question about randoms

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well yes ours was evertime there was a slight disagreement with a dispatcher hubby got called for one. And hotfr8 I understand the DOT regs or whatever but there is no way you can tell me 15 in one was randomly picked by a computer? NOT

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I have been called by Panther twice within a 1 month period. The first time I was sitting in Indianapolis and they called and the second time I was in Effingham, Ill. Those were (so far) the only 2 times I've ever had to go and I wasn't charged.:cool:

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
10 times in two years

I was the butt of a lot of jokes, having long hair and all,but,since i had to pay for them i started to get a little irritated. I was told our company had a software program that randomly generated a list of drivers to be checked. I also found out that several of the same drivers were being selected randomly, continuously, while others were going for years without being selected. I suggested a possible glitch in the program, they said "no way". I left the company for almost a year and I've been back now for almost a year and I've been randomed once. Why? Who knows?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thought I would repeat this story in a Condensed version about what happened to me about 2 years ago. I REFUSED to take a drug and Alcohol test.

I made a delivery to a very irate customer at 0200 on Saturday morning to a cruise ship terminal in Ft Laudrdale FL. The shipment was ovens destined for a ship. The customer was extremely poed and had been waiting for this freight since Wednesday and Custom Critical and me who rescued the shipment from FDX Freight were given all of the blame.

He refused to sign the freight bill and took his copy and threw it away with a "I will get you bast----. I left and about 1 hour later had a call from the 3rd shift supervisor stating this this guy had called up and said I was stoned out of my mind. She said :We want you to turn around and go back to Miami and take a drug test asap. I refused and said"no I am not doing it based on a poed consignee complaint".

About 30 minutes later I heard from a safety person that they must have woke up and the same rsponse from them and me.

Well Monday AM I received a call from Mich---T in safety and we reviewed the whole incident and she said"It is very serious to us that you refused the test". My answer was this " There are 4 reasons for a driver to take a drug test.

1 Pre Employment
2 Post Accident
3 Totally random where your name gets selected
4 Reasonable suspicion based on a QUALIFIED law enforcement official.

I went on to say that a irate customer is not a qualified anything and can make a complaint but cannot dictate that in his opinion a driver is stoned or drunk.

Well they went back and listened to all of the recordings that had gone back and forth over this shipment plus my own Q/Comm messages about this customer and essentially came back and said I was right in my refusal. Just remember those 4 reasons to take a test random or other wise.

During my 20 years with Roberts and FDXCC I had many long periods without a test and also would get flagged several times in a 12 month period,so in my opinion it is totally random. I cannot see a dispatcher having that kind of power or clout to order up a random on a individual.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Totally agree on the 4 reasons, but I think "qualified" can apply to other than law enforcement, no? (To an irate customer? NFW!)

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
no...not picking. It's random by SS#. In the almost 4 years I was on...I was tested 2x. At orientation, and after a crash. My wife was tested 3 times in as many months just 6 months after her initial test.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I wasn't actually serious about thinking that they pick on me...I was just joking about what it can feel like when you're one of the ones who gets picked all the time. Just at the time seems like it's always when you've been running really good and it ends your lucky streak, or haven't had a shower yet, or are already 30 miles past where they want you to go. I never complain to anyone when I'm asked to do one, and always act professionally about it. I completely understand that it's a regulation, and follow what I'm supposed to do. I was just wondering if other people got picked as often as we have been.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I once had a co-driver picked 5 times in one year,myself I've been picked once or twice in the past.I had a team work for me that I susspected of useing,drugs,but couldnt get safety to do anything,the said law says they have to be picked randomly

Texas7

Seasoned Expediter
I had 5 during 2007. My highest number was 2005 during which I had 8. I either get the drug test or the drug and alcohol test combo. Never failed any of them. At least my company doesn't charge us for them now, they did once long ago until the drivers got together and started complaining. I understand that the random names are selected by the insurance company and not the trucking company. It is suspossed to be done by computer by Social security number. At least that's what I was told by my Company Safety man. No big deal either way.
Larry

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
One in two years.

During my previous career we were also required to submit to random tests. They would put the sealed package on your desk at the start of day alerting you that you were the chosen one for the day.

On several occasions some of us would place varies otc pills, empty liquor bottles, beer cans and cigarettes made to look like joints on top of the package.

Boys will be boys.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe our lawmakers should have randoms. They have the power to kill WAY more than all the trucks on the road combined. They have the power to control your every move if they chose to. They should be held to even a HIGHER standard than anyone. Anyone think that Teddy or any of those goobers in Washington could pass a random? And they have the gaul to check on me. Geez, the nerve of them. Layoutshooter

60MPH

Expert Expediter
When I was with Panther I never had one and that was 5 1/2 years. When I started with Tri-State back in Dec. 06 I had one when I signed on of course, then the first week of Jan-07 they called me for one then the first week of march they called me for another. None since then, I guess I was just the lucky one back then and at 45.00 a pop it was starting to annoy me.:)

60MPH

Expert Expediter
no tri-state deducts it from your settlement. They call it a owner expense and are not willing to pay for it:mad:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
BAH! If Tri-state is requiring it, then they should pay for it. I've never heard of a contractor paying for a random. But then again, I've heard of a lot. So it doesn't surprise me. Gotta love those hidden fees. :(

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Just a correction for above post it's 42.00 not 45.00 but yes tri-state pays for it up front then they take it out of your settlement, maybe if someone with tri-state has had on recently, they will correct me if I am wrong about the cost. Sometimes I am wrong that's why I am only 99.97% perfect:p and not 100%.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Randoms are a part of our industry, but there are rules for all. Correct me if i am wrong, but unless your carrier states in the lease or somewhere else in paperwork they give you the D O T only requires the carriers to random a certain % every quarter. My understanding is the D O T uses info from the previous quarters pass fail rate to establish the % that must be tested the next quarter. As previously stated that should be only once every quarter unless or possibly 4 times a year unless there are reasons for more testing. Options for more testing were touched upon in previous responses to this thread and the one i pointed out about special company policies and previous notification thereof. Someone please respond if i am misinformed.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Dynamite 1;

I'm sure the carrier you leased onto provided a copy of the "Green Safety Regs Handbook" (see 49CFR, Part 382). This is the material that contains the actual DOT Regulations. Along with that book, you most likely received a "Contractor or Driver" Manual from that carrier. The Contractor Manual most likely states that the carrier has adopted the DOT regs as a "company policy".

As far as when randoms are conducted - the regulations do NOT stipulate when the randoms are conducted. In fact the regs even speak about Motor Carriers conducting daily, weekly, monthly quarterly and so on. It makes sense to conduct radoms more frequently if you are a large carier having thousands of drivers. Smaller carriers will do less frequently.

You are correct that the DOT reviews the testing rates, but only in previous years. At the beginning of each year, the DOT does their own "random selection" of carriers to submit Annual Staistical Reports of their company testing results - the of tests taken, how many were pre-employment, how many randoms, how many post-accident... It also asks for the number of positives in each category. This is where they obtain information that would enable them to change the required testing rates. The rates have NOT changed since the regs were implemented in 1995.

I sincerely hope this helps you better understand the required testing.

P.S. BernieH48 - I too find it hard to believe your husband was selected randomly for 15 tests in one year, though it could happen. With luck like that perhaps he should invest in some lottery tickets!

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter