Rain Gear

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Now that we are getting into the Spring rainy season I am wondering what you all do when you are in and out of the truck getting soaked. We bought some ponchos but they rip easily and they are a mess to deal with in general. Maybe we need better quality ponchos but I'm not sure they make a good heavy duty poncho. Any other ideas? I'm considering a "butch" haircut - that will solve the wet hair problem. *grin*

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
The best way to face life’s
changes is to look to the unchanging God.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The wet hair can be solved with a 'gimme cap', it's the wet clothes that make it such a pain! In a torrential downpur, you're going to get wet - I don't know of any way around it, except full raingear: pants, jacket, and hood tied tight round your face - always real attractive, lol. Either way, you get back in the truck and have to find a way to hang the wet stuff so it doesn't mildew. Maybe a clothesline, strung across the inside of the box? :+
I hope someone else has a better idea - I always ended up hanging the wet stuff around the inside of the truck as best I could, which wouldn't have worked if someone else was needing to sleep back there...
Great question, India - how do others deal with the wet clothes problem?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
RE: RE%3A Rain Gear

I like this one better! It's just a bit tricky, finding an extra hand to hold it, when I'm using both already...someone should devise a way to keep the bumbershoot overhead, maybe a hatlike frame?

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Well, wow! I'm so glad I asked!!!! Hehehehehehe

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
The best way to face life’s
changes is to look to the unchanging God.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wouldn't buy any more ponchos, plastic trash bags with holes for your head & hands are better than that - they don't blow up over your face in the wind, and you can throw them away after one use, without feeling guilty about it.
I really would like an umbrella that left my hands free, though - I'm gonna have to think about that one.;)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have been thinking about this and how to make it better but have not made any progress. We also have an umbrella and that does help when just walking into the truck stop or if Bob is chaining! I hold the umbrella and flash light he chains great arrangement. FedEx has what is a re usable poncho they sell that is not bad but terrible unyeildly. It is a huge garbage bag which I consider a throw away item. We keep them and use them when we have to do a transfer in less then desirable weather and just throw them away when finished. We have found the steering wheel is a great drying rack and use that most often with a coat. We also have put brushes for our shoes on the steps and take our shoes off at the door when they are wet or muddy. It seems as if not matter what we do we still end up with mud in the sleeper on our wooden floor. We have just not found a win win situation.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The very best are those that can be purcahsed at Motorcycle Dealer and not (Harley) They are heavy duty and you will stay dry. Jackets and Bibs, I doubt your gona need the Bibs but while on my Mtcy. the only thing that gets wet is my shoes, hands, and face at 60 mph.

I have just dealt with it though, just a suggestion probably $50 at a Honda dealer probably $150 at the Harley Store.

Very Cute picture there Terry

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We carry Dutch Harbor rain gear in the truck. The reflective tape and bright yellow color help people notice you when you are out in the rain and dark. At truck stops in the rain, these jackets get noticed by people peering into the rain through streaky windshield wipers. Same holds true on the side of the road. We don't use them often, but when we do, we are very pleased to return to the truck alive and dry.

http://www.dutchharborgear.com/pc-96-1-safety-rain-jacket.aspx

We found them at a store in Tachoma, Washington; Whistle Workwear. Police supply stores may have something similar.

Our rain pants came from camping stores. They are nylon and fold up small enough to fit in the rain jacket pocket.