Question for Musician Expediters

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know why it took ten years in the business for this question to come to mind. I've looked at logs thousands of times. For expediters who are musically inclined, has it ever occurred to you to view your logs as music?

They could be transposed, could they not? There are four lines that look a bit like a music staff. An hour can be a whole note, half hour a half note and a quarter a quarter note. What might a drivers log sound like if put to music in this fashion?

With just four notes in the scale to play the tune would be basic, but the rhythem might be interesting. Yes?

Over the road log music might get boring fairly quickly. Local beer truck delivery drivers would rock!

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met another musician looking to get into expediting and he was asking me if he thought he could fit a tour in between loads... I didn't want to disappoint him but you pretty much have to do one or the other.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dont know for sure but I will have my daughter look at our logs and see if she can put them to music on the piano or her keyboard.

Would be interesting.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I don't know why it took ten years in the business for this question to come to mind. I've looked at logs thousands of times. For expediters who are musically inclined, has it ever occurred to you to view your logs as music?

They could be transposed, could they not? There are four lines that look a bit like a music staff. An hour can be a whole note, half hour a half note and a quarter a quarter note. What might a drivers log sound like if put to music in this fashion?

With just four notes in the scale to play the tune would be basic, but the rhythem might be interesting. Yes?

Over the road log music might get boring fairly quickly. Local beer truck delivery drivers would rock!

Never thought of it that way but hmmmmm....since I really have nothing better to do!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got two degrees in music, and never once have I considered viewing logs as music, or musical notation. :D

Incidentally, to transpose is to change the relative position, order, or sequence of something. In music it is playing the notes in a different key. To convert driver logs into musical notation would be translating the form and condition of logs into musical notation, or converting the logs into something with different properties and form.

I'm afraid that driver logs converted into music would be rather uninspiring music, rigid, structured, industrial robotic and mechanical, not very creative. Just like the logs themselves. :D

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I know 2 musicians that can do it, one is deceased ( Jerry Reed ) and just maybe,,Jimmy Buffet who is brilliant at writing music. Basically all you need is G7, G,C, D, C7, F, throw n D7 on the guitar and your good to go, unless your doing Peter,Paul,and Mary and then it can get complicated. In another lifetime ago I was playing folk-songs with some neighborhood guys. Every now and then I get out the guitar and just play chords and such, when my fingers will cooperate...................its been a long time since the days of Tom Dooley. I'm ooooooooooooooooooooooold..

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm afraid that driver logs converted into music would be rather uninspiring music, rigid, structured, industrial robotic and mechanical, not very creative. Just like the logs themselves. :D

Sounds like it would be techno. Might translate well to the kazoo.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know why it took ten years in the business for this question to come to mind. I've looked at logs thousands of times.

I was on the road far too long also, Phil.

Things got so bad near the end each time I glanced at my log book I began to hear loud, blaring noises similiar to those Richard Dreyfuss and the scientists experienced when trying to communicate with the aliens in the movie "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind". Loud, yet very soothing.

The last time it happened I woke up in the diner of a truck stop near Gillette, Wyoming with a large plate of mashed potatoes in front of me. The manager threw me out when I began sculpting it to look like the Devil's Tower. That's when I knew it was time to get off the road...

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I'm not one to give up so easily. Translating hours of service logs into music is intriguing. Yes, a single day's log might not produce much but it might be interesting to see what happens when you play a few days in a row or use two instruments to play two days at the same time. This would not be an activity to produce anything meaningful. It would be an experiment to see what, if anything, happens.

My degree is in philosophy, not music. Finding a new way to reflect or mediate on the passage of time and the change of one's status is intriguing.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The music machine in the video was built by students from Fachhochschule Dusseldorf and Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg in partnership with Daimler AG. The "instrument" is made entirely of production Sprinter parts. 2 years ago the student team added some diesel exhaust fluid tanks and other emissions parts found on Sprinters sold in the North American market, silencing the music machine.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Reviving a two month old thread, specifically about the music machine mentioned above.

Had a bunch of family in town for Mother's Day and we started talking about the music machine shown in the vid, wanting to show it to our mother. So, we went looking online for it and found some interesting info.

Many may have suspected (I sure didn't when first viewing the vid) but it's an animation, and has been circulating the net in a variety of forms with various claims. More about that, here:

Pipe Dream

What's more incredible, though, is that Intel was inspired enough by Animusic's talented animation that they created the real thing, which can be seen here:

The Robotic Musicians known as: Intel's Industrial Control in Concert - YouTube

...and more about the real life music machine here: Robotic Orchestra Hits Rights Notes for Industrial Control

Pretty impressive.

Last edited: