question about my co driver taking medications

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I was wondering is there any rule about someone taking antidepressant pills and operating a commercial vehicle.He was just perscribed some and dont want to get him in trouble or myself.We are running a class D straight struck.Thanks

barney

Expert Expediter
One major rule is to keep your big mouth shut. There are no laws about it but the carriers don't like it much. Do your co-driver and you a favor and drop it NOW.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Relax I need to find out and ask because i own the truck so its called covering my #####....I think you should learn how to word your comments a little better....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would be concerned from a liability standpoint as well. I'd check out the FMCSA book that is in your truck to see what it may say.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If it's minor anti-depressants, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Something as extreme as lithium would be a disqualifier, however. As there are so many meds on the board for depression, I would check with someone who does DOT physicals.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have to say something, for the second half of my career with big pharma, I worked with Antidepressants in both clinical phase 3 and safety studies, we had to learn everything about them from the 'company' point of view - so the subject and knowledge is dear to me.

I don’t think that there is a restriction on the types of Antidepressants while operating a truck. I found nothing in the FMCSA regs and assume that the FMCSA allows the used as prescribed. As for a company, I know in my contractor hiring duties, I had no way to use the fact that someone was using this type of medication to stop them from working for the company and as matter of fact I wasn’t allowed to ask by federal law – medical privacy rights and such. I know that companies can’t ask about a lot of things, even as a contractor with exceptions of prescription narcotics because of the impairment issue.

But with that said here are my educated concerns;

Taking a couple types of Antidepressants there are concerns over sleep regulation and in some cases the Antidepressants losses it effectiveness as a mood swing suppressor over time. The sleep issue is really a problem in this profession, many people don't have the problem but the ones who do, it is h**l on them. These are in the studies that ARE NOT published.

Most Antidepressants are life time drugs contrary to what the drug companies tell you. They are as bad as pain killers and many people become addicted to the drug to the point of serious withdrawal symptoms not unlike heroin - this came out in one of the studies.

Another big issue is going from one drug to another for example going form Paxil to Zoloft or vice versa. These drugs are different compounds and need at least 4 to 8 weeks to wind down before changing prescriptions. Doctors don’t watch patients close enough to see changes when prescriptions are change and really don't care. Also doctors are like many mechanics, they try different drugs (parts in a mechanics case) to find out what works (or fixes the problem) instead of using their skills and interact with the patient (car) to find out what really is the problem. Most visits with doctors are less than 15 minutes and in that time the doctor has a list of things to do - finding out what is wrong is not always on that list.

I am very critical about these drugs and doctors. I’ve experienced my own doctor insisting I take statins twice the normal dose to control cholesterol but almost had a fight with him trying to tell him he can’t tell me to do something that is not approved and that he needs to learn about the drug first before prescribing them. With Antidepressants, the first thing is that these are psychiatric drugs and should by all accounts not be prescribing by a family doctor but a psychiatrist. (Sounds harsh but I know some 12 year olds that were put on Zoloft by their family doctor when they needed to be in therapy –the parents wanted to find a way to have a quick solution without caring about what happens to their kids.) The dumb doctors who prescribe these drugs don’t have a clue about side effects, long term effects or what signs should be indicators for depression. They either are told by non- medical people (drug reps) or go to a seminar paid for by the drug companies to learn about the drugs, how to prescribe them and who to prescribe them to. In addition there are no real studies with children taking place with the use of these drugs as there were with the studies to submit the NDA (New Drug Application).

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Well i just want to thank everyone for there answers well all most everyone...Anyways i had thought there was some rules about them but maybe im just being to carefull.I will talk to the clinic and see what they say

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's like asking "which carrier is best?" The answer to your question depends on the specific medication involved. Like painkillers, it's a large group, and there's a bit of difference between Tylenol & OxyContin....
In your shoes, I'd research the specific antidepressant being used, so I'd know what the possibilities are. As Greg said, though - doctors tend to use a trial & error approach, and sometimes combine medications, and individuals react individually to medications, so the bottom line has to be your own observation of your codriver's behavior. As always, trust what you can see for yourself.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
As a former nursing student the best advise I could give is ask the doctor about any possible side effects. Plus sometimes anti-depressants have negative side effects at first but tend to go away after extended use, like paxil. Until your co-driver knows how he is going to be affected by the meds maybe he shouldn't drive, for your safety as well as everyone else out on the road. About a week should do it.

Drive Safe

P.S. I didn't become a nurse because of a bad experience in a nursing home---don't ask.

barney

Expert Expediter
You are exactly right, I should NOT have used the language that I did and I truly appologize. I will never again post a comment while I am half asleep. That being said, Here is where it came from. I was on antidepressants when I 1st started driving. The truck owners didn't know how to handle it and I was not even allowed to tell my co-driver about the pills. I was told that if the carrier ever were to find out I would be terminated on the spot and not even be allowed to finish the run. Too bad some people have to screw things up for everybody. To make a long story short, I am trying to get off the pills and have a bit of a temper problem because of it. I will, however get off of the meds and return to driving ASAP.
There is a stigma connected with mental illness and sometimes it can be really rough. Please don't let anyone know who your co-driver is and everything will be ok.
Again, sorry about my smart mouthed remark.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
You can pretty well rest assured that your Doctor knows you are a CDL holder. If a doctor prescribed it even if he did not know, and I find that doubtfull cause he is gona ask or know what you do for a living, than it would be the Doctors liability not yours.

