R.I.P John McCain

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why is it shameful? If Trump praised the man who hated Trump do much that he disinvited Trump to his funeral, the press would scream hypocrisy, and if Trump said anything negative about McCain the press would say Trump is mean and evil and racist and misogynistic and xenophobic and orange.

So, he chose not to praise a man he did not get along with, and chose not to speak I'll of time dead. Again, why is it shameful that Trump didn't take the bait about McCain from a reporter during a trade deal announcement?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The flag.... it's about the flag......
Still not understanding the shameful part. Talk to me as you would a child, because I'm not getting it.

What does the US Flag Code say about all this? Maybe if I knew that, I would better understand the shameful part.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand what the code is and that trumpette is folowing code, but look back thru history, the flag was flown half staff until burial.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I understand what the code is and that trumpette is folowing code, but look back thru history, the flag was flown half staff until burial.
At times it was, mostly it wasn't. The President can and has made exceptions to the Flag Code to fly out at half staff until the burial of a member of Congress, but is certainly under no obligation to do so.

Being disinvited to the funeral may have had something to do with it.

In any case, the flag is now again at half staff at the White House.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nothing shameful here and if it was Obama there wouldn't be a peep about it.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Do we know as a fact that the flags were raised back to full-staff to disrespect McCain?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Trump backs down....

Trump retreated when the American Legion stood up for McCain
Trump... backs... down?

From the article... "Trump doesn't like to back down from any fight. Yet he had no choice but to retreat when the leaders of millions of vets came knocking."

The article is just another one of many where some yahoo with a press pass thinks he can read the mind of the president. He didn't ask the president for his comments, he didn't ask the president what he was thinking, he just went there, instead.

It's what I call 'mind reading words' and it gets tiresome. People who weren't even in the room when something happens use words, sentences, paragraphs and even entire articles to tell us what the president was thinking.

According to CNN's Kevin Liptak and Jim Acosta, who know even less about what the president's state of mind is than I do, the president "caved" on the flag because he thought the Monday media coverage was "over the top" and "unfair."

We hear from people who weren't in the room and have never talked with the president how he is outraged over this and pleased with that, how he is lonely and despondent in the White House and hates his job. Some are even able to discern the president is in the early stages of dementia, others know for a fact that the president appears to be fine when in public and on camera, but when the cameras aren't on him he's unhinged and totally bonkers (the exact opposite of, say, John Brennan, who is bonkers on TV but in private he's like the most hinged and sane person since, like, ever).

Wapo, NYT and CNN, among others, have been busted multiple times citing a number of sources with firsthand knowledge about a conversation that equal more people than were in the room when the conversation took place.

Occam's Razor tells us the simplest explanation is usually the right one. The president was criticized for his hypocrisy when the flag was lowered on Saturday and Sunday, then criticized for his callousness on Monday when the flag went back up, and then critized again when the flag went back to half staff Monday afternoon. But the people at the White House in charge of the flag raise, lower and position the flag according to the US Flag Code, or by official presidential proclamation when the flag position deviates from Code.

Despite what the various and sundry yahoos know what the president thinks, no one other than the president knows why the president made the decision to lower the flag until McCain's internment. Might have been the American Legion and other veterans groups, might have been the request from Congressional leadership, might have been at the urging of the evangelical leaders he met with just prior to lowering the flag, might have been at the urging of General Kelly or Sarah Sanders or Melania or Barron or Jared, or it might have been at the urging of the man who vacuums the residence floors in the White House. Or, OMG, this is a tough one, the president might have made the decision all on his own.

In any event, I do think it's interesting that those in the press who decried the politicization of the death of Mollie Tibbetts were first in line to politicize the death of John McCain.

Reactions: muttly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Trump backs down....

Trump retreated when the American Legion stood up for McCain

Despite what the various and sundry yahoos know what the president thinks, no one other than the president knows why the president made the decision to lower the flag until McCain's internment. Might have been the American Legion and other veterans groups, might have been the request from Congressional leadership, might have been at the urging of the evangelical leaders he met with just prior to lowering the flag, might have been at the urging of General Kelly or Sarah Sanders or Melania or Barron or Jared, or it might have been at the urging of the man who vacuums the residence floors in the White House. Or, OMG, this is a tough one, the president might have made the decision all on his own.
IOW, Trump backs down...:pokepoke:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
IOW, Trump backs down...:pokepoke:
From what? A public stance he never took? A decision he never made? Not doing something out of the ordinary?

The flag gets positioned according to Flag Code. The next day people suggest he bring the flag back down until after the internment. He considers it for a while, then says, "OK. Yeah, sure, let's do that."

Reactions: muttly