QC Time Out

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone know how to adjust the time out on a QC?

I'm starting to have dead battery after a day or so without starting the engine. My battery is about a year old or less. It stays on for hours.....3 hours so far with engine off and it's still on.

Special K

Expert Expediter
Don't know about E-1, but at FedEx we just call the company, and someone waves a magic wand and changes it to whatever we ask for.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, whoever administers the QC's at your carrier can send it a profile to time out whenever you want it to.

Standard profile is for the QC to go into "quiet" status mode as soon as the ignition is turned off (when the ignition is on or the QC is in normal mode, Status is "good). In "good" mode it'll draw up to 3 amps. In "quiet" mode it's about half an amp. After 1-3 hours of "quiet" mode it'll go to sleep, and then wake up every 3 hours for about 5 minutes to check for messages, then go back to sleep. After 24 hours it will stay asleep for 6-8 hours before checking for messages.

Some people hook the QC to their house bank, so there's no ignition trigger, and they have an "always-on" profile sent to the unit.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Done! was at 280 min. Off then on for another 280 min. every two hours I think he said....Off now at .45 min. Check messages after 6 hours for 120 min. then off after 45 min.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
eddie i was having the same thing happen even after it being reset to the lowest time so i wired it up to my house bank and installed a switch to shut it off.....works for me:D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
eddie i was having the same thing happen even after it being reset to the lowest time so i wired it up to my house bank and installed a switch to shut it off.....works for me:D

Don't wanna do that...defeats the house bank. Got new batteiers for the house bank today, going to get new replacement for van Friday....been charging, strill wont start.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
yea my sprinter had a agm for a starter and didn't just kill it but ate the cells lol lock stock and charge think i heard it burp too:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why even bother to have the thing check messages when it is in a sleep mode?

I had mine set to shut down after 30 minutes and not to go back on until a 'key on' event (turning the ignition on). If the carrier or an agent wants to get a hold of me, I have a cell phone.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My QC shuts off in 30 minutes and doesn't come on again till I turn the key on. They can call my cell phone but I think they also have a super secret, double ought cipher that will key it back on if they have something warranting an override.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
mine shuts off in 1 hr and wont come on til i turn the key.i do have a battery shut down,when i turn the switch back on,battery is live

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
mine shuts off in 1 hr and wont come on til i turn the key.i do have a battery shut down,when i turn the switch back on,battery is live

We have ours set to go off after 12 hours and come back on with the key. We have more then enough battery to last the 12. That way we don't forget to keep hitting the key on long layovers.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Sprinter's battery was bad, replaced the house batteries. 3 new batteries for 356 bucks I paid 65 bucks for all 3.....Not bad. Sprinter battery was free. Turned in 240 lbs of old battery weight for 120 lbs of new battery weight on the house bank.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i take most my dispatch by phone,between QC and fridge,batteries can go quick

How are you set up? My house batteries can run the fridge and the QC for a long time. We often sit for 12 hours with everything running and the APU will not kick in to charge the batteries. We have two house batteries and 4 starters. They are isolated from each other with automatic switches and we can manually isolate them with a hand switch.