Example, heart medication will disqualify you from having a CDL in most cases or restrict you. The doctor is under direction to contact the DMV. I would bet your safe and have nothing to be concerened over.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>You can pretty well rest assured that your Doctor knows you
>are a CDL holder. If a doctor prescribed it even if he did
>not know, and I find that doubtfull cause he is gona ask or
>know what you do for a living, than it would be the Doctors
>liability not yours.

Broom,

The doctor does not have to do any due diligence on the matter of prescribing medication in regards of your employment, it is stricly on you to inform him about your profession, what restrictions you could be under and what is acceptable to take. Many doctors have no clue what a CDL is let alone what to ask. The laws that govern malpractice are clear about this and because you are considered a profession, it is not his problem when you walk in the door. On the other hand if he presecribes medication that totaly messes you up for the rest of your life, he can (and many do) point the finger at the pharma companies.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Greg hate to tell you your wrong but your WRONG. Go to any Doctors office and whats the first or second thing you must show other than a Insurance Card?

ANSWER DRIVERS LISCENSE what does it say on that CDL

Thats how they know, and it is there job to know and also to ASK which every doctor I have ever visited since entering this business has asked me what I do for a living or it has come up on conversation, as most medical problems we have are a DIRECT RESULT OF WHAT WE DO.. Swollen feet= sitting for extended periods why? Cause we drive a truck for a living the list goes on and on.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Broom,

I still disagree but I see you point and know what you are saying.

I worked with a lot of offices before I worked at the pharma company. My job was among a lot of other things was to teach people how to use software for intake of demographics when a patient checks in or how to put in all the essential patients demographics. Most of the dummies behind the counter don’t have a clue what a CDL is (not all are by the way some are very smart but they still don’t have a clue what a CDL is), where to look on the license and even indicate on the encounter form for the doc when he checks off the little boxes to bill you.

I back this up with what my wife does; she checks eligibility with insurance companies for a medical billing company and has to train some of the doctor office staff on how to fill out encounter forms and to put the correct info in the system so she does not have 6000 cases a week to verify. She does have 3000 a week average and it is a pain in the a** but no one in the entire health system checks to see if the license say CDL on it - all they care about is name and address to match insurance cards.

Now you did mention when you talk to the doctor well there are standard routine questions that they normally ask. In the last 18 months I have seen 6 different doctors at the same office. Out of those 6, I have been asked twice what I do, the other 4 times I offered the information but 2 of those doctors were not interested. Even though I was there for work specific reasons (DOT, follow up to DOT, etc..) this didn’t surprise me because I know what they do to get the patient through the office.

Also I just looked at my license; it does not say CDL anywhere on it – just C and X which means nothing to most people.

Oh by the way, I haven’t given my license to anyone in a doctor’s office in years.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, look at your license again. Right under the picture of The Bridge it says Commercial Driver License.

I'm currently in the market for a new doctor as mine moved back to New Zealand. He's a great guy and I was really disappointed. One of the first questions is usually "what do you do for a living" and followed up with lots of personal habit type of questions. I have'nt found one I like yet. I guess I was kind of spoiled. Dr. King truly treated you as an equal, no "I'm THE Doctor" kind of arrogance. I'm sure I'll find one eventually.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Greg, look at your license again. Right under the picture of
>The Bridge it says Commercial Driver License.

Yep I stand corrected, I found that today. It would help if I didn't hold the thing with my thumb on the bridge. I appoligize Broom for that mistake. So anyway I went to the docs today and asked the girl behind the counter if it mattered that I a commerical drivers license or not and she said "what is a commercial drivers license?"

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Sorry to jump into this a little late, but this subject is right up my alley so to say. Having been a nurse for over 15 years and a paramedic for 9, I believe I can wade in here. :) The long and the short of the answer is this, The driver must not operate a vehicle in an non-impaired manner. Wheather that is alcohol,illegal drugs or prescribed drugs, it does not matter. If your codriver takes the medication and has the effect of being drowsy, inattentive or lethargic. They have the morale decision to make and hence the legal one also. The first thing the attorneys will ask your codriver is, how did the medication make you feel. Case in point. I take Benicar 40 mg P.O. Q.D. or once a day. Now this drug does not affect me by making me tired lethargic or inattentive. But what it will do is make my stomach roll if I do not eat prior to taking it. So, if I drive on this medication and I have an upset stomach (Major) that cause me to be less than 100 percent, I am liable. Every medicationout there affect each of us differently. How many times have you been offered asprin or tylenol for a headache and took one over the other? Why because one works for you better than the other. Give me an asprin and nothing, Tylenol on the other hand relieve my headache in 5 minutes it seems. So, monitor your co-driver, if they are symptomatic, then do not allow them to drive. If no symptoms and they are honest about it, then drive on drivers! :+

MDB1

Expert Expediter
Sawbones said, "The driver must not operate a vehicle in an non-impaired manner."

What's up with that? I hope I am ALWAYS operating my vehicle in a "non-impaired" manner.

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Well obviously I got a little too froggy with my keyboard. :p Thanks for pointing out that error. I did mean to say that the driver should not be impaired when driving any vehicle. I sure hope that I did not any other critical mistakes.