Question?\opinion

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
With a Cargo Van\Sprinter in a theoretical 21 day month with 4500 paid miles. What is the dead head average? I'm aware it can change drasticly for those who stay put as to those who chose to move. I'm doing an Eagle Cost Calcuator & useing 10% of total. All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
10% is low and very few people achieve it IMHO. If your looking at a budget or considering costs your better to figure high. 30 - 40% is not uncommon at all and some people do even worse than that. The more short loads your carrier does the higher your deadhead will probably average.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup. A max of 30% is the number to shoot for, and between 20%-30% is the number to be expected in cargo van expediting. That would include deadhead to the pickups, and well as deadhead after the delivery to go to a place to wait for another load. If you are consistently above 30%, then you are making unwise relocation decisions to chase down freight, or are taking unprofitable loads to begin with. If it's consistently below 20%, then you are either unbelievably lucky, or you are less willing to relocate to get a load.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
10% is [for me, at least] the 'impossible dream'. Last week, I did 1850 load miles, with 250 DH, a little better than the 15% I try for - some weeks, it's higher, but rarely lower.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ooops - didn't see that it only applies to CVs - you guys get much better fuel mileage, lol.:)