Questions from a Newbie Cargo Van O/O

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As soon as you think you know everything about this business ...something will arise and Slap you along side the head ... Learning something new is usually a good thing ....imo

2centz

Rookie Expediter
U know it. Expediting is a fluid situation. Adapt & overcome. The people that have set plans & rules on what they will take and not take don't make it very long. It was said earlier," it's not rocket science." That's true. Wheels aren't turning, ur not earning.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
In a perfect world, u would take the best load of that day. One day, it's a 700mi, next day, 300mi. The thing I tell newbies, no matter who u drive for, when u start out with a company, stay in major metropolitan areas ie Chicago, Atlanta, etc. Just about any company out there gets loads out of those areas. Once u have a little time under ur belt, then u can try smaller cities.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Like I said, restrictions are what bankrupt most drivers. I c it time&time again. The owner I drive for took everything he possibly could. Hardly refused anything. He now has 30+ vans, his own shop w/ mechanic & never has to drive again.

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like I said, restrictions are what bankrupt most drivers. I c it time&time again. The owner I drive for took everything he possibly could. Hardly refused anything. He now has 30+ vans, his own shop w/ mechanic & never has to drive again.
I agree, the best year I ever had was my first in expedite when I took everything they were throwing at me

2centz

Rookie Expediter
The good thing about working for an owner w/ that many vans, u can compare earnings to running styles. I'm one of his top earners every year. Even beating most of our teams. I got tired of fighting the system. 3+ yrs. W/ a 90%+ acceptance rate.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Another good thing about having a high acceptance rate is a little more consistent. I don't have a lot of up and down wks. When it all came down to earnings, the next van behind me was close. He had around 45% acceptance. His profit margin might have been a little higher, but he was doing a lot more dh on his own than I did. It was a wash.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
We had a driver that refused over 800+ loads last year. He's sitting @ 5%. He's not doing real well. He's a home run hitter. 1000+ or nothing at all.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Now the company I work for, they offer the load to anyone that can make the p/u time. The next on the list gets the run. So a guy that's 500mi away can get the load over the guy sitting 10mi away as long as he can make p/u time.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
The company is so hard up for drivers they keep him. It used to be the bottom 50 were cut every year. Not any more.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
If they cannot cover it, they cancel it w/ the customer. Most of our drivers want the premium of premium, not that that is bad. What they don't understand is that if u don't take all their runs, good & bad, u lose all.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
I'd say about 50/50 maybe 60/40 under 300mi. This is the run I just did. Was in Richmond, Va. Got load p/u on Friday in Fleetwood, Pa. 251mi dh. Deliver Buffalo,Ny Monday morning 308mi loaded. Total miles 559 paid $355.