Questions from a Newbie Cargo Van O/O

2centz

Rookie Expediter
U can believe what u want. I've seen those guys that say no dh over 50mi. It has to pay @ least 95cpm. It's gotta take me to a good place. No weekends. And so on. Been taking everything (almost) for 3+ years. Still here.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Wait.....was that $ 355.. to You after the 60/40 split or before...
That was to the truck. Paid $261.8 (that's 85cpm boss gets 40% of this) fsc57.75 (100%mine) 37.65dh (100% mine) gross to me $247.24 $149.50 expenses( tolls fuel) net $97.74

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
U can believe what u want. I've seen those guys that say no dh over 50mi. It has to pay @ least 95cpm. It's gotta take me to a good place. No weekends. And so on. Been taking everything (almost) for 3+ years. Still here.

Huh, it's a fact profit matters and I have to believe if you owned your own van you would understand that statement better. Been out here much longer than 3 years and nutty enough to still be here, lol

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hear that. But u can't tell me that if u put more & more restrictions on what u will take, pretty soon nothing looks profitable.

Profit is a line in the sand, a set dollar amount based on expenses. It isn't the same for everyone but it doesn't change much for any specific individual either unless they pay off a vehicle loan or something similar. When I was running I put restrictions such as no NYC without a significant bonus, significant. They never came up with it so I never went to NYC. I put a few other restrictions at times, depending on my mood. They never involved profit though, other than I had my minimum number I wouldn't run anything below unless I was going home and it was going there as well.

Reactions: 2centz

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Only been expediting since October1999. Been w/ Custom Critical since 4/07 same owner. Win 4-star every year since I've been w / them. Made more money back in the day. Still make money.

Reactions: xiggi

2centz

Rookie Expediter
W/ an owner, I start out @ 0 every week. The boss starts in the negative. My boss is my expensive leasing agent.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
I would do it the same if I owned my own van. In fact, the way it's going right now. May get my own van sooner than later. Have my rainy day saved. It's sprinkling.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
The boss is one of the best I've EVER worked for. That's what keeps me from going independent. About done working for companies. Tired of waiting for a call. Independent, if I'm not loaded, my fault.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
Companies r not concerned about me. And I don't expect them to be. I'll say one thing, working for a small mom&pop, seemed to work a lot better for me. I haven't given up yet. I believe in loyalty. Just wish it was a two way street.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
These companies complain about having or keeping quality drivers, but do nothing about it. Look at this industry. The quality driver is a dying breed. My boss recognizes this. That's y I'm loyal to him.

Last edited:

2centz

Rookie Expediter
U don't c a lot of 20 somethings out here to take our place. It's not there. The drivers coming up want to have a life. Very difficult when ur on call & u never know where u r going to be tomorrow. I'm fine w/ that. I like the freedom. That's what I signed up for. I wouldn't do another job.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
The boss and I are happy & dealing w/ the current situation. Still w/ FedEx. Haven't given up on them, yet. I believe in loyalty, even if it's not a two way street.

Reactions: ntimevan

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The boss and I are happy & dealing w/ the current situation. Still w/ FedEx. Haven't given up on them, yet. I believe in loyalty, even if it's not a two way street.

Sounds like it's working out just fine then.

2centz

Rookie Expediter
That's what counts. All companies have drawbacks and benefits. It's what you are willing to deal with.