question

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Just out of curiousity, a lot of Sprinter owners don't have the sleepers correct? If not, is it some kind of a bed that pulls down? I'm guessing the reason is so that you can carry 3 pallets instead of 2. If that's the case, what do you do if you have 3 pallets, can't pull your bed down, and you have a load that will require you or your codriver to sleep during the duration of the load? I always look at the Sprinters when they go by and thought of that the other day.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A lot of the Sprinters have a bunk that Mounts to the Wall and folds Down.when Needed,I've seen them where where if the were Folded up they still had enough room so One could lay down. If the Mind can Think it A Van Expediter can Build it. myself My bunk a twin size bed was mounted to the wall and folded down. and if I was under a load I didn't stop for sleep.or if I needed a nap I reclined the seat.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I have a folding bed I bought at Walmart. When I have room for it, I just leave it set up. I am able to take every personal thing I have with me and put it in the front when I need the area for cargo.

I have had several loads that took every inch of space I have in the back. I can put 4 48x40 pallets in the back (sideways).

Have even hauled six one time with double stacking.

Right now waiting for a load, it looks like a mini apt back here. I can clear it all for cargo in about five minutes.

When I am fully loaded, I take a nap in the seat if I need to and hurry to get unloaded so I can stretch out.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
When I am fully loaded, I take a nap in the seat if I need to and hurry to get unloaded so I can stretch out.

Don't forget our eyes aren't so good for some of us on this site.. are those intestines in your pictures? :eek:

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Don't forget our eyes aren't so good for some of us on this site.. are those intestines in your pictures? :eek:

Ok, I think I will go change the picture now. It is the back of my van with a pallet puller and a tow strap. :D

I have to wear reading glasses when I look at my computer, and still can not make out some of the pics on here.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have an '07, 170" wb extended. I measured 12' from the back door and built a plywood wall reinforced by 2x4s. That left me about 40" from the front of that wall to the front seats. I found a mattress that's 24" wide and fits lengthwise along that wall. I made a frame for the mattress out of the plywood that was leftover after making the bulkhead. That leaves me about 16-18" from the edge of the bed to the front seats, just enough room to stand up and get dressed. That still leaves me exactly enough room for 3 skids but I still have a permanent space for a sleeper. Having that space set aside was important for me. I like knowing that I always have space to sleep no matter what.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have an '07, 170" wb extended. I measured 12' from the back door and built a plywood wall reinforced by 2x4s. That left me about 40" from the front of that wall to the front seats. I found a mattress that's 24" wide and fits lengthwise along that wall. I made a frame for the mattress out of the plywood that was leftover after making the bulkhead. That leaves me about 16-18" from the edge of the bed to the front seats, just enough room to stand up and get dressed. That still leaves me exactly enough room for 3 skids but I still have a permanent space for a sleeper. Having that space set aside was important for me. I like knowing that I always have space to sleep no matter what.

Not to change the subject, but is your 170" WB over 10k GVW?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like Charles, a permanent bunk with a place to sleep while loaded was important for me. I spent far too many a night in a short wheelbase E-350 with two skids pushed up against the back of the seat and no place to sleep. Getting sleep, quality sleep, and enough of it, is paramount out here. It affects everything you do, from being able to drive safely to being comfortable enough to actually want to stay out here. If you're not comfortable out here in the van you won't want to spend any time in it. You'll want to go home every weekend or get motels here and there, both of which just suck the life out of your revenue.

I measured exactly 108 inches from the inside rear door to the bunk. The bunk is a permanent bunk, it ain't movin', and has a lid that raises for storage underneath. The bunk is 30 inches wide and I have another 30 or so between the front of the bunk and the rear of the seats. Between the bunk and the driver's seat is a Microfridge (fridge/freezer/microwave) with a printer/scanner on top.

The 108" in back gives me enough room to haul two oversize skids, and to get in front of the skids to secure the freight. The ability to haul 3 skids and no place to sleep was outweighed by the ability to sleep while loaded with two skids. The number of times I've missed out on a 3-skid load and instead got no load at all, versus getting a 1 or 2 skid load, is negligible, and certainly not enough to give up sleep for.

I do have shelves in the back along the side walls for storage, but other than that the rear of the van is all about freight and the front of the van is all about comfort. When the rear doors open the shipper does not see a bunch of crap strewn all over the place that has to be moved around in order to accommodate his freight. He sees nothing but professionalism. And he can feel confident that his freight will be taken care of.

Cargo Area:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/kslaughter_01/Sprinter Pics Small/IMG_0137.jpg

Living Room:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/kslaughter_01/Sprinter Pics Small/IMG_0185.jpg

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
WOW Turtle that's a great set up! I've never seen the inside of a expediter van so I wondered how it might be set up.