Question?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well if I were some great big CEO (I'm a little CEO) and over the last 4 yrs everything our company did was taxed and or some other government buttn'in, I believe I would be sittin' round drinking mytyes waiting on Tuesday the 6th to see what our next move is. Considering the US corporations have a Trillion dollars in liquid cash available to spend right now, when they do make up their minds it's going to be truckings paradise. That is if they can find the drivers. I predict a robust recovery for the Expedite industry as well, at least for the next 3 yrs. But if O'B gets back in I'm going to Costa Rica.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Obama AND the Congress. It is due to poor tax policy and inconsistent tax rates.

The question was "Based on this artical [sic]" and the article didn't say a word about Obama or Congress. Based on the 4 minute gap between question & reply, I think it's safe to assume that you didn't read the article - just jumped in to provide the same comment as 1000000 times before.
Of course corporate management says it's due to taxes, but that's not hurting their profits, so I'm a wee bit sceptical about their self serving response.
The article provides an explanation that makes more sense, IMO.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The question was "Based on this artical [sic]" and the article didn't say a word about Obama or Congress. Based on the 4 minute gap between question & reply, I think it's safe to assume that you didn't read the article - just jumped in to provide the same comment as 1000000 times before.
Of course corporate management says it's due to taxes, but that's not hurting their profits, so I'm a wee bit sceptical about their self serving response.
The article provides an explanation that makes more sense, IMO.

Yes, I read the Huff article. Found it to be incomplete, slanted and not in line with anything that I have read of late.

Many industries I keep track of have put shut down/scale down plans into place in case Obama is reelected and current regulation and tax trends continue.

The US, if I remember correctly, has the highest corporate income tax in the WORLD and Obama, if he has a majority again, WILL raise that higher.

Companies are taking profits and sitting on them, waiting to see the outcome. NO company in their right mind would expand under a second Obama term.

That article also did NOT take into account the many 'stealth' taxes that are going to be coming on line, under Obama Care, that are aimed a small to mid sized businesses that will likely either put them out of business or cause them to cut back on hours or numbers of employees.

Never read much from Huff but what I have read leads me to believe that they are rather left wing leaning and seem to be a bit anti-business. Not saying they are, I just get that impression.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why should companies hire if they do not have an increased demand for a product, that makes no sense. Demand almost always leads production unless it is some new type of product or demand can be seen on the horizon.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it is just basic uncertainty at this point. Just about every interview with a business cites that. Everything from taxes, regulations,global uncertainty, and Obamacare.
With no budget deal from Congress, projected taxes are all over the place.
It would be kind of hard at this point to say, Gee it must be something else.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Why should companies hire if they do not have an increased demand for a product, that makes no sense. Demand almost always leads production unless it is some new type of product or demand can be seen on the horizon.

Because that makes too much sense? Lol

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The US corporate income tax is 39.2%, the HIGHEST in the industrial world. Why would ANY business wish to expand here? Couple that with crippling regulations, not being passed by congress, but being written by regulatory agencies that have little oversight, AND short term thinking and it is a disaster in the making.

We need a MUCH lower rate, more in the 15% range and fix that rate for 35 years. Regulatory agencies need to have their power stripped and Congress needs to start doing that job. Congress also needs to pass a budget AND get spending under control. Till ALL of the above happens, business will remain weak.

Good article here:

World's Highest Corporate Tax Rate Hurts U.S. Economically - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
One reason some are hiring now is they are expecting a change along with the fact it takes the average manufacturer 6 mos to a yr to gear up for expansions and production levels. Most manufacturers and buyers are now working on purchasing for Christmas "13" such as WalMart. It doesn't happen overnight like someone here thinks. :rolleyes:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hiring seems to be basically stagnent except for part time and government. There could be a upturn in construction if housing sales don't slow again.

I will say driving past midland yesterday it looked to be booming from the oil industry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Don't fall for the class warfare/Marxist stuff. Look where the blame needs to be placed. Government. The same government that over taxes most everyone writes the loopholes and put out sweetheart deals for others to avoid taxes. The government is corrupt. They are the cause. Fix the cause.

Just think about all the bogus regulations and 'stealth taxes' we, as truckers, are paying to feed that corruption. It will never get better until we start pointing the finger at the group responsible, congress and the president. Who ever they are this week.

Every time we vote for a Republican or a Democrat we enable them to continue the fraud and corruption. In the end, it is OUR fault. WE have allowed it to continue. Keep voting them in and it WILL continue.

Last edited: