Questions from a Newbie Cargo Van O/O

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it was 355 total miles paying $559 I'd say you were absolutely on to something. If it was 308 miles paying $355 I'd say it was a good van load. For 559 miles to only pay $355 I'd pass as that's only 63.5cpm. Now if Buffalo is home so it's paid 63.5cpm to go home it would be a different situation but for just an every day run that is too low for me to accept.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ouch that's nuts to run for that price imho no wonder so much gets turned down.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry but actually it's all about profit. If that rate gives you a good profit that's great but honestly too many people out here think it's about miles when that is not actually a true statement.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
The drivers that go thru the revolving door @ our shop say the same thing on their way from returning the van. My boss took everything. He didn't worry about profit. He never has to drive again. He has 30+ vans.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
The problem is these companies have made it about the miles. We were percentage. Those were the days. Like I told my boss, what's the point in getting $1.25+/mi, if u don't get any miles.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only thinking miles has put many an owner/op into bankruptcy. Even with miles a person needs profit is the point I'm trying to make.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
I hear that. But u can't tell me that if u put more & more restrictions on what u will take, pretty soon nothing looks profitable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One of the biggest problems is people driving someone else's van. When you're splitting revenue with an owner, you really do need 500 miles minimum to make any money at all out here.

Reactions: ntimevan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2c ask any experienced person on here and they will tell you to know what it costs you pet mile to run. There is a reason for that.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Not true. I don't have a truck payment, insurance, Qualcomm, maintenance. My truck has consistently grossed $70k the last three years. I'm making money. I don't get 500+miles. I showed you my last run.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The drivers that go thru the revolving door @ our shop say the same thing on their way from returning the van. My boss took everything. He didn't worry about profit. He never has to drive again. He has 30+ vans.

Did your boss do this very recently? Or was it years ago when rates were way up, gas prices were lower, and maintenance was cheaper?

2centz

Rookie Expediter
He's been out of the game a while. He could add more vans @ any time. After expenses last year I made $36k.