles and I was looking for a newer van and they still are over priced for a used one. Therefore, New is what I might go for this time around and since Ford is over a year out for their Van, I just might end up with a Dodge about Christmas time.

**** I'm talking myself into a new van.

1 question whilst you are talking yourself into this...
How do you know it will carry more freight not knowing what the empty/curb weight is?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1 question whilst you are talking yourself into this...
How do you know it will carry more freight not knowing what the empty/curb weight is?

Now this is the gas model I'll look up the diesel one next

pecifications

Body Style: Cargo Van
Vehicle Size: Large
Drive Type: FWD
Doors: 3
Seating Capacity: 2/2 passengers
Engine Block: V
Engline Type: Gas
Cylinders: 6
Displacement: 3.6 L.
Valves: 24
Compression Ratio: 10.2:1
Torque: 258ft-lbs @ 4175 rpm
Horsepower: 280hp @ 6400 rpm
Fuel Type: Regular unleaded
Fuel Capacity: 24.0 gal.

Wheelbase: 159.0 in.
Overall Length: 250.5 in.
Vehicle Width: 80.7 in.
Vehicle Height: 99.4 in.
Luggage Capacity: 529.7 ft3.
Curb Weight: 5034 lbs.
Max Payload: 4310 lbs.
Gross Weight: 9350 lbs.
Towing Capacity: 5100 lbs.
Turning Circle: 93.6 ft.

Acceleration:
0mph-60mph
8.1 seconds
Exterior Colors

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If those numbers are correct...3,500 lbs should not be a problem....by the time you load up the van with all the toys...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If only they'd put a real fuel tank in the thing. 24 gallons is a joke.